Date: 25-04-24  Time: 02:09 am

Author Topic: Biker undertaking.  (Read 6390 times)

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
Biker undertaking.
« on: 10 February 2015, 10:16:02 pm »

I have watched this and the biker is wrong, I hope that this is a drive to sort out undertakers in cars as well also people who hog the wrong lane. Also drivers using mobile phone ect whilst driving. I will not be holding my breath.

http://www.visordown.com/motorcycle-news-videos/biker-given-eight-penalty-points-and-fined-885-for-undertaking-car/26252.html

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Biker undertaking.
« Reply #1 on: 10 February 2015, 10:24:34 pm »
Looking at it and reading the whole article, it wasn't just the undertake (which caused the driver in the middle lane to hit his brakes), but also him doing 95mph and then cutting across the traffic as well that got him the penalty, not simply "this move" as the text on the video implies.

There again, I'd like to know what penalty the guy hogging the outside lane was given...

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 10 February 2015, 10:41:16 pm »
The worst part was cutting across a lorry and entering blind (because of the just cut across lorry) a slip road to the garage.
Also the text said he was doing 95 - no he wasnt - it was the police car doing 95 momentary to catch him up. Yeh he is wrong on all counts - just sayin
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 February 2015, 12:28:31 am »
Its severe because he didn't take FPN there and then ,let it go to court then never turned up ..........Magistrates don't like that  :rolleyes
Its just a ride

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 February 2015, 12:31:49 am »
Lets be honest. no car driver/biker/lorry driver etc is perfect. Being a delivery driver i see drivers in the outside lane for no apparent reason daily. No driver can say they have never done something like this.
The most "dodgy" maneuver  I can see is his pulling into the bp station, not his best move im sure. However if the police had not been there it would not have happened.
In regards to speed, who can honestly say they stick to 70 on main roads 100% of the time?
Dangerous? yes!
Does he deserve that punishment? I personally don't think so.
Just my 2 pence :D
« Last Edit: 11 February 2015, 12:32:57 am by youngsterbiker »

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 11 February 2015, 08:21:22 am »
Stupid yes, careless yes. £885 and 8 points no.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 11 February 2015, 09:03:08 am »

Looking at it and reading the whole article, it wasn't just the undertake (which caused the driver in the middle lane to hit his brakes), but also him doing 95mph and then cutting across the traffic as well that got him the penalty,

Yep, the title is misleading.

Undertaking itself is not an offence (was removed from the traffic act a long time ago), but it's frowned upon so if you do do it, it needs to be in a safe manner to avoid this sort of thing.

If he'd of pulled into middle lane and crept ahead a few mph faster and then indicated safely etc etc then I doubt plod would have done anything, or at worst just given him a ticking off.

Doing it at 95mph and riding erratically through the lanes is what caused the careless driving offence.

Generally the police are ok with a little 'playful' riding if it's done sensibly, but get them on a bad day or be a dick about it and you can't really blame them.

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 February 2015, 09:22:31 am »

If he'd of pulled into middle lane and crept ahead a few mph faster and then indicated safely etc etc then I doubt plod would have done anything, or at worst just given him a ticking off.

Doing it at 95mph and riding erratically through the lanes is what caused the careless driving offence.

I agree completely with the 1st bit ..

Although if you watch the video again I would say the biker did little more than 70mph ... The police officer sped upto 95mph  straight away to catch the biker, when they got past the car that was undertaken and was approaching the bike the police car rammed it's brakes on slowing back to 70mph ..
But then again the quick switch through 2 busy lanes was definitely not a good move either !! Lol

I travel up and down the country each week and the amount of people that hog the 3rd lane bimbling along at 65mph angers me very much !!!!! Lol

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 February 2015, 10:38:18 am »
Although if you watch the video again I would say the biker did little more than 70mph ... The police officer sped upto 95mph  straight away to catch the biker, when they got past the car that was undertaken and was approaching the bike the police car rammed it's brakes on slowing back to 70mph ..
Exactly - that is what I said.
Stupid move yes, but it is a downright lie to say he was doing 95mph just look at the police car speed and the footage

No driver can say they have never done something like this.
I can and I never have.

Being a delivery driver i see drivers in the outside lane for no apparent reason

While we are on the subject what about lorries overtaking each other at +1/4 mph for 3 miles blocking two lanes

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 11 February 2015, 11:02:13 am »
Must admit I couldn't see the video on my phone so just going off comments.

I undertake all the time if I'm honest, on the M25 there's no end of muppets who almost form a queue behind some idiot, while there's a massive gap in lanes 1 and 2 (and even 3 now some sections are 4 lane).

I've travelled up lane 1 undertaking a line of cars in lane 4 with nothing else between us.
I can't see how that could be deemed careless, but must admit wouldn't practice it while a copper was about, but then I'd hope he'd be pulling over the cars for not using the left most lane.

Slaninar

• GP Hero
  • Lookin' like a streak of lightnin'
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • BikeGremlin
« Reply #10 on: 11 February 2015, 11:12:52 am »
The guy in the middle lane hit his brakes about 2 seconds later, when the bike was gone. No big deal IMO. Unfair fine. I'd just fine him for not signaling when changing lanes.
Most things done in a hurry need to be done again - patiently.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 February 2015, 11:16:35 am »
He should be fined for bad observation (that being not seeing a copper behind him)

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 February 2015, 11:49:26 am »
I've completed these manoeuvres as has most on here so I'm not getting on my high horse especially with some knob hogging the lane and not moving over when there's ample opportunity can't believe some of the comments on visor down and on here

a lot of riding/driving is inconvenient to us but not illegal (wagons overtaking forever in L1 & L2)

irrespective of what we see on a daily basis, we can't break the law to suit ourselves.......you cannot even break the speed limit to allow a copper ambo or firey to pass
I don't agree in this instance that the car was hogging lane 3, look again and there's a string of traffic in lane 2 and he then has a bike up his arse so he can't slow down either to let the bike past

I don't think he done 95 but he deffo was an arse when pulling across the lorry into the petrol stn and that was worthy of an offence on its own.....you pull over when safe to do so in a safe place........no matter how long it takes

right to be pulled?
yes, but a chat could've sorted it.....we don't know if the cops where "keen" or the rider were "arsey" to them so the fine etc is academic for us

if it were an unmarked car then he was unlucky in the fact that he got caught when on another day he'd have got away with it. If it were a marked car then he's a knob for lack of observation
fire never sleeps

bigralphie

Scenic Pisser
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 February 2015, 12:43:42 pm »
O’Grady refused to accept the fine and penalty points given to him by police and was summonsed to court

So yes he was arsey, we all know undertaking over the speed limit is a no no

If you play the game you have to accept the rules  :evil

Its just a ride

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 February 2015, 03:10:53 pm »
was playing devils advocate there Big man, wasn't clear to me if he refused roadside or to the courts letter (Nip)
but either way you're right
fire never sleeps

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 February 2015, 04:13:18 pm »
He was too close before undertaking.
He also did it where the road split from 3 lanes went into 2 at a junction as well. That car in the outside lane could have done a late manoeuvre himself.

As he passed underneath the 1st overhead sign gantry you can here the police tripping the Vascar. Then later I guess they stopped it at the next gantry where the policeman says 'lets go', so they knew what speed he was doing.

A stupid move to dive in front of the lorry to the petrol station and even more stupid to go to court about it.

So a fine £600 for speeding and careless riding, £200 costs and £60 victim surcharge seems fair enough.

Was the car in front hogging the outside lane or following at a safe distance from the vehicle in front of them?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #16 on: 11 February 2015, 04:41:37 pm »
Watch the video again.

He was under 70mph before he passed the car on the nearside. He may have crept over 70 but not much more than 75mph. Plod accelerated hard to catch up because he thought the bike may go for it when given space.
When the bike went to pull in front of the truck, the truck was aware he was going there and slowed a little to allow it. You can see the biker wave his thanks.
When he then went from in front of the truck to the petrol station you can see the bike remain in the middle lane for a second to check it was clear.

Nothing he did was really dangerous or stupid apart from declining the FPN for an unknown offence. HE certainly wasn't speeding to the point a ticket was required and wasn't careless if you watch the video again.

Just the courts with a dim view of bikes and a plod who woke up in the wrong bed.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 11 February 2015, 06:30:05 pm »
I'm of the opinion the safest and quickest lane to be in these days is the inside lane. Mostly because  drivers appear to have a phobia to using it and also drivers of all vehicles seem to take more care when switching to the left lane than the right. Also hard shoulder is a good clear escape
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 11 February 2015, 06:47:18 pm »
and a plod who woke up in the wrong bed.
Yep- done that before

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 11 February 2015, 06:52:44 pm »
There's loads of accidents on that stretch of the A14 (& loads of speed cams also).Spotted this in the local paper this evening,Longstanton is just up the road from where that biker was stopped...

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Motorcycle-recorded-doing-117mph-30mph-road/story-26003142-detail/story.html

HJFazer

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 11 February 2015, 07:23:26 pm »
I don't think it's that bad... Well, other than not seeing the police car. I mean, you don't know how long he's been sat behind the car, it might have been refusing to let him passed for ages... That said I wouldn't do it very often.

The pulling over to the petrol station is too close though.

Phil

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Fazer8
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 11 February 2015, 07:43:11 pm »
Watch the video again.

He was under 70mph before he passed the car on the nearside. He may have crept over 70 but not much more than 75mph. Plod accelerated hard to catch up because he thought the bike may go for it when given space.

I think it was at least 84.6mph from looking at the Vascar screen details.

It was approx 13:34:37 at the start when he passed the gantry and 13:34:55 at the end but that was after the bike had already gone under the next gantry when the video coverage resumes. The distance between the 2 gantries was 0.423 miles (121.619 miles to 122.042 miles) if you look at when the police car passed the 2. So under 18 seconds so at least 84 mph.

Have I got that right?

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 February 2015, 01:55:50 pm »
this victim surcharge bollox gets me........just another way of screwing us over......a fine on top of a fine.....bastards
fire never sleeps

bigralphie

Scenic Pisser
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 February 2015, 02:53:33 pm »
the coppers had just bought Gran Lattes and doughnuts which went cold .......someone gotta pay  :D
Its just a ride

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 February 2015, 10:53:30 pm »
Come on, that's I usually do most of my 70 km commute on .5 lane (lane between two lanes). This judgement seems way too harsh for normal driving standards that I have seen in UK and Ireland - it's perhaps okay in an ideal world where no one commits any crimes and no one lane hogs etc.

Poor biker, no wonder he didn't want to accept the points. Not appearing at the court wasn't very clever though.