Date: 29-03-24  Time: 12:06 pm

Author Topic: AWKWARD!!!  (Read 4862 times)

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
AWKWARD!!!
« on: 15 April 2015, 08:34:49 pm »
Last week our neighbour had a little accident in his car with a bike, sounds like a slow speed SMDSY episode, but the only damage was to his car.... anyway....he's a bit anti bike at the mo.....

This evening we were having a glass of red wine with said neighbour and he starts saying how he reckons he saw "the little toe rag" on his bike today, how he "tore away from the lights like a scolded cat" and how he had "called him every name under the sun" going on to mention how he hoped that the rider would one day kill himself and no one else.

He added that the chap was riding a zazer, vazer or something like that "Was it a  :faz ?" asks me.  "yes, yes, that's it a Fazer" comes the reply.  "What colour was it?" I ask thinking, toe rag, tore away from lights, Sittingbourne..... HAD to be Dazza :b

"red" came the reply "and he had matching leathers"......

"what time was it?" I ask.  "about 9.15 this morning" comes the reply... ahhhh the penny drops....... "ummmmmmm that was me" I say gingerly......AWKWARD!!!!!!!!    :o :evil

Ah, the joys of a day off work and popping out to get a pic for the 2015 picture challenge.......  And to be fair, I did gun it away from the lights, and it was quick because my bike is red,  and the sun was out, and the bike was sounding lovely.... :thumbup BUT, it was all in the name of safety because I had filtered to the front of the traffic and wanted to make a clean get away from the driver to my left in case he didn't see me and drove into me....... honest! :D

Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: AWKWARD!!!
« Reply #1 on: 15 April 2015, 08:41:38 pm »
haha! oh dear.... did he hang about long after that or did he make a sharp exit to get away from the awkwardness :lol

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 April 2015, 12:24:27 am »
Hahahah that's awesome

I generally suffer from most of my friends not really understanding the whole bike thing and one or two are a bit anti-bike. Thankfully the two who are pro-bike are women and want to go pillion so... I'm not complaining ;)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 April 2015, 12:46:23 am »
 :rollin

Brilliant!

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #4 on: 16 April 2015, 09:50:53 am »
The thing is, you can tear away from the lights in a perfectly safe and legal manner, sticking to speed limits etc, but to the average joe bloggs in their crappy cars it will be perceived like a rocket firing off. The combination of noise, close proximity and large acceleration differential from their car (or anything they've every driven before) will just seem way too fast, so you be a loon. Average Joe will consider both high acceleration and high speed as one and the same. So going zero to 40mph in a second or two will be considered outrageously fast, but cruising at 90mph on the motorway is deemed acceptable.

At the end of the day, it really just deep routed jealousy, feck 'um!

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 16 April 2015, 12:18:23 pm »
I had a similar thing a few years ago where I was riding to work and I passed one of my colleagues in his car....so I gave a friendly wave at him.
Now he knows I have a bike, what colour it is and even the clothes I wear as I generally walk past in my gear in the office.

He obviously did not recognise me (as he pointed out later) so his response was to make hand gestures at me and have a swearing rant....then in a fit of road rage he deliberately and dangerously cut me up then brake tested me.

I pulled him (and his manager) aside in the office and I asked him to explain his actions towards a motorcycle that I had witnessed while driving to work. He explained the "kn*b biker" had cut him up previously and had made rude gestures. You can imagine his face as I then calmly advised him it was me and I was waving at him  :)

I got a written apology and ironically last year he came to me for advice as he was about to sit his bike test and buy his first bike.
Unfortunately he did not take my advice and buy a Fazer, instead opting for a Bandit...... :rolleyes

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #6 on: 16 April 2015, 12:33:11 pm »
You should have asked him if he would prefer you just killed yourself there and then  :lol .

I mean, you don't want to be upsetting drivers. Best we all just do a pact suicide and be done with it.

Bikers  :rolleyes
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

fivetide

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 16 April 2015, 12:58:15 pm »
ROSPA et al advocate getting up to speed as quickly as possible. Not speeding but getting to the limit and using the performance of the vehicle. Therefore, rocketing away from the lights is advanced motoring ;)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 16 April 2015, 01:46:07 pm »
Hahaha, I like it :D Acceleration ftw!

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 16 April 2015, 03:32:53 pm »
Always thought the speed limit was a maximum not a target  :)

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 16 April 2015, 03:57:54 pm »
Although that is fairly accurate, it is still responsible to get up to and maintain pace - this is taught in the driving tests these days and failure to make "good progress" will be scored against you and potentially cause a fail if severe enough (typically in the case of dual carriageways).

Instructors want you to use the power of the vehicle sensibly and controlled to get up to speed quickly though admittedly there was some focus on "economic" driving a few years back - I'm not sure if they still do that. My instructor never really mentioned it, but my friends from a different company did.

Accelerating fast from the lights? Good! (Don't exceed the speed limit though!)
Wheelies and burnouts? BAD!

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 16 April 2015, 05:05:25 pm »
Although that is fairly accurate, it is still responsible to get up to and maintain pace - this is taught in the driving tests these days and failure to make "good progress" will be scored against you and potentially cause a fail if severe enough (typically in the case of dual carriageways).

Instructors want you to use the power of the vehicle sensibly and controlled to get up to speed quickly though admittedly there was some focus on "economic" driving a few years back - I'm not sure if they still do that. My instructor never really mentioned it, but my friends from a different company did.

Accelerating fast from the lights? Good! (Don't exceed the speed limit though!)
Wheelies and burnouts? BAD!

What about a rolling burnout with the front in the air accelerating from the traffic lights, under the speed limit?  :lol

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 16 April 2015, 05:34:14 pm »
I don't see why not ;)

Driving standards people might have an issue though... I'd guess at something along the lines of the wheel breaking traction with the road surface indicates that you are no longer in control perhaps? Bastards take the fun out of everything... Drifting is a sport after all :D

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #13 on: 17 April 2015, 09:58:42 am »

Yep, chap who took his Mod2 before me was failed for doing 40 in a NSL area. Harsh, but justified. He'd just come off a round about in a 40mph zone, failed to spot he NSL signs (or absence of small 40 repeater signs on street lights), then proceeded to ride at 40mph for a mile along a perfectly dry, clear and wide road... Probably wasn't 100% sure of limit so figured he'd play it safe. But no, bad obs and failed for not making progress.

Of course this was Enfield. Probably would be different elsewhere, like in Wales. Where having just spent a week visiting family, it appears all Welsh cars only have two speeds; zero or 40. Regardless of whether its a 30 zone or NSL, they all pootle along at 40mph... WTF?