Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:24 pm

Author Topic: FZ1 Fazer - Indicator Wires are the same colour  (Read 1591 times)

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
FZ1 Fazer - Indicator Wires are the same colour
« on: 09 April 2015, 09:15:44 pm »
I must point out that I am absolutely mince with electrics....completely incompetent  :rolleyes

Replacing one of the rear indicators on the FZ1 as water had got in and rotted the inside.
Ordered a new indicator but the wires were too short. Annoyingly had to cut back the old cable, remove the connector from the new indicator and wire them up using electrical connectors.

Question I have is all the wires are the same colour so will it make a difference which way I connect them?
I tried both ways and indicator works whatever way I connect but will one way create any kind of issues.....bad earth, battery drain etc......

May seem like an odd question but when I connected back up to the Optimate the charger has been running on full juice for ages making me think there is a problem.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 Fazer - Indicator Wires are the same colour
« Reply #1 on: 09 April 2015, 10:59:34 pm »
Assuming the indicators are plastic and don't have any metal bits and bobs that connect to the bike it should work either way but as a rule the outer of the lamp holder goes to earth and the center pin goes to positive.

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
Re: FZ1 Fazer - Indicator Wires are the same colour
« Reply #2 on: 09 April 2015, 11:29:48 pm »
Did not connect as far as the lamp unit itself just cut the end connector off the wire from the new indicator and cut halfway down the old wire and joined to make a longer wire.