Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:16 pm

Author Topic: Dead mobile - help!  (Read 2916 times)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Dead mobile - help!
« on: 24 February 2015, 07:08:00 pm »
Hopefully you folks are more clued up than I.

Anyway - Fully charged my Samsung S2 last night.  Found it dead this morning.

Charged it but it wasn't really taking charge and was getting a bit hot and bothered.
Picked up a new battery from the local fix unlock mobile phones shop.  Well it just did the same thing to the new battery and phone is dead again.

So assuming the phone has a fault.  I can get it to run with the charger plugged in, but I don't want to risk frying the sim or memory card.  It gets really hot.

Just hoping you smart folks will be able to tell me;
Is it just a matter of buying a new Android phone and sticking my sim and memory card in and away I go again as if not a lot has happened.  Oh I am on a Sim only contract.

Really need my phone right now due to situation with elderly parents.

Thinking of getting an S4 (300quid to pick up in store) as I liked the S2.  Just want something that is nice and easy to use like the S2.  Or am I better looking at other androids, I can I do better for less?

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
Re: Dead mobile - help!
« Reply #1 on: 24 February 2015, 07:08:22 pm »
Oh, any help very much appreciated,

VNA.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 February 2015, 07:21:05 pm »
As long as any important data is backed up to the SIM or SD card you can just switch to a new phone and continue as normal. You may need to get used to menu items being in slightly different places but all the normal stuff is the same. This comes from my experience of having several Samsung Android handsets, including an S2 :)

Ensure that the new handset is either unlocked or is locked to the same network that you are on, preferably the former.

Sounds like some moisture has gotten in to the motherboard on the S2 and is causing a charging issue and this is fairly common on older handsets even if it has never been dropped in to water or used in the rain. You must have had it for 2-3 years I imagine so it's done well imo :)

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 February 2015, 07:36:32 pm »
Cheers Dead Eye.
That sounds good.
Yup about three years old and in good nick.  Never been abused.
Need a phone up and running soon, so will just buy in carphone warehouse and get them to switch the cards -check in store all my contacts are there etc.
Fingers crossed.

My Nokia 1100 is still working.  Bought that over 10 years ago.  Still use it now and again.  Don't make em like they used to!

mtread

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Triumph Speed Trip & Tiger 800
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 February 2015, 10:12:08 pm »
I've got a S2 as well, just coming up to 3 years old  :eek Before you throw it away, might be worth using the reset button at the top. Also leaving the battery completely out for several minutes before reconnecting. Sometimes phones get hot when they get 'confused'.
You can pick up a S3 mini now for about £100 if you don't want to spend as much, and it's about the same size as a S2.
You'll probably need to reinstall any extra apps you've loaded, as they will probably be on the phone's memory. You'll have to set up your googlemail id, so it restores them to your account.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 February 2015, 11:04:20 pm »
It gets so hot on the charger that it stops charging stating that the battery has over heated.

How do I dump all my contacts on to my PC?  Though also worried phone might draw too much current through the PC USB.

Think I need to do back-up to do a hard reset - ??

S4, or S3 mini or S4 mini I think.

Something about the same size as the S2 that is just as nice to use and that I can get a ballistic cover for.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 February 2015, 11:38:36 pm »
Ah well, won't charge at all now.  100% deid by the looks of it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 February 2015, 12:32:49 am »
I would borrow another charger and rule that out, they can go wrong too.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Lez72

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 25 February 2015, 02:23:37 am »
I've no idea how to fix your phone but if you like Samsungs I have a Galaxy Note 2 for sale in the for sale section. Its on Vodaphone at the minute so would need unlocking if you're not on that network.

Shamless plug  :o

Yamaha Fazer 'the only bike you'll ever need' maybe ???

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 25 February 2015, 06:48:26 am »
If we going for shameless plugs I've got an s3 in drawer I keep meaning to put on ebay. But good luck with the repair.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 25 February 2015, 08:23:03 am »
depending on who the provider is (o2 vodaphone etc)  take it into one of their shops and tell them the issues you have and can they back up all your contacts to the SIM (and anything else they can save if you have a memory card in there......you may not even know you have one!!)

at least this way when you get a new phone and put the old SIM in then you've got all your contacts

failing that, and I know you're busy with mum and dad........when you get a bit of time instead of coming on here then go on you tube/google and search for S2 battery issues.........or whatever  eg over heating phone dead............I learnt how to factory reset my S2 this way before I flogged it

good luck
fire never sleeps

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 25 February 2015, 10:16:04 am »
Cheers guys,

Don't think it's the charger.  Any charge I did get into the phone yesterday just quickly vanished.  Plus a during a short drive in the car I could feel the heat of the phone in my pocket.

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 25 February 2015, 10:32:46 am »
leave for 24 hrs to cool, go to shop with charger and get him to plug in, turn on and save all to SIM/memory card........get new phone..sorted
fire never sleeps

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2015, 01:55:07 pm »
Save contacts to your google account, save all data (pictures etc) to a removable SD card, use chrome to save your mobile bookmarks.  If your phone goes pop you can then plug the SIM and SD card into a new one, sign in with the google account and you are soon up and running again.

For an extra layer of protection for those priceless photos and videos I run a free backup app which when I plug my phone in, and when connected to the home WIFI, back the camera files up to my network storage.

I run an S2.  If it died tomorrow I'd probably get the Motorola MotoG.  My only concern is the quality of the camera.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2015, 10:14:22 pm »
It's dead as a dodo.

Got new phone.  Now I could write a few pages about buying the darn phone.  Like them not having the phone I wanted (none in stock anywhere in the company), but offering me another, going through endless options, then realising that that phone was out of stock at that particular branch.  But there's another branch across the road, they have them.

So I pop over, and guess what they have the phone that's not in stock anywhere.  Go through the deal again, go to set it up, but they can't do it, cos like a lot of folks I don't know my bank account no.  So I'm wasting a lot of time and getting pissed off, and I need a phone like now.

But then they tell me there is a pay as you go on offer on the phone I want.  It turns out to be, as far as I am concerned the best deal I've been offered.  So I got a Samsung S4 mini for 144 quid.  That includes the vodaphone sim card with the 20 quid top up that I may never use.  Popped my orange 3G sim in and away I go.

To set it all up and recover data from my old phone they wanted 15 quid, but if I sign up for 7.99 a month and I can cancel after the first payment.  Well that shit pisses me off.  So I stuck the sim card in in the shop, booted it up and off I went.

Now tearing my hair out getting it set up the way I want, but getting there.

I took out a new google account cos I can't get into my old one!  No idea why.  But yeah I ticked the back up option.  Hopefully I'll be able to get into the new account next time my phone blows up.
« Last Edit: 25 February 2015, 10:15:11 pm by VNA »

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 February 2015, 09:07:42 am »

I took out a new google account cos I can't get into my old one!  No idea why.  But yeah I ticked the back up option.  Hopefully I'll be able to get into the new account next time my phone blows up.
[/quote]

see........every silver lining has a cloud!!!
fire never sleeps

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2015, 10:20:21 am »
Samsung S2 owners

As a few of you still have an S2, like myself, there's a little trick i learned a while back when my phone memory was rapidly disappearing for some odd reason.

Check your device memory beforehand in the storage part of settings so you know where it's at to compare afterwards.

Then using your phone keypad, dial  *#9900#  then choose the 2nd option Delete dumpstate/logcat

This will delete a load of unwanted junk on your phone and free up memory space, you won't lose any personal or important stuff at all, it's just collected useless data that clogs up and slows down the phone.  ;)

Or i could've just found this beforehand and showed you instead.  :look

http://tripoverit.blogspot.co.uk/2013/09/fix-for-android-phones-running-low-on.html
« Last Edit: 26 February 2015, 03:09:36 pm by darrsi »
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.