Date: 19-04-24  Time: 21:57 pm

Author Topic: Ignition removal  (Read 3957 times)

Mcgroital

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
Ignition removal
« on: 02 May 2015, 12:03:31 am »
Hi folks,  I just took ownership of my Fazer today.  I always wanted one.  Anyway,  the previous owner lost the keys.  But a local lock Smith said he could make a new key. I just need to take the barrel off.  I've located two Allen bolts on the underside of it.  If I take these out would that be all I need to do?
Thanks in advance,  Brendan

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Ignition removal
« Reply #1 on: 02 May 2015, 12:06:59 am »
Welcome to the site Brendan!

rather than explain what you need to do, have a read through this thread:

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,7373.msg70695.html#msg70695

should give you a good idea :)

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 02 May 2015, 12:21:02 am »
Welcome to the forums Brendan, I hope you understand that your post is exactly what we would expect from someone who has stolen a bike and is wanting advice as to how to get it to the point they can sell it on, or from someone that has bought a stolen bike on the cheap and who wants to make it appear more legitimate. Not that I'm suggesting you are in either position but I hope you can understand why folks here might be a bit sceptical, and by answering your question we would be publicly making available information that would potentially be useful for the criminal fraternity so I'm going to suggest that you contact Yamaha UK on 01932 358000.

/Edit - Oh OK, so now you and everyone else who happens to find themselves in possession of a Fazer but no keys has the info you need from the above post which was put up whilst I was writing the above........Suddenly I feel less safe about leaving my bike unattended :groan
« Last Edit: 02 May 2015, 12:40:07 am by PieEater »

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 02 May 2015, 12:59:23 am »
Welcome to the forums Brendan, I hope you understand that your post is exactly what we would expect from someone who has stolen a bike and is wanting advice as to how to get it to the point they can sell it on, or from someone that has bought a stolen bike on the cheap and who wants to make it appear more legitimate. Not that I'm suggesting you are in either position but I hope you can understand why folks here might be a bit sceptical, and by answering your question we would be publicly making available information that would potentially be useful for the criminal fraternity so I'm going to suggest that you contact Yamaha UK on 01932 358000.

/Edit - Oh OK, so now you and everyone else who happens to find themselves in possession of a Fazer but no keys has the info you need from the above post which was put up whilst I was writing the above........Suddenly I feel less safe about leaving my bike unattended :groan

To be fair - the information in the above post has been on the site for over two years, and is readily available to anyone who can use either google, or the in-site search facility, so its hardly a trade secret.

Its not a two minute job either, and most thieves would just have jammed a screwdriver into the ignition and busted the lock itself.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2015, 01:02:11 am by mickvp »

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 02 May 2015, 01:07:14 am »
To be fair - the information in the above post has been on the site for over two years, and is readily available to anyone who can use either google, or the in-site search facility, so its hardly a trade secret.
In which case there is no real reason to replicate the information is there? I appreciate that you were trying to be helpful but hope you can see the situation from my point of view also.

/Edit: I think professional thieves lift bikes into vans and drive off with them to deal with them as they see fit rather than try busting the locks in-situ on the off-chance.

/Edit: I appear to be banned from making any further comments on this thread, whilst I feel sorry for Brendan I feel it's legitimate to have a debate on how much information regarding bypassing security we should be giving to 1st time posters.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2015, 02:22:34 am by PieEater »

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 02 May 2015, 01:20:00 am »
In which case there is no real reason to replicate the information is there? I appreciate that you were trying to be helpful but hope you can see the situation from my point of view also.

I didnt replicate it, I linked to it. Some members are not as good at searching. I dont think someone would be stupid enough to register to the site with their own email address, and then post up how to change a lock if they had just stolen a bike.

Of course I can see your point of view, but its innocent until proven guilty I have found. What sort of impression does it give of this forum when someone registers to ask for advice and they cant get it because of what they could potentially do with it? It would be different if there was a description of a quick method of removing the ignition system, but its a fairly involved process (which includes drilling out fixings) - not a 2 minute job that could be done quietly outside someones house while they sleep.

Anyone who is that concerned with a bike being stolen should put some other security in place to put their mind at rest, a good cemented in ground anchor and quality chain/padlock as a minimum.

Sorry you are not so trusting of people but I will not be editing or deleting my post (and perhaps I should point out that the member in the original thread I linked to only had 11 posts).

Rather than continue to clutter up this thread, if you have any further concerns you are more than welcome to PM myself about it.
« Last Edit: 02 May 2015, 01:22:33 am by mickvp »

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 May 2015, 02:44:26 am »
I'm with Mick on this one PieEater, the information is readily available via google.
Given that the first Google hit is a link to our old Yuku site and the second is a link to the post Mick highlighted then I honestly don't see what all the fuss is.
I'd imagine that if it were a stolen bike then the buyer/seller wouldn't take the time to register on a forum (with their IP address available to us behind the scenes) rather just find an internet cafe or coffee shop, use the wifi anonymously and do a google search.

Also, if it had been stolen by professional thieves, I'd suggest that the Yamaha ignition barrel set up is fairly standard across the range, if not the entire bike industry, so if they've done it once...
Also nothing a BFH or an angle grinder couldn't sort.

I appreciate that as a first post it may not be ideal, but introduction etiquette aside I don't see that it warrants such paranoia.
As to your claim about being banned from commenting further, that's just not true.
Mick merely suggested that rather than diverting this post you raise your point in a separate thread.

Up until now we've been of the opinion that once you sign up all the forums functions be available to you rather than "x number of posts" required to insert pictures and the like, but if this is something that the members feel needs to be addressed then we will.

McGroital, welcome to Foc-U, sorry that it's not been the warmest of welcomes so far.
I hope that you don't prove Mick and I wrong and that you enjoy your time here with us, if you post in introductions where you are then there could be a few Foccers locally to help you out.

Cheers,
Aegis

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 02 May 2015, 07:24:15 am »
Hi brendan

What bike is it mate???

Only saying because if it's a fzs600 then i have the complete top yoke & ignition that i stripped from my old bike......but again i have no keys....1 went with the petrol tank for the cap.

I think the other is at my psrents house for "safe keeping"

Anyway what i do still have is the the little metal tag with the unique number on it that allows more keys to be cut.

Not exactly a great deal of help but another option all the same.

Cheers

Nog
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Mcgroital

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 02 May 2015, 07:31:33 am »
Hi guys, goodness what a thread this has started. I can see the point about making it easier for thieves etc. And there's no offence taken. Just for info I did contact Charles Hurst Yamaha here in Belfast.  They stated that it would be £607 to replace ignition - I think this included new fuel cap lock & underseat lock. At the end of the phone call the guy suggested I take the ignition barrel to a lock Smith(I'm assuming this is because the key is not chipped?). I phoned them and they stated that it would be £60 for the 1st key, 30 for the second.  I Know which option I'd prefer. Any how I'll keep you posted. Brendan

Mcgroital

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 02 May 2015, 07:49:06 am »
Hi Nog,   I just saw your post Thanks for the offer.  I'm going to try what the link above suggests first. B

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2015, 07:54:01 am »
Nice one mate, keep us posted on how you get on with it :)

I'm sure you will be back shortly after that to ask about upgrading suspension etc as well :lol

Mcgroital

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2015, 08:59:44 am »
I will do Mick,  thanks for the help.

b1k3rdude

• Foc-u Helpful Foccer
  • Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - GSF 1250
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 May 2015, 01:07:27 am »
They stated that it would be £607 to replace ignition - I think this included new fuel cap lock & underseat lock. At the end of the phone call the guy suggested I take the ignition barrel to a lock Smith(I'm assuming this is because the key is not chipped?). I phoned them and they stated that it would be £60 for the 1st key, 30 for the second.  I Know which option I'd prefer. Any how I'll keep you posted. Brendan
You can get complete lock sets(ign, tank, seat) off ebay/partfinder for around £75-100

Mcgroital

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 May 2015, 07:10:12 pm »
Thanks b1k3rdude.  That could be the next option if the locksmith can't work his magic.

Mcgroital

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 May 2015, 09:20:20 pm »
£25 to get two keys cut.  Not bad.