Date: 24-04-24  Time: 14:58 pm

Author Topic: Chopped the Fazer 8 in for a Tracer....  (Read 9436 times)

Fatwasp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
Chopped the Fazer 8 in for a Tracer....
« on: 08 March 2015, 03:09:07 pm »
I've had two years of enjoyment on the Fazer which I maintain is the most underrated bike in the market today. However, I popped in to South Wales Superbikes in Thursday and Dave threw the keys for the Tracer demo' bike at me. I took it for a 30 minute spin and fell for it completely. It is light, extremely torquey and very comfortable. The seating position affords a great view over traffic (I'm 5'8") and the bike is very flickable without being skittish. It is very, very easy to ride quickly and has a larger tank and better economy than the Fazer which is important to me as this is my daily commuter. I'm completely smitten and was able to chop then Fazer in and lower my monthly payments through a PCP deal with nothing to find... which proves that the residuals on the Fazer aren't as bad as reported. Anyway.... I guess I'll have to find another forum. All the best folks.

kitcrazy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 1000sx
    • View Profile
Re: Chopped the Fazer 8 in for a Tracer....
« Reply #1 on: 08 March 2015, 04:55:33 pm »
great bike mate.i will be picking mine up soon. Maybe they will let us stay :lol .did it come with any extras?and what colour did you go for ? ive gone for the Race blu :thumbup

Fatwasp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 08 March 2015, 06:29:15 pm »
No extras mate. They've sold six in a week. I've gone for the matte grey. Love it.... frustrated with running-in restrictions but overall, really pleased with it. Headlights are fantastic too with the led lights.

I have heard a rumour that Yamaha will be putting prices up and that they are nearly sold out. I doubt that though.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 08 March 2015, 09:16:50 pm »
I'm slightly jealous. I think they will make a great all rounder. The Fazer8 is a good all round bike but that triple engine just adds a lot more.
I think they will sell loads.
One thing, whats the wind protection like on the Tracer? I find the Fazer8 really good but from the pics it looks one area where the Tracer might not equal the Fazer8. 

Fatwasp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 March 2015, 05:06:39 pm »
Just done thirty motorway miles with the screen on its highest setting in the pissing rain. I'm 5'8" and found the protection on a par with the Fazer. I had a touring screen fitted on the Fazer. First impressions were that the Tracer has a smaller screen but the overall front profile also includes hand guards and quite a high light cluster. Overall, I was fairly snug and had dry hands so no complaints there.

sure2ride

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • - Royal Enfield
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 April 2015, 01:38:27 pm »
Must admit I've got my eye on a Tracer. too pricey for me at the moment, but one day.......Meantime the Fazer 8 is still a great bike so I can wait.  :'(
If you want to give God a good laugh, tell him your plans.

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 April 2015, 10:06:43 pm »
well done, enjoy it,,

still , no reason to leave this place,,anyone can still join in,especially on meetups
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 April 2015, 06:46:56 am »
Well done on the Tracer!
Think it would have been my first choice 2 months back (Had I been a bit younger! :lol )
Have to say though I am more than happy with the MT-07 which has surpassed all my expectations re handling,engine character & flexibility. Few minor niggles like poor left hand switch gear and minimal paint on rad but nothing I cant live with. Almost 1000 miles up now so engine nicely run in ready for the summer.
My local dealer has sold 20 of the Tracers in the last month and the latest batch look brilliant in their colour scheme & are well equipped as standard.
IMO a far nicer bike than the Fazer 8. Enjoy!

Fatwasp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 April 2015, 04:33:34 pm »
Thanks mate. Yes, it's all run-in now. Easy to ride, great power...the front is a bit lively when you give it the beans.... But then you can always leave the traction control on!!!! Chuffed to bits with the Tracer. The MT07 is a great bit of kit too by all accounts. It's great showing the race rep boys a clean pair of heals....

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 April 2015, 05:03:48 pm »
Just did a rideout from Streetbike,Halesowen to the Bikefest at RAF Cosford in company with over 130 bikes. My mate Jason who sold me the MT-07 was riding his Tracer with his young son pillion. The fact that hes bought one tells me its a brilliant bike! :lol

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 02 May 2015, 03:02:33 am »
No need to go anywhere buddy, loads of us on here have swapped bikes and remained as members.
Saying that, a few of us do end up with another Fazer again for some reason...
;)

Glad your enjoying the new toy, would you be interested in doing a wee comparison post for the site after a couple of months of ownership?
Pros and cons when compared to your Fazer?
I know that there are a few folks looking at trading in for the Tracer, I must admit when I saw one in the flesh last week it looks a tidy wee machine.

Either way, enjoy yourself and stay safe.

Cheers,
Aegis.

Fatwasp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 02 May 2015, 10:20:23 am »
Happy to oblige. Just rolled over 1000 miles so I'll post something soon.

Fatwasp

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 18 May 2015, 07:12:49 pm »
Ok thoughts so far on the Tracer,

The riding position is roomy and upright with great visibility. The bike itself is narrow and light with a riding position that is canted slightly forward. The bars are wide in comparison to the Fazer with loads of leverage which  makes for a flickable, responsive ride. Certainly more manoeuvrable than the Fazer but what you gain in flick-ability... you lose in stability. The front paws at the air under hard acceleration and can feel remote in the wet (the first time I've had ABS kick in in any bike). That said, I changed the oe tyres on the Fazer at one point and it felt much more confidence inspiring. Of course. You can leave the TCS on, and use the mode buttons but unless it's torrential I don't bother.

So, the motor...... There was nothing wrong with the Fazer. Great linear power delivery that reacts well to being spun up and ridden hard. However, the Tracer is very, very easy to ride fast. The power is easily accessible and the motor spins-up quickly. You can leave it in third gear and it will cope with hairpins and any thing up to treble figures. However, the clutch is light and effortless and the motor has a split personality which also enjoys working the gear box and keeping things spinning.

The bike is quick, comfortable and well built. It's a lot of bike for the money but it does feel insubstantial at times. This probably because I'm still getting used to sitting upright and have never really ridden trail-style, light weight bikes. For me I'd like to be sat a little bit more over the front but that is just a personal preference.

In conclusion, I'm thrilled with the Tracer. However, at times I do miss the Fazer and on balance I'd say that these are two different bikes rather than one being better than the other.

Cheers,

Scotty aka The Fatwasp