Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:16 pm

Author Topic: Driving whilst presenting TV.  (Read 3134 times)

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
Driving whilst presenting TV.
« on: 26 March 2015, 10:16:03 pm »
I have noticed that a lot of TV programs have people driving along whilst presenting a the program or being interviewed by it. I think this is an awful thing as it is multi tasking and driving should not be a multi task. Or is it just me being fussy?

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
Re: Driving whilst presenting TV.
« Reply #1 on: 27 March 2015, 02:08:58 am »
They're on back of a lorry  :rollin,
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 March 2015, 07:20:43 am »
The ones on flat beds are normally for your tv programmes, where acting is involved, so you'll still get the road bumps and car movements, but they'll normally give it away by taking their eyes off the road for long enough to mow down a load of pedestrians on a zebra crossing.

Otherwise cars will be camera'd up at different positions to give loads of different shots, ie: Top Gear is a perfect example, and more than likely have a camera vehicle shadowing them.

The programmes you see about dangerous or learner drivers are certainly real, and if you see a camera car in front or behind them then avoid getting too close at all costs.

I'm a terrible passenger in a car these days, and i'm actually getting worse as time goes on, as i can't believe how blase people are when driving a car and to me don't seem to see even 50% of the dangers that i'm looking at.
I'd rather sit in the back and have the "out of sight, out of mind" attitude 'cos some drivers simply freak me out with their lack of awareness on the road.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 March 2015, 08:08:20 am »
The ones on flat beds are normally for your tv programmes, where acting is involved, so you'll still get the road bumps and car movements, but they'll normally give it away by taking their eyes off the road for long enough to mow down a load of pedestrians on a zebra crossing.

Otherwise cars will be camera'd up at different positions to give loads of different shots, ie: Top Gear is a perfect example, and more than likely have a camera vehicle shadowing them.

The programmes you see about dangerous or learner drivers are certainly real, and if you see a camera car in front or behind them then avoid getting too close at all costs.

I'm a terrible passenger in a car these days, and i'm actually getting worse as time goes on, as i can't believe how blase people are when driving a car and to me don't seem to see even 50% of the dangers that i'm looking at.
I'd rather sit in the back and have the "out of sight, out of mind" attitude 'cos some drivers simply freak me out with their lack of awareness on the road.
+1 to that,Darrsi!
Thinking about it theres only been a few drivers I have felt completely safe with....
One was an boss years ago who was IAM & thought Far Ahead(like motorcyclists learn to do)
Then there were a couple of mates, both experienced bike riders, who I could tell were thinking like me and were rarely caught by surprise.
Most car drivers I know dont  have much awareness,focus,forward planning/scanning in their driving "plan" and hence  become "reactive"  to developing situations a bit too late in the day for my peace of mind.
But then the Car driving Test is pretty basic stuff.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 March 2015, 08:51:39 am »
Probably the only person i ever felt safest in a car with was my oldest brother, but he was an HGV driver and biker so that kind of speaks for itself as to why.

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 27 March 2015, 09:24:37 am »
I have been driven round by my daughters so have no fear  :lol
Its just a ride

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 27 March 2015, 09:52:32 am »
You want to try my Mother-in-law :lol

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 27 March 2015, 10:19:59 am »
I have been driven round by my daughters so have no fear  :lol
  :rollin :rollin
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 27 March 2015, 10:36:52 am »
I'm not convinced that presenting a show in a car is that bad, but it does depend on the format. All of the ones that I've seen generally involve one or more people sat in a car talking about some sort of subject but they are focusing on driving and not the camera - it's very rare that they turn to look directly at the camera. In this situation, it's not really any different to conversing with a passenger - in some cases this is exactly how it goes with two people talking in a car and it just being filmed from a few small discreet cameras.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 27 March 2015, 10:40:58 am »
In contrast, i've taken car driving mates for a spin who've never been on a bike before and it scared the crap out of them.
Mainly because of the vulnerability and lack of protection you have.
That alone makes you want to know what's going on around you, and the good thing is it changed their way of thinking about bike riders.
In fact, i could hear one of them constantly swearing at cars that were pulling out on me, or cutting me up, he was fuming when we stopped but i explained it's a daily occurrence.  :grumble :lol

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 27 March 2015, 10:47:58 am »
I'm not convinced that presenting a show in a car is that bad, but it does depend on the format. All of the ones that I've seen generally involve one or more people sat in a car talking about some sort of subject but they are focusing on driving and not the camera - it's very rare that they turn to look directly at the camera. In this situation, it's not really any different to conversing with a passenger - in some cases this is exactly how it goes with two people talking in a car and it just being filmed from a few small discreet cameras.

I've been riding since i was 17, and never bothered driving a car, so i s'pose it's built in for me to be as alert as possible.
That's why i can never understand why people want earphones for music while riding a bike, that to me is a massive no no, hearing is as important as seeing for me, and it would totally distract me.

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 27 March 2015, 11:25:09 am »
I remember giving a one of my guys a lift home from work once and he asked if I was paranoid  :lol  as I was constantly looking over my shoulder and in the rear view mirror .
a couple of months later he returned the favour and it all became clear ....talk about tunnel vision  :eek
Its just a ride

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 27 March 2015, 11:57:07 am »

I've been riding since i was 17, and never bothered driving a car, so i s'pose it's built in for me to be as alert as possible.
That's why i can never understand why people want earphones for music while riding a bike, that to me is a massive no no, hearing is as important as seeing for me, and it would totally distract me.

I have both a car and bike license and use both fairly regularly. I understand a lot of the opinions from bikers towards cars, but it can very much be a case of painting everyone with the same brush - not all car drivers are bad and it is very hard for someone to identify a "good" driver (as everyone has their own opinion) but very easy to identify a "bad" driver.

I'll defend cars to a point, as often the drivers are at fault, but I do get the sense that a lot of people get a bit of a superiority complex from being only a biker and not driving a car. I'm not suggesting that you are darrsi, its just a general observation. Both groups have their ups and downs and there have been plenty of bikers I've seen on the road do absolutely crazy things that I would never consider to be safe or responsible

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 27 March 2015, 01:30:31 pm »
Believe me, I will be the first person to have a go at an arsehole biker, there are 2 that piss me off every morning going to work.
And of course I respect the fact that some drivers are better than others, and that vision is not so good, etc.
But the reality is I've actually felt unsafe in some cars before, but maybe I'm just being over sensitive, although I don't think that's such a bad trait to have as a full time biker.  :D

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 27 March 2015, 01:47:30 pm »
Just to add as a bad car driver I've almost wiped out more than one biker who wasn't to be seen one second and was then booling past me at god knows what speed a second later. If I'd have pulled out to overtake based on my first look my second would  have been picking them up from floor.  Based on my own shortcomings I always overtake at traffic speed + a bit and not warp speed but that's just me.

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 27 March 2015, 02:20:04 pm »
You want to try my Mother-in-law :lol

Why?  is she quite fit?  Would she mind? Could we organise a ride out and all join in?  :b
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 March 2015, 08:09:21 pm »
Believe me, I will be the first person to have a go at an arsehole biker, there are 2 that piss me off every morning going to work.
And of course I respect the fact that some drivers are better than others, and that vision is not so good, etc.
But the reality is I've actually felt unsafe in some cars before, but maybe I'm just being over sensitive, although I don't think that's such a bad trait to have as a full time biker.  :D

Nah your just a control freak :lol
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!