Date: 19-03-24  Time: 09:18 am

Author Topic: please help, fazer newbie here :(  (Read 8884 times)

fzsdaz

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
please help, fazer newbie here :(
« on: 11 February 2015, 02:01:16 am »
Got a 00 fzs600,all good but upon viewing,rear brake was stiff from sitti up,it hadnt much bite in it and to get some pressure we pumpd the pedal.  BUT TODAY on my careful journey to the garage,i was braking with rear and gearing down..approx 20mph,slowin,then out goes the rear,it fishtaild a few feet before i held on in panick and down she went,any advice or reason? It was very unexpected,i dont understand,perfect rear tyre

Nebuchernezzer

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Ktm250exc
    • View Profile
Re: please help, fazer newbie here :(
« Reply #1 on: 11 February 2015, 06:05:11 am »
Well from that minimal information it sounds like your rear brake could have had a bit of a seizure.  And i don't think it matters who good a tyre you have out back when that happens!
Unless something else drastic happened at that point, like your gearbox seized up or something else fun but i assume you'd know if that happened.
More info?
Does your rear wheel still turn?
It's almost certainly from you locking up the rear for some reason or another.

Numast

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: please help, fazer newbie here :(
« Reply #2 on: 03 May 2015, 03:40:38 pm »
Dude.  What may have happened here is that the pads didn't back off the disk when you lifted your foot off the brake.  The oil then heats up and expands forcing the pads on even harder until you ride over a lose surface and the wheel locks up. 

You have probably had the caliper sorted by now, but just a word of warning.  If you removed the caliper bolts it is vital that they are replaced using "Thread Lock"  (it's that blue gum you find on the treads of critical bolts when you remove them for the first time). It is common for the caliper bolts to vibrate loose and fall out. The caliper then bounces on the road until it jams between the swing arm and the rear wheel, then you will need new jeans!