Date: 28-03-24  Time: 08:14 am

Author Topic: Un-flippin-believable  (Read 4990 times)

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
Un-flippin-believable
« on: 09 June 2015, 06:55:40 pm »
Got the Fazer MOT'd today.  The tester told me about an R1 he had in the other day, he pulled the front brake lever to do the pressure retention test and the lever broke off in his hand.  Turns out the owner had broken it off, and then GLUED IT BACK ON!!!  He still had the old lever, you could clearly see the glue.

So, I doubt this will be beaten, but what is the STUPIDEST thing you know of somebody doing to their bike?

taylor

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Un-flippin-believable
« Reply #1 on: 09 June 2015, 07:00:59 pm »
when I was seven, I cross threaded the spark plug :( so tried tying in with my boot lace, :'( that's true,
sent from my carafan in tenby, ;)

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 June 2015, 07:15:40 pm »
I remember one episode of CHIPS where one of them fixed a broken chain with a keyring loop...
Intentionally left blank

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 June 2015, 07:29:36 pm »
Years ago my auntie got a bus back from a market, with loads of bags of shopping, and kept wondering why people were giving her funny looks?
Was only 'til she got through the front door of her flat and looked in the mirror that she saw the crash helmet still on her head.
She'd forgotten she rode her scooter there.  :lol 
« Last Edit: 09 June 2015, 09:08:01 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Andy Clap

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
    • Fazer 600
« Reply #4 on: 09 June 2015, 07:48:14 pm »
All good stories, but by stupidest I meant most likely to arrange an impromptu meeting with Snt. Peter at the Pearly Gates  :) 

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 June 2015, 08:07:30 pm »
many years ago I cross threaded a brake pipe into an aluminium slave cylinder on a reliant front brake, the thread stripped so I stuck it in with "plastic padding" so I could drive the couple of miles to buy a new one, however after testing it I decided it was so good I'd do it when I had more time and forgot all about it.
Must have been 6 months later coming up to traffic lights I had to brake extra hard and the joint failed, I managed to stop well over the line with the hand brake but the outcome could have been a lot worse?

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 June 2015, 08:31:18 pm »
I've got 2 within 1minute of each other!

I was at a charity bike meet the other week.

Meeting point in a school carpark where you have to go round a roundabout with a petrol station at it then turn left to school.

Guy 1 parks his bike and asks us, "do you know where the nearest petrol station is?"
Guy 2 says "that reminds me, I put diesel in this last week"

You have been warned, these guys are amongst us  :nana
« Last Edit: 09 June 2015, 08:32:27 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------
Ride fast, ride a red bike :-)

YamFazMan

• FOC-U's Victor Meldrew
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 09 June 2015, 08:53:14 pm »
In my teens to many years ago, the crowd I used to hang around with, had this prat who thought it would be funny to slack off the adjustment to the brakes on this other lads bike.
We were all starting to leave and the lad rode his bike up the side of the café towards the main road, he went to stop and ploughed into the side of a taxi that was traveling along the main road, the lad broke his leg and wrote off his brand new 500 BSA Gold Star Clubman

the PRAT never owned up to doing it but we were all convinced it was this dickhead, he was questioned by the Police but never charged
He certainly got the "Message" he wasn't welcome anymore

ATB YFM   

« Last Edit: 09 June 2015, 11:02:45 pm by YamFazMan »

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 09 June 2015, 08:58:53 pm »
All good stories, but by stupidest I meant most likely to arrange an impromptu meeting with Snt. Peter at the Pearly Gates  :)
C'mon, you can't change it now :(
Not stopped laughing reading some of these :lol
I don't even know who Snt. Peter is :(
Colin
----------------------

celticdog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 09 June 2015, 11:07:00 pm »
Many years ago my mate Chalky was biking along Beachy Head when he came across an attractive young woman walking out completely starkers! Well being a simple lad he didn't know whether to pull in or toss himself off . . . 
Treat everything in life the way a dog would- if you can't eat it or foc it, forget it.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 09 June 2015, 11:49:31 pm »
The worst thing i've ever done many years ago, when i was a despatch rider, was the rear tyre on my superdream was on the limit marks and was due an mot, so i put the bike in gear when it was on the centre stand got my mate to increase the revs and used a sharp flat head screwdriver to give me the 1mm i needed on the centre line :o  It passed the mot :eek
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 June 2015, 09:31:19 am »
this

I noticed a pool of oil on my front rim at work, turns out the fork seal had gone so I mopped it up and tie-wrapped a dishcloth around the seal so it didn't drip onto the wheel while riding.  I took half a day as my brother was testing at oulton park just up the road from the office thinking we could sort it, but the rag wasn't wet so left it till I got home rather than take it apart at the track.

It was months before I remembered and replaced it, the rag was by this time in a sorry state...
Intentionally left blank

Red Ceri

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - 1260S MTS, Le Mans II, RD250C
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 June 2015, 10:52:49 am »
Back in the dark ages when dinosaurs ruled the world......................actually not that far back but nearly in the early 80s

One Saturday morning a mate of mine called Sid thought he would change the brake pads on his bike, think it was a GS750 but could have been one any number of ratty bikes Sid always ended up with, as there was a lot of noise and not much stopping when he applied his front brakes, turns out he was down to all the backing plates on both discs, local stealer didn't have any in stock or Sid being Sid couldn't afford them (he was the son of the local Rag-n-Bone man). So decides to leave them out and continue to ride around only using his back brake until he can afford to get the pads.

All was ok until that afternoon as a group of about 7 of us(including Sid)[/size] [/size]were returning from Southend on the A13 and reached a set of lights in Benfleet at a place called Tarpots, we all rolled up to the lights beside a couple of other bikers we didn't know and the usual revving of engines and banter ensued which, as was the custom at the time, ended up with a mass drag race when the lights went green.

All was fine, as fine can be when 9 bikes all at full throttle launch from a set of lights, until approx 300yds later you reach a rather large roundabout called Saddlers Farm.
The entrance to the roundabout was/is a sharpish left turn which Sid some how arrived at before anyone else, applied his front brakes to then remember he didn't have any, picked his bike up applied the back brake and proceeded with very little retardation to go up over a traffic island (convieniently place pedestrian drop) and then right around the roundabout, it was more of a straight on that way.

The rest of use all realised what was happening and collectively held our breath got around the roundabout and stopped in a layby a little way down the A13 without any sign of Sid anywhere. One of the unknown bikers pulled up made the nutter sign and departed.

One of us went back to the roundabout and as there was no sign of Sid or that an accident had happened we left and traveled home slowly back to Grays where we went to Sid's house. He wasn't there and as all of were chickens, didn't say anything to his dad.

Later that evening we were all down the pub when Sid walked in totally unscathed to recall his version of events, turns out he ended up missing everything coming the opposite way (it was a busy Saturday afternoon) and shot off down the road to Pitsea and proceeded to ride V-SLOWLY home.

Lost touch with Sid over the years but he was always the one that things happened to, as he was always the one to have to make do and mend (often not very well), but he was always happy and funny to be around.
[/size][size=78%] [/size]

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 June 2015, 11:01:03 am »
He that reminds me...

I used to have a CRF450X for greenlaning etc, after riding it with no speedo I found going through speed cameras a somewhat risky affair so popped to ASDA for a cheap wired cycle computer to put on.

The hall effect pickup fit very neatly on the brake caliper (single disk) but to get it snug I had to take it off.  Glued in place, it looked factory!  I put the bolts in and turned them in a few turns with my fingers then checked the wire lengths/placement up the brake line.  Er'indoors came into the garage - we needed to go out in the car...

Got home, took the bike out to try the speedo and promptly went sailing out into the main road off my cul-de-sac as the caliper ejected itself off the disk as soon as I pulled the brake lever - forgot to put the bolts in ...doh  Lucky nothing was coming as the rear brake with motox tyres on tarmac is not too great.
Intentionally left blank

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #14 on: 10 June 2015, 11:28:55 am »
I've got 2 within 1minute of each other!

I was at a charity bike meet the other week.

Meeting point in a school carpark where you have to go round a roundabout with a petrol station at it then turn left to school.

Guy 1 parks his bike and asks us, "do you know where the nearest petrol station is?"

that wasn't me but I did put diesel in my bike other week!!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 10 June 2015, 03:26:05 pm »
I once put Goldfren brake pads in a tuned ZX12R......they didn't stay in long  :eek
Its just a ride

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: 10 June 2015, 03:44:25 pm »
I once put Goldfren brake pads in a tuned ZX12R......they didn't stay in long

Back in the 90's I had the same issue with Firestone tyres on my company car. The lease company insisted they were the ones to use but they were lethal. I found ways to get them changed early rather than wait for them to wear out :rollin
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

sinto

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 10 June 2015, 03:53:12 pm »

that wasn't me but I did put diesel in my bike other week!!

:fish Robbie :pokefun
« Last Edit: 10 June 2015, 03:55:26 pm by sinto »
Colin
----------------------

Ebme Geek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 10 June 2015, 07:13:15 pm »
The son of a friend used a lighter to warm up the end of a bit of PVC pipe to put it onto their fuel tap, in pushing it on shook a little bit of fuel out of the valve which dribled down the pipe, then he proceeded to warm up the other end to push it onto the carb, yep you've guessed it . .   :oops    :smokin
The first liquid to hand to put out the burning pipe was a can of two stroke oil,  :think
Yep he did  :look , just the thought makes me cringe, lucky enough I think the flame was by then just licking at the end of the tube and the oil smuthered it, but still  :groan   Fooking Hell

pilninggas

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 10 June 2015, 09:20:45 pm »
I had an RXS100 when I was 17 (mid90s) sometimes we would take the baffles out (mates and I) and go for a blast up the lanes near the Severn Bridge making maximum noise. One saturday we did this and I bungee the baffle cylinder to my topbox (horrid rickman thing). When we go to the end of the run, the baffles were lost, we went back to see if we could see them to no avail.

Fearing a colosal bollocking from my old man and being a skint student, I elected to raid his joinery store. I located a piece handrail-dowel a similar size to the baffleless exhaust chamber and drilled the middle through with a 3/4" forstner bit. Installed with lockwire, it was reasonably quiet. A few days later as I rode into college with a friend behind me the now charred and embered 'baffle' came flying out and hit his bike!

Deciding that a charcoal baffle was just not long lived enough, I then got one of those sardine tins and bodged it in again with a drilled hole to 'reduce' the volume.

Knowing that if spotted by my dad, the police or the MOT guy I would be tumbled - and long before ebay - I spent a few weeks wondering how I was going to fix the issue.

I then went in the local bikeshop, who was having a bit of an autojumble, amongst the tat was a pair of silencers for either a T500 or a GT500. I spotted that the baffles looked a similar diameter; 'They must be right I thought', in an teenage brainwave that makes me cringe now, taking no measurements I asked the old boy at the counter if I could buy one of the baffles, at first he was reticent, but caved in when a fiver was produced (they would never sell part of a decent system for a classic 2 stroke now!). I bought the baffle and when out to my RXS, it sloted straight in and his mechanic gave me a bit of steel wire to retain it. Stayed there until the bike fell to bits (at 49,000 hard miles)

A whole load of stupidity and teenage idiocy and yet it all worked out okay....

savvy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 June 2015, 01:21:12 pm »
One of the daftest things we did back in the 70's. Being well skint and building cars from multiple donor cars we had a cheap bodge. Mainly ford 105E etc motors, when the big ends or mains started rumbleing, we would drop the sump and bearing shells and put cooking foil behind the shell and rebuild. Upped the oil pump preasure and away we would go!!! until our kid forgot to pierce the oilway holes!!  Gues the outcome? :)

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 June 2015, 07:08:25 pm »
Many moons ago a not very bright friend of mine had a NSR125 and the exhaust came off following one of his many "off's".........he decided to that the best option was to cable-tie it back on.

Same friend decided to paint his brake calipers luminous yellow with heat resistant paint. He thought they looked so cool he painted the discs aswell  ;)

DILLIGAFF

• Muppet

Plucking foccer
    Official FOC-U Saga Lout
    Kock Leeper
  • GP Hero
  • Leeper of cocks
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 June 2015, 10:47:34 am »
Back in my school days I heard of a guy who decided to add some brass stars to his petrol tank as they were the "in" thing.

Apparently he just drilled straight into the side of his tank     :eek :eek :eek

I imagine a sudden torrent of petrol must have alerted him to his error ???
I used to not give a foc, then I discovered Red Bull and now I don't give a flying foc !!!