Date: 24-04-24  Time: 23:59 pm

Author Topic: Motorcyclists Matter – to ensure that biker related questions are compulsory  (Read 1794 times)

bikerboys

• Weekend Warrior
  • full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Motorcyclists account for 1% of all road traffic in the UK, but shockingly account for 20% of fatalities.
 What is even scarier is that prospective car drivers can currently pass their test without answering a single motorbike-related question.

Bennetts have launched a Government petition to ensure bike-related questions are made compulsory in all UK driving tests.

To have this matter raised in the House of Commons 100,000 signatures are required. We need your help.

Please sign the petition now
: http://epetitions.direct.gov.uk/petitions/26272 and share this link with your family and friends.
full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
My daughter has just done here theory and thre was somthing about bikers that came up (maybe twice) I know not enough but is there.
I think all car drivers should 1st be bike riders --- thats the only way to go.
 I was doing the hazard perception test on inne to Help motavate my daughter and was clicking like mad -- its wet -- no leaves on trees- poss icy, man hole cover! white lines ---I failed
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

bikerboys

• Weekend Warrior
  • full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
 signed it  and I would like to add my 2 newlies worth to the comments so far: before a potential biker can take to the road they have to satisfy a trained observer that they are competent enough so to do but a learner car driver can go out on the public roads right from day one so long as they have an instructor or at least a qualified driver sat alongside. Now my gripe as a road user is that these fledling drivers should be made to learn on an off road corse all the basics we take for granted. Clutch control, use of mirrors, accelrate and de celerate using both brakes and engine, reversing round corners, 3 point turns etc etc. It boils my wee to constantly be held up by these L plate drivers trying to learn road craft out on our congested roads, it's just pure stupid and has to stop. I've lost count the number of times I've whitnessed near misses when one of these baby drivers does something silly just because they don't have a clue [not their fault I hasten to add] but simply because they have not been taught what to do in the safety of an off road school. the driving schools charge enough for Gods sakes so isn't it about time some of that money they rake in was put to good use on some decent off road tracks for these new drivers to learn on first rather than letting them loose on the roads?

full licenses don't come in cornflake packets!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Already signed it :)

peterjca

Signed

skooage

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Signed.

Seems like a step in the right direction but I can't help that think this is going to make negligible impact on the way cagers perceive bikers. Throw them on a 125 and see how they find rush hour traffic!... I can dream..

pitternator

• "I'll be back"
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
signed, and fully afree with all comments so far. I know its probably blue sky thinking ... but from little acorns eh ?