Date: 24-04-24  Time: 16:16 pm

Author Topic: FZS600 Rear Caliper  (Read 1362 times)

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
FZS600 Rear Caliper
« on: 26 April 2015, 10:41:00 pm »
Another one on my dad's bike - one piston is well and truly jammed tight!

Looking at FZS1000 calipers but they seem to be few and far between - I've also read that the XJR1300 caliper will fit (if it's a bluespot) - has anyone on here done that swap and can say for certain that the XJR1300 does fit?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: FZS600 Rear Caliper
« Reply #1 on: 27 April 2015, 06:21:23 am »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

kebab19

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 April 2015, 08:21:37 am »
Yes, XJR1300 rear caliper fits - I have a Silverspot rear fitted to mine.
Same installation as FZS1000, rear some bracket filing required.

3legs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 April 2015, 09:04:11 pm »
I recently stripped all the callipers down and the trick with a car tyre inflator worked a treat with the front ones.

The rear ones were stuck fast and I got them out by using a pair of mole grips on the lip of the piston and putting the grips in a vice. The pistons are made of stern stuff and the grips didn't bend them out of shape. Then I held the calliper and twisted if from side to side and slowly it turned. keep twisting it and eventually they came out

Cleaned the pistons and fitted new seals. They were quite tight going back in but eventually they went in and working fine now

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 April 2015, 07:05:33 am »
Bit of TLC at least once a year and all of this can be avoided.
Best time for me is late summer so i can take my time on a warm sunny day, push the pistons out 3-4mm one at a time, clamping the others, then clean them up with brake cleaner spray and a toothbrush, then finish with red rubber grease. You can buy little pots of it on Ebay.
Then at least everything's gonna get through winter in good nick, functioning properly, and you won't get caught out having to do the job in the freezing cold when it's starts to seize through neglect.
If you can be arsed, servicing them twice a year is even better for obvious reasons, but a minimum once a year is a must, and the more you do it the more efficient you'll get at it.
Piston seizing is one of those things that can creep up on you long term, but when these brakes are working 100% correctly they are quite awesome, and you won't want them behaving any other way after sorting them out.  :)
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.