Date: 24-04-24  Time: 23:31 pm

Author Topic: Any girls ride a Thou?  (Read 4912 times)

SteveCardiff

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Any girls ride a Thou?
« on: 28 February 2015, 05:00:24 pm »
My daughter just missed out on this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/361218663438?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT#ht_1445wt_986

Off to a few dealers tomorrow for a sniff about.  :)

How do you females get along with the FZ1? Cheers.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Any girls ride a Thou?
« Reply #1 on: 28 February 2015, 05:13:20 pm »
If i reply does that mean im a female? :look :look :look

Im waiting :lol

:lurk :lurk :lurk
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

SteveCardiff

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 February 2015, 05:42:05 pm »
Fair point  :lol

Let me rephrase the question. How do you 'all' get along with the FZ1 and is it really a better bike than a Gen 1?

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 February 2015, 06:06:29 pm »
Sorry Steve...thats been 5 minutes & so far im unscathed....only a matter of time though :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 28 February 2015, 06:09:44 pm »
is it really a better bike than a Gen 1?

Now that's a real  :lurk  question!

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 February 2015, 06:23:24 pm »
One for EXUPNUT I think     :pokefun
One, is never going to be enough.....

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 February 2015, 06:39:14 pm »
I have been out on mine today,,its a nutter,,craaaazzzyyyy  bikeeeeee !!!!

Mental comes to mind :lol :lol :lol :lol :lol
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 February 2015, 08:05:46 pm »
Noggette the nog just doesn't sound the same. .

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 01 March 2015, 07:48:14 am »
 :lol

The gen 2 is more sports than tourer

The gen 1 is more tourer than sports

Gen 2 is physically a bit smaller and more cramped for lanky long legs

Very quick & really good value for money right now

Grandma has the fz8 which is physically simillar to the thou, i think she used to own an R1....she might be able to shed some light on things.

SteveCardiff

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 01 March 2015, 03:08:42 pm »
Sat on a couple today and it's deffo gonna be an FZ1. Just holding out for one that's been sorted in regards to the can and power commander.

Thanks for the help guys :)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 01 March 2015, 04:10:18 pm »
Do you have a Gen 1 then Steve???

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 01 March 2015, 05:58:59 pm »
My wife rides a Gen 1 Thou and has loved it for about 12 years now.

She really doesn't like the FZ1 - but she hasn't ridden one. She doesn't like the handlebar set up, the way the "tank" looks tacky, the exhaust, or the slightly more leaned-forward riding position (having sat on some at dealers a number of times).

The comfortable riding position and torquey, easy to access power of the engine were what won her over originally and still keeps her in love with it.

SteveCardiff

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 01 March 2015, 09:08:10 pm »
Do you have a Gen 1 then Steve???

Got a Blackbird and a CBR1000F myself, son has a GSXR750, and daughter has an FZS600 Fazer. It's the daughter that wants to upgrade.

Seriously interested in a Gen1 but none local for us to look at. Couple of dealers down my way have FZ1's and we went to take a look today. She sat on a couple today and it's a managable bike for her at a standstill - just.

Not ruled out a Gen 1 as yet, but having done a little research it seems the seat heights are the same but the FZ is 40lbs lighter which is something to thing about. That's why I raised the question as to which is the better bike, but that's a whole can of worms I would think.

She is a bit pissed off that she missed the bike in my ebay link at the top of this thread (it does look awesome mind) as it was already well sorted.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 01 March 2015, 09:41:52 pm »
Steve there has been just as good bikes coming up on here for circa £3500 honestly if she waits a little bit they will come. I made that mistake and jumped at one with higher mileage and then sods law a few weeks later some barely run in bikes popped up for sale in better condition.

I always say my experience isnt anything to go by because my bike had been modded so much for the track by previous owner that i have really struggled to like it but i am commited to keeping it now as a project and have just thrown some mahoosive high bars as i hated the standard flat bars....i was selling it for £2500 a couple of months ago.

Imo the standard bars are ideal if you are lying on the tank racer style but i find that the bikes ergonomics dont allow for this stance to become natural so it is forced and then you sit up and the bars feel all heavy and this is why i've gone for renthals.

The throttle is a little bit jumpy on them and thats why most end up having a power commander, i still dont have one but it is on my to do list.

Other mods include taking the Cat outta the exhaust, airbox mod (cutting a larger aperture with a dremmel so that the intake matches the size of the air filter), blicking off the AIS system (plugging a pipe and a hole) which stops the loud popping from the exhaust when backing off the throttle and for me smoothed things out a bit. Ivans Fuel Cut Eliminators are popular. Although debateable as seen recently the Exup is not needed on the Gen 2 it is only there for noise regs seems to be general concensus.

Here's a recent pic of mine a work in progress with the big ass bars, a few on here think it ridiculous but seriously it is much comfier.

Also the FZ1 seats arent the comfiest, especially coming from the 600 sofa luxury, 100 miles and you need a break whereas the old gen 1 has a traditional sofa seat and guys (and girls ) can go much longer distance on them.

P.S im in Haverfordwest, if for some reason yous are in H west at any time you're welcome to have a mooch, JT's in bridgend had one not so long ago too.

« Last Edit: 01 March 2015, 09:51:04 pm by noggythenog »

SteveCardiff

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 01 March 2015, 11:10:48 pm »
Hey Noggy, thanks for the detailed reply.

Yeah, the law of sod works that way doesn't it. She is going to take her time and hopefully buy the right one. I've persuaded her to go for one with a pc already fitted and I didn't even have to mention the exhaust. In her words "It's an abomination" lol.

I'm just starting to read through this site about mods etc and the fuel cut off eliminator etc - all good stuff, and hopefully we can find one that is more or less sorted.

But, being a girl, she wants what she wants and after seeing that e-bay one she wants the same colour. It's listed as green. Can't say i've seen too many of them tbh. Tis a ovely colour scheme though set off by the gold forks and that carbon can.

I notice on yours you've dropped the yolks a few mil, have you also lowered the rear? She's looking at doing a track day or two this year and i'm concerned that if she lowers it it'll scrape everywhere. She's quite aggresive in the corners and has scraped both pegs on her Fazer 6.

The pic is of her and her Fazer leading me through the twisties in the Pyrenees last summer.

« Last Edit: 02 March 2015, 12:14:14 am by SteveCardiff »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 02 March 2015, 08:53:34 am »
Fair play Steve she knows how to ride then. I'm young'n too, well im 32 if that is young, i a,so went from the old 600 which was a nice bike...my 600 was lowered when i first got it and its pegs were destroyed with serious risk of the exhaust scraping....i jacked it right up then.

My FZ isnt lowered but it has a Nitron shock....i have bought some jack up plates from Devilsyam on here which ill be fitting soon, he describes as jack up or lowering and they are good quality so if she does get one and decides to lower then give him a shout perhaps.....i would also take off any centre stand too if lowering......but looking at it i think it's best if she didnt if shes going trackside or cornering like the 600.

I dropped the yokes by 15mm...mainly to get myself some extra clearance with those Renthals & it worked...just......i had them dropped before but i raised them back after grinding out my bellypan trying to follw my old man on his FZ6 (you crazy old fools :lol ).

It isnt a big bike and at 5 foot 11 my feet are well planted when im on it but it is still a bit of a swing over for the legs to get over the rear, I've cought my boot a few times.

It has been a big jump for me....in hindsight i wish id gone for more of a standard version because mine is so track ready that it is crap on the road and now im having to spend to get it road ready but we're all the same and i got roped in by all the bling didnt i.

I hope she gets one though, they are seiously underrated and very quick bikes, quite a few came up for sale with the arrival of the MT09 and now that the tracer is here then i foresee a splurge of them when owners change to the Tracer & Spring time will see some wallets being emptied i reckon.

SteveCardiff

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 02 March 2015, 04:41:08 pm »
MT 09 is superb so they say. Too expensive for her anyway but she sat on one on Sunday. She was tip toes on that but managable, the Tracer was a different story. She threw a leg over and didn't even try to stand it up. Feet much too far off the ground. She's only about 5'6" so that's an issue for any bike with her. Dealer did say they do a lowering kit for the Tracer but that kinda defeats the object of such a bike.

bash62

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 05 March 2015, 05:39:56 pm »
part exed my fazer thou for  a v4 tuono..had 8 cracking yrs on that bike and done 26ooo miles ..its at kickstart port talbot .well sorted bike if some one  buys it ..nitron rear shock racetec springs in front forks and ivans slip on kit..loads of extras on it ..sorted bike for some one
cheers
bash

SteveCardiff

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 05 March 2015, 08:17:40 pm »
Cheers Bash, but she's looking for a Gen 2 :)

Janet

• DAS Born Again
  • Mad woman
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
    • Torque Monsters Home Page
« Reply #19 on: 07 March 2015, 09:28:45 am »
I'm 5'6" and I owned an FZ1-N for about four and a half years, having bought it new in 2010. I've actually just traded it in against a Ducati Scrambler, which I should be able to pick up next week. I loved my FZ1 and could manage the weight and size - I took it to France on the ferry twice. I never dropped it, though I was quite cautious on gravel, etc. However, for me (I'm no youngster), ultimately I just wanted something that was more within my comfort zone. Hence the Scrambler, which has an inch lower seat height and is 77 pounds lighter than my ABS FZ1 was.