Date: 28-03-24  Time: 11:39 am

Author Topic: How old was you when your career started?  (Read 6862 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: How old was you when your career started?
« Reply #25 on: 05 March 2015, 10:31:36 am »
If you do decide to go for the motorcycle trade, it'd be worth getting this magazine regularly:

http://www.motorcycletrader.net/aboutus.aspx

It'll tell you what's going on in the industry, articles about new products and the ins/outs/benefits/how it's made of them, job ads, all sorts, much of which you don't get in the usual off-the-shelf publications, allowing you to keep a step ahead of your customers and just generally helping you to build a knowledge base.

Anything you want to know, just PM me, I'll try to help  :thumbup

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 March 2015, 12:01:09 pm »
left school in 79/80......the Thatcher years begin and Liverpool had foc all as did I qualification wise.
drifted from shit job to shit job but wouldn't get on me bike to the South (coz Tebbit said we should) but was out everyday looking for work. had foc all money when me few mates did which was hard going, done whatever I could......both legit and cash in hand and at 35 managed to get into the fire brigade.....been in 15 years now which has been great bar all the political shit that goes with it. Probably could've done better years ago but I would never settle for 2nd best (failed the paras so told the army to shove it as the rest were all crap hats) or be told what to do by politicians.
You're never too old so go for whatever takes your fancy....YOLO

if I had my time over, and knowing what I know now through life experiences.... I'd have either tried for Civil engineering/joined another Army reg/left the country

I went to the University of Life ;)
fire never sleeps

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: 05 March 2015, 12:26:56 pm »
HR folks who pull the strings

I work for a company with global HR and that is not how we do it

I read all the CV,s ,I interview all candidates and I ultimately decide who to hire 

HR only handle terms of contract ,communications, and may sit in to give an view the of candidates general demeanour
As I have been hiring for a while I sometimes ask other function managers instead and I sit in on their hires

Its just a ride

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: 05 March 2015, 12:49:07 pm »
HR folks who pull the strings

I work for a company with global HR and that is not how we do it

I read all the CV,s ,I interview all candidates and I ultimately decide who to hire 

HR only handle terms of contract ,communications, and may sit in to give an view the of candidates general demeanour
As I have been hiring for a while I sometimes ask other function managers instead and I sit in on their hires

What about these matrix system things then Ralphie?,  i thought that they were a HR thing where they match up the job spec to the applications, surely HR do all the ground work before they pass it to you otherwise youd be sifting through endless CV's & applications.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: 05 March 2015, 01:11:23 pm »
Depends on the role and the response really

I see every CV sent including all the "on the spec ones" for anyone asking about engineering roles but I am only a small dept

for warehousing or telephone jobs HR will will apply matrix filters due to the sheer number of applicants

Its just a ride

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: 05 March 2015, 01:12:19 pm »
Anything you want to know, just PM me, I'll try to help  :thumbup
You will probably hear from me soon ! Lol

We are all crap hats Maddog ! Lol  should have gone civil engineer ... actually no .. left the country !! Haha

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 05 March 2015, 03:12:04 pm »
Sometimes when you get to do what you want to do, then you decide it is not the best thing for you!  I left the IT management consulting thing that was my target job a few years before to work in the media industry (IT but I had no previous experience of broadcasting stuff).
Being able to get home in the evening became more important to me than it was when I was younger.  Now I have kids I don't know how the wives of those that work away manage (unless they have paid help or very helpful family close by).

There are times to work your arse off, then you'll get sick of it.  You may want to travel the world, or you may want to have a home life.  You may want to earn lots on money and pay other people to do stuff, or yo might be a control freak and happier with less cash!  It's all a personal choice, and can change as you age.  We are lucky in the UK as we can change careers more easily than a lot of other countries.

Mick-H

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: 05 March 2015, 03:47:23 pm »
Strange how some post come up just when your thinking along a similar line.
I left school in 1977 and started working at Franny Lee's toilet roll factory shit job (excuse the pun) no career as such but very good money in it's day.
Then comes along the Mrs the house the kids the occasional holiday and before to long 24 years 9 month 3 week 3 days have passed and I find myself being made redundant.
I received a fantastic £4970 pay off  :rolleyes but luckily walked into a job as a Residential Child Care Worker. A drop in pay of £20000 yup dropped from £34000 to £14000. That was 13 years ago almost to the day.
I initially loved the job and wanted to make a career out of it but several years in I kinda worked out that while it paid a wage and therefore paid the bills that's about all it did, promotion chances are limited although me not being a YES man maybe hasn't helped.
I'm still there but have put in for early retirement March 2017 if I get it I'll be setting up a butty van and working for myself doing something I want to do.
So all in all nothing majorly exciting no massive career, but a nice house loving family nice bike and car's not bad for a toilet roll maker.

Sorry to go on.
One thing that has had me thinking over the past few days after the footballer dying aged 83, forget his name.
I'm currently 53 if I go at 83 my life will consist of approx. 10 years worth of sleeping 6 years worth of working and 14 years worth of living, I need to make sure that that 14 years worth of living is done to the full.

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: 05 March 2015, 07:38:31 pm »
Wanting to he home with the family is the biggest thing on my mind Alan ... I'm currently sat in a room on my tod thinking I should be home tucking the kids into bed.
Wow mick that's crazy, less than 5k payout for almost 25 years! Toilet paper maker, it's funny how when you use the stuff you never think of how it's made ...  I'd make anything for 34k ! Haha
I almost didn't ask the question yesterday but I'm glad I did. I haven't mentioned it to anyone as i wouldn't normally care for there opinion as those at work who obviously try tell you there's nothing in civi street. But to be fair I didn't join the army til I was 25 so I know there is plenty out there if you look. Plus its good to hear ideas from different people with varied backgrounds. 

acid drop

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Yamaha MT-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 05 March 2015, 07:46:46 pm »
I was 15 when I started my career and 55 when I retired with a big redundancy package and a good pension.

Oldgit

• foccerwithoutaspacebar
  • GP Hero
  • Old Age & Treachery will Overcome Youth & Skill
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - BMW R1200RS Sport SE
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 07 March 2015, 03:45:22 pm »
21 --navy then the oil industry--job done now retired

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 07 March 2015, 09:46:32 pm »
Left school, hit Uni, did my post grad and been teaching since 2001, so I was 22-23.
I'm one of the lucky ones in that I love my job and have been employed full time since Feb 2002, even when I resigned after seven years in the same school to come across here to NZ I only missed a days work before blagging my way into long term supply for six months before I flew over.

Good thing about it is that it's never the same, granted after seven years you know what lesson you'll be doing by what tuesday of september it is, but changing schools is like starting a new job again.

Also means I'm able to head to other places and still do what I love, although getting Kiwis to understand my lilting Scottish brouge has been guid for a giggle.

Folks thought I was bonkers for leaving everything and everyone I knew behind and shipping off 12000 miles, but I'm only 36 and figured that a change is as good as a rest, so why not change up everything and see how foreign climes suited.

Reckon you just need to work out what you like and what you are like, have a good rummage around and see what else out there fits.

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: 08 March 2015, 10:58:09 pm »
Left school, hit Uni, did my post grad and been teaching since 2001, so I was 22-23.
I'm one of the lucky ones in that I love my job and have been employed full time since Feb 2002, even when I resigned after seven years in the same school to come across here to NZ I only missed a days work before blagging my way into long term supply for six months before I flew over.

Good thing about it is that it's never the same, granted after seven years you know what lesson you'll be doing by what tuesday of september it is, but changing schools is like starting a new job again.

Also means I'm able to head to other places and still do what I love, although getting Kiwis to understand my lilting Scottish brouge has been guid for a giggle.

Folks thought I was bonkers for leaving everything and everyone I knew behind and shipping off 12000 miles, but I'm only 36 and figured that a change is as good as a rest, so why not change up everything and see how foreign climes suited.

Reckon you just need to work out what you like and what you are like, have a good rummage around and see what else out there fits.

Exactly. Change it up. We'll all be brown bread soon enough so don't spend your time wondering about what ifs. Give it a go and see what happens. If you're lucky you'll find something you're happy doing.