Date: 25-04-24  Time: 09:55 am

Author Topic: Downpipe choices  (Read 33630 times)

Beeblebrox2nd

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Downpipe choices
« on: 03 March 2015, 12:43:21 am »
Evening all.

Got a spot of bother regarding my downpipes.
They're original '01 pipes and I've just started to notice 2 wee pinholes in the connecting tubes between pipes1&2, and pipes 3&4 with some ticking/popping sounds coming from them. Whilst this isn't overtly annoying or 'owt, I'm reckoning on getting a replacement set soon.

Would any of you fine ladies or gentlemen be able to direct me to a place whereupon I could procure said new pipes? I've noticed a few eBay sellers offering pattern pipes for about £150-170 but not really sure about their quality.

Ta muchly, and all that malarky!

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
Re: Downpipe choices
« Reply #1 on: 03 March 2015, 12:51:55 am »
Motad and Sandybikespares both do stainless sets for our trusty steeds. ;)
The Deef's apprentice

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 03 March 2015, 07:49:58 am »
I fitted motads to mine and am very happy. Easy to fit and a lifetime guarantee! Make sure what ever u buy that the have the small Link  pipes between 1&2, 3&4. Some of the cheaper ones don't and have a bad effect on mid range power

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 03 March 2015, 08:44:10 am »
I've had a Motad set which were a good fit, but eventually the pipes fractured around the bracing welds underneath.
SandyBikeSpares were not so good, they seemed about an inch too short to comfortably mate up with the silencer. Also the exhaust clamps break rather easily.
I'll be giving Delkevic a try next.

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 03 March 2015, 02:26:26 pm »
I had a set from Sandy and one of the clamps broke.  The clamps appear to be a different grade of stainless that gives problems.  The Sandy ones don't have the balance pipes between #1 and #2 and between #3 and #4.

Got Motads on now but they now have a hole at the weld at one of the balance pipes

RMT1983

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 03 March 2015, 09:41:21 pm »
Ive got a set for sale, they were being kept for someone but they haven't got back to me and I cant sit waiting...................

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 04 March 2015, 04:07:45 pm »
I called up Motad direct a few months go and told them I'd seen a set go on Ebay for £125, they said "No Problem".  I paid on the phone and the pipes arrived 2 days later.  Awesome service!
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 March 2015, 05:26:45 pm »
I don't understand people saying their motads are failing? Mine came direct from motads with a lifetime warranty against material or workmanship for as long as I was the owner.
If your motads have failed contact them

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 March 2015, 05:52:45 pm »
Buzz, just checking, coz this seems too good to be true and I might do the same.....

On their pricelist their FZS600 fazer downpipes are £246 but one phonecall and they sold them for £125???  I may be making a call if that's the case...

RMT1983 - what state are your second hand ones in?  Are they original?  Do they have the cross pipes that people mention on this thread?

Cheers
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

SpokesT

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 05 March 2015, 06:14:14 pm »
Mine have gone too, perforated at the collector box. Discovered this today.  I suppose I can't really complain, they're the originals on my 03 bike. So we can call Motad and tell em what we want to pay rather than their list price?? How does that work? I've been quoted £120 to have the holes welded for the upcoming MoT, but if I can pay a bit more for new downpipes and collector box it would seem a waste of money to get any welding done. Anyone bought any new uns recently?
Though the way be long, let your heart beat strong, keep right on to the end!

hybrid400

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - R1 FZR400RRSP
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 05 March 2015, 06:30:42 pm »
I did the same as buzz and rang them directly and got them for about 140 quid delivered-give them a ring,its a good quality pipe.

SpokesT

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 06 March 2015, 09:27:11 pm »
I've sent em an email telling em I've been referred on here and how much etc. Fingers crossed...

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 06 March 2015, 11:16:25 pm »
Motads are definitely the way to go, especially if you can get those prices. Careful when taking the old ones off. Snapped studs etc.

fatbloke62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 07 March 2015, 07:56:27 am »
I can vouch for contacting motad direct I did when I needed downpipes on my vfr800 , as I live close I just called in spoke to the guy's ordered  and collected a few days later, good fit and a good  price and  well made

SpokesT

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 09 March 2015, 01:37:03 pm »
theyve got back to me saying they can supply their Venom downpipes for £158 including delivery. I just need to establish whether that includes all the gubbins such as new bolts and gaskets etc then I think I'll go for that. Got my MoT in six weeks or so, and this should see it sail through again, fingers crossed.

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 March 2015, 10:27:58 am »
Motad don't include the gaskets, they're about £10- £15 for a set!
Some say...

thunderpantz

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 March 2015, 12:08:44 pm »
I paid £140 for my motads with the gaskets

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 16 March 2015, 04:28:53 pm »
I don't understand people saying their motads are failing? Mine came direct from motads with a lifetime warranty against material or workmanship for as long as I was the owner.

Emailed Motad after I stumbled over the invoice at the weekend.  Quick response from them saying the downpipes/collector have a 3 year warranty.  Once I've taken failed pipes off they will arrange for courier to collect them and then send out new pipes.

Lifetime warranty possibly applies to end cans?

clayt74

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 16 March 2015, 06:11:25 pm »

Emailed Motad after I stumbled over the invoice at the weekend.  Quick response from them saying the downpipes/collector have a 3 year warranty.  Once I've taken failed pipes off they will arrange for courier to collect them and then send out new pipes.

Lifetime warranty possibly applies to end cans?
I will dig out my paperwork, cos I only purchased downpipes....... Still running stock end can.......... I have been wrong before, but not often on something in my favour

gerkin

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 17 March 2015, 07:18:18 pm »
+ 1 for the motad 140 quid inc delivery in 2010 ,so there getting cheaper!!??

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 19 March 2015, 01:14:09 pm »
I'd still call 'em up direct and put them on the spot, "saw a set on Ebay for £130" and go from there.  I got these gaskets from Ebay for £5, just make sure the flanges are clean and not caked with crud, any pressure on the gaskets with a screwdriver when trying to seat them and you'll put a big dent in them, they're only thin.
« Last Edit: 19 March 2015, 01:15:25 pm by Buzz »
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

risticuss

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 20 March 2015, 10:22:19 am »
Aside for Motad/Venom and Sandybikespares, has anyone tried Delkevic.

I bought a set for my CBR and they seemed pretty good, but the ones they stock for the Fazer come in 3 pieces, Cylinder 1&2 together, 3&4 together and the collector, with spring clips to secure the downpipes to the collector. The header sections have the balance pipes on them. They have a 1 year guarantee and cost £180 so about average really.

I emailed them to see if they sold the 3 parts separately, as that was the only reason I could think that they would split them, in case the collector rusted through it could be replaced, but they only sell them as a set.

Anyone tried these or what are your thoughts on them?

« Last Edit: 20 March 2015, 10:24:23 am by risticuss »

Skippernick

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 20 March 2015, 08:30:18 pm »
I noticed this and thought it was weird, interested to know if anyone has bought them.
Red Heads - Slowly taking over the world!!!

Jules-C

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 20 March 2015, 09:00:03 pm »
Easier to build as it doesn't have to be quite as accurate since the pipe to collector box will allow for slight misalignment?  Or easier to store and ship?

Some bikes that don't have one piece downpipes and collector box may require the exhaust to be fitted individually due to alignment of exhaust ports and frame frame tubes etc and Delkevic have got used to doing it that way?

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 22 April 2015, 07:06:05 pm »

For those that are interested in Delkevic downpipes, this is how my recent purchase worked out.
The advantage of the separate downpipes and collector design is clear, they fit in a surprisingly small box. In the absence of any included instructions I assembled them off the bike since those springs that hold the headers in the collector looked as if they'd need a lot of force. In fact, they need an amazing stretch... way beyond the elastic limit, i.e. they don't return to their original length once they've been pulled far enough to hook the parts together.

I then offered the pipes up to the bike, locating the downpipes into the cylinder head ports and loosely bolting the rear to the support under the footpeg, and found the fit was not all it could be.
For a start the headers run noticeably closer to the frame where they go past the steel coolant pipe. For most people that wouldn't be a problem, but I'd had to reposition the coolant pipe a bit forward to suit an aftermarket radiator and it was now stopping the left hand header from seating properly. After changing the spacer for the coolant pipe I was then able to get the headers to seal against the cylinder head ok.
Well... ok until I tightened up the rear bolt. The collector wanted to be lower, further forward and to the left of where it should be, with it forced into position by the bolt the strain was enough to cause the downpipes to leak at the head. Removing the rear bolt completely solved that, but I wasn't happy with the entire system supported on the header clamps and the strap hanger for the silencer... and suspected an MOT inspector wouldn't be either.

After an email exchange with Delkevic they advised that the springs are attached afterwards and the downpipes shouldn't be seated fully into the collector. So, after dismantling and assembling again, the fit is better but still not good. I've had to include a spacer of 5mm between the collector bracket and the footpeg support to reduce the sideways strain on the headers, the pipes are about 1 cm from being fully seated into the collector, the springs are about 3x their natural length… it's a bit noisy and I can't work out if it's still leaking at a joint somewhere.

Since Motad downpipes are accurately made so they bolt straight on and are less expensive, I now wish I'd gone back to them rather than experimenting.
Still, at least you don't need to make the same mistake. :lol
« Last Edit: 16 June 2018, 12:03:30 am by Fazerider »