Date: 24-04-24  Time: 14:02 pm

Author Topic: prepping for a tour advice required  (Read 1924 times)

cbx63

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
prepping for a tour advice required
« on: 15 May 2015, 08:36:56 pm »
So last year we decided to ride from Yorkshire to Mallorca and after talking to various people I opted to get the bike fettled. Fitted new throttle cables clutch cable, plugs chain sprockets and brakes , oil and filter changed
and a pair of metzeler z6 roadtec , we covered around 2,500 miles and haven't ridden much since after having a shoulder op. My question is, As we are going to do it again this july would I get away with just the oil and filter change, the tyres look barely worn in but as its fully loaded two up on hot rds I don't know if I should change before we go. But then again surely you should get 6k out of a pair of tyres if you don't ride like Rossi shouldn't you ?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
Re: prepping for a tour advice required
« Reply #1 on: 16 May 2015, 05:04:05 am »
I should think you'll be fine, although the tyres could get squared off a bit depending on the roads you choose. 

Even if the tyre wear is greater than you anticipate, you can get them changed over here without any drama and prices are pretty good given the current strength of the pound vs the euro.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 May 2015, 06:47:33 am »
What's the total mileage on the bike? Is it still on the original rear shock? Two-up with luggage is obviously no problems as long as the rear shock still has some life left in it, but if it's getting a bit tired (and original ones are pants) I'd change it. A Hagon's shock would do as a more budget option, or obviously there's the R6 shock conversion, Nitron etc if you wanted something a little better, and have the money to spare.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 May 2015, 06:48:35 am »
Yes, you should be ok,,just don't fret too much,,at least you have been before so you know the going is good,nowt to worry about.

My mate who comes with me,he reads a bit too much and is gullable,he only has a tail pack and he takes a bottle of water and a bottle of oil :eek,,

he read somewhere that it is a good idea to have some :lol :lol :lol :lol

all that in with you clothes,,he has not thought that he has never had to top his water or oil up ever.

Tyres are still a mystery to me,,i forget to note the miles I get from them..touring does fuck the middle up,,just go steady on the throttle.
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 May 2015, 09:14:59 am »
Mallorca ...  :rolleyes   

I've lived here for well over a year now after spending ten years in Denia on the mainland coast.  I've got some doubts about the idea of making the move.

From a visitors point of look-see .... check out the charges for the Ferry crossings from Mainland Ports to Palma return ... with a Bike !!  :eek

You might decide to stay over in Spain and use the cash on good hotels better food and more fuel ... so you can enjoy the brilliant biking roads on that side.

If you are 'touring' from the UK ... you'll need at least two weeks to justify the all in costs per distances involved!

Just thoughts on things that need to be well considered ... in my opinion  ;) ;) 

Stay Safe.  8)   Trev      (The Polar Bear from Brum)

cbx63

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 May 2015, 06:46:55 pm »
Thanks for the replies guys

What's the total mileage on the bike? Is it still on the original rear shock? Two-up with luggage is obviously no problems as long as the rear shock still has some life left in it, but if it's getting a bit tired (and original ones are pants) I'd change it. A Hagon's shock would do as a more budget option, or obviously there's the R6 shock conversion, Nitron etc if you wanted something a little better, and have the money to spare.
Forgot to mention I had the R6 shock mod done last year aswell

purplebear7 where abouts on the island are you ? the ferry was 320 euro return (would be much cheaper with a Residency Certificate) staying on the island for two weeks and taking 3 days to travel each way 

purplebear7

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Honda CB1300S & Sports Sidecar
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 May 2015, 10:18:15 am »
Hi There Again CBX, or can I call you Fred  :\

Our Current Base Camp is near the small market town of Llucmajor ... about twenty five minutes out (at legal speeds) from Palma ... going along the MA19 main motorway road .

You mention Residency Cards  8) that tells me you might know more about this island than many if not most other holiday visitors  :D  Do you have you  friends or family living here?

If you'd like to keep things a bit more secure and private ... we could do Personal Messages on here ... or better still for me ... Direct Emails  ;)

Catch ya at the lights ... Stay Safe  ;)    Trev