Date: 28-03-24  Time: 17:27 pm

Author Topic: Fork Oil Replacement  (Read 6022 times)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Fork Oil Replacement
« on: 05 April 2015, 01:32:40 pm »
I thought this would be straight forward, so got out the haynes book of lies and looked it up. Index referred me to chapter which referred me to chapter 6 which referred me back to chapter one.
Finally discovered that you had to use the relevant bits out of the removal device and installation chapter which isn't straight forward.

So anyone got and easy step by step guide handy?

Cheers
Nick
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Fork Oil Replacement
« Reply #1 on: 05 April 2015, 03:14:07 pm »
If it's just an oil change, take wheel, mudguard, forks off.
When you undo top bolt on forks be careful as it is spring loaded so keep a good grip on the ratchet and fork when undoing it or you'll lose your teeth.
May even be an idea to slacken off the tension adjusters first.
If you haven't already bought it, i would seriously suggest buying 15w oil, it makes a big difference to handling in my opinion.
Put the correct amount of oil in first with the fork fully extended (after pumping the old oil out as much as possible), there are 2 levels given so get the correct one, 98/99 models don't have adjusters so need more oil, then you need to get the air gap between the oil and the top of the forks the same so they are equal. Not sure what the gap is off the top of my head?
Then put it all back together.
When putting forks back on put the spindle through the forks so you can make sure the fork legs are straight before properly tightening them back up, and use a torque wrench.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 05 April 2015, 03:40:24 pm »
Cheers Darrsi,

This is just an oil replacement as there is nothing wrong with the forks but I have had the bike 5 years and I've never done it.
Also i was going to go with your recommendation with regards to fork oil anyway.
Having just had a look at the bike this is a bit more involved than i thought, i.e. just a case of draining oil and replacing with forks in situ.
So be prepared for lots of questions in the near future as i wasn't doing this yet but getting ready.
Just a couple of questions, first the top bolt you refer to is that the one on the top the the preload adjuster sits through?
And the tension adjusters you mean the preload adjuster? Pumping out do you just compress the forks? Does the oil drain out of the top?
Oooh and what is the correct amount of oil? Its an 02 version. An the air gap is how much? Is this in the Haynes manuel?
Sorry thats more than 2 questions but a little nervous about this.

Nick

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 05 April 2015, 03:57:26 pm »
Yes, yes, yes and yes.

02-03 models, 465ml - 132mm air gap

For some reason when i last did mine the levels didn't tally up even though i put the same amount in, which is why the air gap is the accurate way to do things.
« Last Edit: 05 April 2015, 04:05:18 pm by darrsi »

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 05 April 2015, 05:06:08 pm »
Darrsi.

You are a gentleman and scholar, thank you feeling a bit more confident about it now.

Must remember to support the front of the bike before i start. :rolleyes

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 05 April 2015, 05:24:51 pm »
Oh yeah.......forgot that bit  :lol

Fraser

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 05 April 2015, 06:27:14 pm »
I changed mine a couple of weeks ago and decided to go with 12.5 w oil, ( bottle of 10w plus a bottle of 15w,  mix thoroughly ) not as soft and quisy as 10w and not quite so harsh as 15w, this not a rcommendation, its just what I did and so far it seems a reasonable compromise .
supporting the front end is actually not that simple if you don't have some proper gear, I pushed long 1/2" socket set extensions into the front engine mount tube, one from each side and then supported them on axle stands, 
Old enough to know better

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 05 April 2015, 06:57:47 pm »
I changed mine a couple of weeks ago and decided to go with 12.5 w oil, ( bottle of 10w plus a bottle of 15w,  mix thoroughly ) not as soft and quisy as 10w and not quite so harsh as 15w, this not a rcommendation, its just what I did and so far it seems a reasonable compromise .
supporting the front end is actually not that simple if you don't have some proper gear, I pushed long 1/2" socket set extensions into the front engine mount tube, one from each side and then supported them on axle stands,

After a bit of reading, apparently it doesn't quite work out like that by doing a 50/50 mix with a 10w and 15w to get 12.5w.
Not entirely sure why, 'cos i would've done the same?
But if you're happy with the results though then no need to worry about it.
It's nothing major but to get 12.5w you'd need 55% of the 15w and 45% of the 10w.

http://www.widman.biz/English/Calculators/Mixtures.html   (2nd calculator)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 14 June 2015, 04:19:35 pm »
ok not got round to this yet due to life.
Now i have noticed that the right fork has oil smears up the fork tube grrrr.

So read the haynes manual properly seems ok.
Its just the oil seals that need replacing isn't it my dust seals seem ok or shall i replace them as well?
Also the manual says replace the damper rod bolt washer as well? Does this need to be done as a quick search on ebay didn;t produce any?
And finally is the haynes manual a good guide is does it over complicate things i.e. can i miss out a stage do i need to disassemble the whole fork to do this?

Cheers nick

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 15 June 2015, 04:04:43 pm »
YouTube has videos of fork dismantling and seal replacement worth having a look to see if it's a job you fancy taking on, loads of help on here if you get stuck. Loosen top yoke clamp bolts leaving bottom yoke bolts tight to slightly loosen fork tops, bottom yoke will hold forks this will make undoing them much easier with out damaging fork legs. Good luck.
There ain't arf been some clever bastards

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 12 August 2015, 06:59:16 am »
So finally go ground to the oil and seal replacement, relatively straight forward a couple of minor apprentice type mistakes :o

But what a difference the 15 w oil makes, didn't think there would be that much difference, much more stable under braking.

This is a good upgrade only thing is the back end feels soft now!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 12 August 2015, 07:33:36 am »
So finally go ground to the oil and seal replacement, relatively straight forward a couple of minor apprentice type mistakes :o

But what a difference the 15 w oil makes, didn't think there would be that much difference, much more stable under braking.

This is a good upgrade only thing is the back end feels soft now!

I've always said that the 15w oil makes a really nice difference.
It could always be due to the old 10w oil in the forks being knackered i s'pose, but it's a great feeling when you turn a corner and it's all much firmer up front.
I would never use 10w oil again.

Is the rear shock an original?
If so what sort of mileage has it done?

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 12 August 2015, 10:52:25 pm »
Oil wise i reckon both, but its marvellous.

Rear shock is orginal, in good condition with 24,000 miles on it. Preload is one notch into hard.
Work mate suggested a place near us called Protech i think, take in the old shock, for 160 quidish they give you a new multi adjustable one with original end fittings to bolt straight back in. They will get the right spring weight as well. He rates them as he uses them on his drag bikes as well.
I feel an all nighter at work coming on to pay for that. :D

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 13 August 2015, 06:14:46 am »
Oil wise i reckon both, but its marvellous.

Rear shock is orginal, in good condition with 24,000 miles on it. Preload is one notch into hard.
Work mate suggested a place near us called Protech i think, take in the old shock, for 160 quidish they give you a new multi adjustable one with original end fittings to bolt straight back in. They will get the right spring weight as well. He rates them as he uses them on his drag bikes as well.
I feel an all nighter at work coming on to pay for that. :D

You could do a lot worse to be honest, that sounds like a bit of a plan for that money.  :)

Chris

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 19 August 2015, 03:24:25 am »
I'll be doing this over winter and there is a great guide with very helpful pictures in this thread on the old site:

http://fazerowners.yuku.com/topic/23188/HOWTO-Forks-Seals-Bushes-and-Oil#.VdPmh_-FNMs

Chris

It wouldn't be fun if it was easy, I just wish it wasn't this much fun.

freeware

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 23 August 2015, 06:54:55 pm »
I'm posting picture of my 'fork oil' ( :eek ) just in case someone wonders: 'should I change or should I not?'  ;)

I own the bike for 3 years now and this is the first time I've changed fork oil - no idea when was the last time it's been changed!

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 24 August 2015, 01:04:12 pm »
That looks a lot better than mine when I change it.  I usually find it emulsified and milky looking

freeware

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 24 August 2015, 01:35:15 pm »
I thought it's bad but you're right, emulsification would be next stage.

Anyway... a fresh bottle of 15W on order!

freeware

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 25 August 2015, 08:40:48 pm »
Oil refilled. Forks assembled and 50 miles later the summary is: What a difference!!! I've just joined PRAISE 15W OIL CLUB!  ;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 25 August 2015, 08:59:26 pm »
Oil refilled. Forks assembled and 50 miles later the summary is: What a difference!!! I've just joined PRAISE 15W OIL CLUB!  ;)

It probably is a combination of very tired old thinner oil replaced with brand new thicker oil, but yes it does make a great difference in my opinion.
« Last Edit: 25 August 2015, 09:00:16 pm by darrsi »

freeware

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 25 August 2015, 09:03:17 pm »
It probably is a combination of very tired old thinner oil replaced with brand new thicker oil, but yes it does make a great difference in my opinion.

Probably is darrsi but I have an impression it was the best way to spend 10 quid on this bike :)

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 26 August 2015, 01:13:43 pm »
Here here.
Trouble is i did this 3 weeks ago now and have only ridden it once, 1 week away in holiday, bloody rain.