Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:25 am

Author Topic: Wheel refurb  (Read 1102 times)

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
  • Rude, Crude and Tattooed
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
Wheel refurb
« on: 10 September 2020, 10:06:19 pm »
I'm looking at getting my wheels re powder coated this winter. I know I'll need new wheel bearings but is its just those or is there anything else I need to buy beforehand?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
Re: Wheel refurb
« Reply #1 on: 10 September 2020, 10:14:00 pm »
Depending on what they’re like, maybe disc bolts and sprocket nuts. Make sure they mask off properly the disc bolt areas. :thumbup
Whizz kid sitting pretty on his two wheeled stallion.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 September 2020, 10:49:43 pm »
Depending on what they’re like, maybe disc bolts and sprocket nuts. Make sure they mask off properly the disc bolt areas. :thumbup

No they are both more or less brand new as ive replaced them within the past year 👍 I was thinking about putting the old ones back in the empty wheel while its powder coated? That way the threads will stay clean wont they?

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 September 2020, 11:20:23 pm »

No they are both more or less brand new as ive replaced them within the past year 👍 I was thinking about putting the old ones back in the empty wheel while its powder coated? That way the threads will stay clean wont they?
I think it's the whole mating surface between the wheel and disk that you need to keep spotless
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 September 2020, 07:13:06 am »
Yep, it’s the area around the threaded hole as well. I had this problem and it’s a bit of a chore getting it back to metal, otherwise your discs will be spaced out slightly by the thickness of powder coat, which is bad news.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 September 2020, 07:17:15 am »
Ah I see, well I will be sure to do all the prep work myself then to make sure its done right 👍

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 September 2020, 09:05:32 am »
Ah I see, well I will be sure to do all the prep work myself then to make sure its done right 👍
I thought they used shot blasting or somthing like that which would just rip off your masking g
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 September 2020, 03:36:13 pm »
The powder coater masks it up, so use a firm that knows what's involved. It's no good going somewhere that normally does garden gates etc. They won't realise how important the masking is.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 September 2020, 10:50:37 pm »
Can anyone recommend the best place to buy good wheel bearings?
My online searchs seem to keep throwing up the brand Koyo? Which seem to be around £45 for the front and back? Sounds cheap to me?

robbo

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Mk 1 Speed Triple
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 30 September 2020, 11:15:37 am »
Got mine from Bike Bearings UK, also known as Marksman Ind. They do specific kits for Gen 1, and no doubt for Gen 2. Give him a call, he'll know exactly what you need. Nothing wrong with Koyo in my opinion. Failing that maybe a phone call to an SKF stockist, if you're after more of a household name make of bearing. From memory mine were about 50 quid a year ago which included a sprocket carrier bearing  which you may not have on a Gen 2.

Dudeofrude

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 September 2020, 01:12:29 pm »
Got mine from Bike Bearings UK, also known as Marksman Ind. They do specific kits for Gen 1, and no doubt for Gen 2. Give him a call, he'll know exactly what you need. Nothing wrong with Koyo in my opinion. Failing that maybe a phone call to an SKF stockist, if you're after more of a household name make of bearing. From memory mine were about 50 quid a year ago which included a sprocket carrier bearing  which you may not have on a Gen 2.

Thanks robbo I'll give them a look. Not fussed which ones I get as long as they are good quality and are going to last. I'm always cautious when its a Chinese brand as I know there are plenty of copy parts out there and just seems quite cheap, but then I've never bought wheel bearings before 🤷‍♂️ haha