baldy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fj1200
    • View Profile
arses
« on: 16 March 2015, 08:48:39 pm »
hello chaps,I've  had the dredded exup fault show up on my bike[gen 1 fazer 1000]after stripping and copper slipping the valve I found a frayed exup cable.i've replaced  the cables with genuine new ones and now the bike feels underpowered and the fault has displayed once more and then not reappeared again.any ideas where I've foced up?any suggestions welcome,i'm at the point of throwing the towel in with this bike.its great apart from the constant exup problems. :'(

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: arses
« Reply #1 on: 16 March 2015, 08:58:40 pm »
Have a look at the cable adjustment section here - http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/exupmaintenance.html it sounds like possibly you may have the cables adjusted incorrectly (too tight).

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 March 2015, 10:30:25 pm »
You did fit them the right way round, I trust?  You wouldn't be the first to put the opening cable on the closing side of the pulley, put it that way. :)

Also, is the valve moving freely before you fit the pulley?  You should be able to flick it open/closed with thumb and forefinger ... sort of flip-flopping easily between open and closed.  If you have to apply any kind of effort, the valve spindle might be slightly bent causing it to bind.  It can be straightened.

I feel your frustration but persevere and once it's sorted, you'll be able to stay on top of the routine maintenance very easily. :)

baldy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fj1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 March 2015, 05:51:23 pm »
thanks for that gents,cant open the link 'web page expired' according to my computor.i've checked for cable right way roundness and all appears well.there is the slightest amount of resistance when twirling the valve with finger and thumb but the valve appears to be in good nick,i wonder if I've not left enough slack in the cables or some such,foc knows really!

eddie

• FOC-U Lost Boy.
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 17 March 2015, 09:24:25 pm »
3mm slack at valve side to side  movements ...falcon may correct me tho

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 March 2015, 06:48:17 am »
3mm is a shade slack ... I aim for 1.5mm but the acid test is whether the fault code shows :)

Sounds like the OP's valve spindle is slightly bent or the valve is snagging for some other reason.  It doesn't take much to stop the servo motor from turning.

baldy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fj1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 March 2015, 09:16:08 pm »
thanks Mike for putting me on the right path.the valve is free until the bolts that hold the pulley holder in place are tightened.even finger tight is enough to cause binding.i have a look at the valve and can't see any warping,the only thing of note is a bit of wear on the back of the pulley plate [I'm sure that's not what its called] it appears that it has been rubbing against the exup valve which has matching groves.It is as if the valve is a fraction too long for its housing,but I guess it cant have grown,so feck only knows whats going on! any advice more than welcome,i'm going to have a sit down and a beer before I start loosing my temper like a big tart.

baldy

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - fj1200
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 April 2015, 04:43:16 am »
with heavy heart I have to announce that the fazer has been traded in as I had to decide wether to cut my losses and break even or keep on chucking money and time on the off chance that the exup woes would ever be resolved.A great shame as the fazer was the best bike bar one that I have owned during my 33 year riding career.I have some parts that I will put up for sale once I've sorted out whats in the garage.Many thanks to all of you who have helped answer many queries during my ownership of the fazer and good luck to yer all....I'd best foc orf then!

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 April 2015, 10:15:59 am »
Sounds like the OP's valve spindle is slightly bent

Not the first time I've seen this possibility mentioned. So if you have a bike, and one minute the EXUP is working fine, and then suddenly it stops, how can this happen? Or is it just people taking them apart for servicing and dropping the things or otherwise bashing them? If they turn as freely when all ok as Mike mentions, it can't be like they're under any great strain in situ. Puzzled.

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 April 2015, 02:35:26 pm »
I'm sorry that you decided to trade in the bike as the EXUP fault was most certainly fixable.  There was no reason why it should have been expensive, either.

I don't know why some valves occasionally bend but I'd guess that cack-handed maintenance is the most likely cause.  Usually the amount of distortion is so slight that eyeballing it won't reveal it clearly.  A straight edge is required to check the alignment - that, and a certain feel for things mechanical. :)

I hope whatever you got in exchange is as good as the Fazer.