Date: 23-04-24  Time: 22:52 pm

Author Topic: engine mounting bolts  (Read 3037 times)

72 chamb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
engine mounting bolts
« on: 17 February 2015, 05:30:49 pm »
I'm fitting a new belly pan to 2000 plate 600.. i need to use the engine mounting bolt but when i bought the bike it had crash bungs on it. I have took these off but do not know what size bolts to replace them as the crash bungs needed longer ones..
any tell me size and length needed..

Thanks

Ruby Racing

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Kawasaki ZRX1200R
    • View Profile
Re: engine mounting bolts
« Reply #1 on: 17 February 2015, 06:44:27 pm »
An engine mount bolt is pretty important part. If it was me I'd order OE replacements to be on the safe side.
Feel the Fear and do it anyway!

Read about my Project Ruby Racer - FZS 600 Custom build Click this link > > > http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,10613.0.html

Paulfzs

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - vtr 1000
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 February 2015, 08:52:40 pm »
An engine mount bolt is pretty important part. If it was me I'd order OE replacements to be on the safe side.

ive only got the bottom front on mine not the top, cant get all 3 bolt holes to line up.

seems pretty strong not shifted even putting the bike on the rear wheel and hard ish landings.

72 chamb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 17 February 2015, 09:07:35 pm »
Do you know what length they are as the ones for the cras bungs are far to long.

emjaydee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Aprilia RSV
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 February 2015, 12:03:28 pm »
I have just recently had to do the same thing, I bought M10 x 100mm bolts and M8 x 100mm, stainless steel from ebay, had to buy 4 so I've got 2 spare of each if anyone wishes to purchase them for a small fee.

Looks the part..

« Last Edit: 18 February 2015, 05:41:01 pm by emjaydee »

emjaydee

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Aprilia RSV
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 February 2015, 05:38:53 pm »
The M10 bolts are to replace the bolts where the crash bungs were and the M8 are to replace the bolts below the bungs.

72 chamb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 18 February 2015, 06:14:30 pm »
Thats brilliant....thankyou

Jamieg285

• Club Racer
  • What does this do?
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 18 June 2015, 01:26:01 pm »
Did you have any issues fitting the M10s?

I an in the same position, needing new bolts to replace the longer crash bung bolts.  I borrowed the OEM bolt from my old bike and went to the local bolt shop, who told me it was M9, and would have to be replaced with OEM.

I didn't think M10 would go, but will be happy to be proved wrong and save £10 on a pair of bolts.

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 18 June 2015, 05:20:19 pm »
been in simlar position buying bolts recently......one thing i learned, be aware not all bolts are made equal, they all have different properties and will have been chosen for their purpose when the bike was put together, i have in the past purchased bolts that were not OEM but i made sure they were the same material and grade i.e. 8.8, 12.9 A2, etc....there are international standards the allow you to usually detemrine the type and grade of a threaded fastner....

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/Ref_Strength_Spec.html

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Materials-and-Grades/Materials.aspx

When it comes to parts like engine mount bolts and suspension linkages i would be tending to side with OEM, i don't know enought about the material physics and properties to make the correct informed decisions....but thats just me - i am a little OTT sometimes!

anutz

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS 600, GSXR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 18 June 2015, 05:22:30 pm »

ive only got the bottom front on mine not the top, cant get all 3 bolt holes to line up.

seems pretty strong not shifted even putting the bike on the rear wheel and hard ish landings.

paulfzs.....landings.......wtf do you do with your bike  :lol

72 chamb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 June 2015, 10:32:39 pm »
Yes fitted them and had no problem...i took the old ones from the crash bungs to a pllace near to me.they couldn't give me the same thread but i havent  had any issues. ...

Val

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Foccer-Wulf
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 21 June 2015, 02:33:56 pm »
been in simlar position buying bolts recently......one thing i learned, be aware not all bolts are made equal, they all have different properties and will have been chosen for their purpose when the bike was put together, i have in the past purchased bolts that were not OEM but i made sure they were the same material and grade i.e. 8.8, 12.9 A2, etc....there are international standards the allow you to usually detemrine the type and grade of a threaded fastner....

http://www.westfieldfasteners.co.uk/Ref_Strength_Spec.html

https://www.boltdepot.com/fastener-information/Materials-and-Grades/Materials.aspx

When it comes to parts like engine mount bolts and suspension linkages i would be tending to side with OEM, i don't know enought about the material physics and properties to make the correct informed decisions....but thats just me - i am a little OTT sometimes!

Hi anutz, sorry to hijack the tread, I have a lot of rusty bolts and want to replace them, any chance you can post the sizes and threads and grades for the ones you have bought? And from where?
« Last Edit: 21 June 2015, 02:34:39 pm by Val »
Adrian Monk: Unless I'm wrong, which, you know, I'm not.