Date: 28-03-24  Time: 20:51 pm

Author Topic: Givi boxes.. HELP!  (Read 6175 times)

skooage

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
Givi boxes.. HELP!
« on: 04 February 2012, 12:37:26 am »
I've heard Givi boxes are a handy piece of kit for touring on a bike. Ideally I'd like a big box but am still completely lost! I'm unsure what things I'll need to attach the box or what sort of box I should be looking for. Complete noob apparently. Any help and advice is much appreciated!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Givi boxes.. HELP!
« Reply #1 on: 04 February 2012, 01:57:26 am »
You say you've got the FZ6 04-06 which is the same one I have and I've got Givi kit too.

First and most important question is: do you just want a top box or will you want panniers too? The reason being that, due to the underseat pipes, you need a special rack which bolts onto the sides of the exhaust to put the panniers on and mounting that requires disassembling part of the back of the bike to get it in place. (You may also need to get some extra wiring and connectors to move the indicators!)

If it's only the top box then that's easier because it attached to the grab rails.

There's a thread on another Fazer forum with details of how to do the pannier racks. You do need to register, but you don't get spammed etc.

See here.

Tori

• Tent Pole Erector / Truck Hunter
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 February 2012, 08:17:01 am »
As above, the same bike as me. I have laser extreme exhausts and I still managed to get the givi stuff to fit. It did take a bit of modifying though (with a hammer) :lol With the standard pipes I'm sure it's easier. Good luck and post some pics up when you're done! :)

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 04 February 2012, 11:50:15 am »
My 2005 FZ6 underseat exhaust, has a pair of Scorpion cans sticking out the rear, I bought a Givi topbox mount from evilbay, the brackets go around the cans and I had to make new ones as the original ones were too small, they would have fitted round the original cans no problems though, IMHO I would fit this kit if you are fitting a 46 litre topbox as it does not put strain on the rear grabrails, if you go the Givi route there are two differant kinds of fitting (monokey or monolock) you just need to but a differant top plate to fit one or the other, I could post pictures for you if you are interested.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

babybiker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - GSX 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 04 February 2012, 12:14:46 pm »
Hi,
    have some pics of luggage system on FZ6 can email if you send me addy.
regards,ron

skooage

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 04 February 2012, 05:28:57 pm »
Thanks for all the replies guys!

You say you've got the FZ6 04-06 which is the same one I have and I've got Givi kit too.

First and most important question is: do you just want a top box or will you want panniers too? The reason being that, due to the underseat pipes, you need a special rack which bolts onto the sides of the exhaust to put the panniers on and mounting that requires disassembling part of the back of the bike to get it in place. (You may also need to get some extra wiring and connectors to move the indicators!)

I think at the moment I'm going to be going for the top box only, but we'll see how it goes, so hopefully that should be easier.

My 2005 FZ6 underseat exhaust, has a pair of Scorpion cans sticking out the rear, I bought a Givi topbox mount from evilbay, the brackets go around the cans and I had to make new ones as the original ones were too small, they would have fitted round the original cans no problems though, IMHO I would fit this kit if you are fitting a 46 litre topbox as it does not put strain on the rear grabrails, if you go the Givi route there are two differant kinds of fitting (monokey or monolock) you just need to but a differant top plate to fit one or the other, I could post pictures for you if you are interested.

I am looking at the 46ltr, so maybe that option would be better. Pictures would be great if you could! Haven't a clue on how these things attach or whatever. What's the difference between the Monokey and the Monolock box? is there a significant advantage?

Hi,
    have some pics of luggage system on FZ6 can email if you send me addy.
regards,ron

Would love some pictures if you could put them up. my email is skooage@gmail.com.

thanks foccers!

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #6 on: 04 February 2012, 07:13:14 pm »
First and most important question is: do you just want a top box or will you want panniers too?

I think at the moment I'm going to be going for the top box only, but we'll see how it goes, so hopefully that should be easier.

That was the mistake I originally made! The Yamaha OEM top box rack (that just fits onto the grab rails) isn't compatible with the mountings for the Givi panniers. Fortunately I managed to sell the rack and box at only a small loss, but if I'd known that from the start I'd have gone with the full Givi setup.

What's the difference between the Monokey and the Monolock box?

It's confusing, isn't it? And the explanations on the web don't always help!

Basically, though, the MonoKey system uses the same key to unlock the case *and* remove the case from the mount, and they're the larger and more heavy duty ones, whereas MonoLock are lighter weight and better for scooters etc.

I use MonoKey Top Box and Panniers.

squiz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 04 February 2012, 07:38:30 pm »
there are of course cheaper options, i have a givi rack for my 99 fzs which i got for a snip at 10 quid from a mate at work,  shopped around for boxes for it and well my budget was tight so original givi was out of range for me, managed find a mono key box that fits straight onto the rack with no problems,its secure and cant be taken off without the key.

so the options are there,unless money is no object then givi all the way but .....still a shopping trip on the inter web works well for us less financially endowed lol

skooage

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2012, 07:48:00 pm »
there are of course cheaper options, i have a givi rack for my 99 fzs which i got for a snip at 10 quid from a mate at work,  shopped around for boxes for it and well my budget was tight so original givi was out of range for me, managed find a mono key box that fits straight onto the rack with no problems,its secure and cant be taken off without the key.

so the options are there,unless money is no object then givi all the way but .....still a shopping trip on the inter web works well for us less financially endowed lol

Hadn't even considered other makes if I'm honest. Think it would probably be a good idea. They all sit on the same racks? what sort of rack would I be looking for?

squiz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 04 February 2012, 08:26:29 pm »
the plates may be swapable but most fittings are bike specific i think.....i have this one  http://www.wemoto.com/bikes/Yamaha/FZS_600_Fazer/98-99/picture/GIVI_Luggage_-_Monorack_Kit_with_Monokey_Plate/

if i can find it il try find where i got my box from its a good size...cant remember what litre...but it does the job , maybe post a pic if ya need it