Date: 28-03-24  Time: 12:29 pm

Author Topic: Another new bike thread ... kinda...  (Read 1639 times)

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
Another new bike thread ... kinda...
« on: 06 February 2015, 12:01:51 pm »
ok so all this talk of new bikes has me thinking that maybe I would like to change my bike, at the moment its just a thought & nothing concrete yet but if I were to swap my bike I like the idea of a triumph sprint st 1050. No logical reason other than I use my bike mainly for commuting 60 odd miles a day plus ride home to Falmouth at weekends mainly dry weather riding plus I got a couple of Rallies this year. I've not test riden one yet and as I say everything is just thinking bout it...

my question's are these,
a) where is the best place to sell my Foxeye 600 (02 plate) bout 17k miles for my best advantage. I know trade in against a dealer bike I would loose out and would be a last resort.
so ebay or auto trader or on here?

b) MOT due in June so I would have it MOT'd prior to selling it but what about tyre state, as mine are just starting to square off a little and if I were keeping it i would change them May time but if i don't how much would buyers expect to knock off etc.
c) Whats it really worth? 
this bike is all box standard with the exception of crash bars added by original owner (I'm 3rd) & I would say for its age is in good nick. not pristine as it has some very light scrathes on tank where tank bag been on & off ( will post some pictures of it when i take it out of its cover next week if that helps)
I know this may seem basic but other bikes I have sold in past were sub £300 mark & sold to mates as rag bikes & my F650 was part ex'd against a car!!
and no having 2nd bike is not an option.

Any advice from the wealth of knowledge on here much appreciated.
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
Re: Another new bike thread ... kinda...
« Reply #1 on: 06 February 2015, 01:04:20 pm »
Your best bet is to do a bit of research via eBay/bike trader/mcn etc, and see what they're going for at the time. It changes slightly with the seasons.

As for tyres, well look at it this way, a set of tyres are £200 ish, and the buyer might like a certain brand that you don't have on the bike, so you can actually use it as a selling point if you play it right. Just got to adjust your price accordingly.

And good luck with it. I'm considering an st1050 myself for commuting (amongst others). That engine is a minter, and they look awesome. Headlights are absolutely rubbish though, but you have a boxeye, so should be used to that. :D
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

fazed

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 06 February 2015, 04:00:54 pm »
I had an st1050 and the gt version too.  both have terrific engines with silky torque right the way through the range the only niggle I had was that your legs could get hot in warm weathe due to underseat  exhaust otherwise as good an allrounder as the fazer1000 but even better handling.
This is as young as you're ever going to be!

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 06 February 2015, 04:12:22 pm »
It is worth what someone else will pay for it.

If you are buying from a dealer (new or second hand) then it is the price to change that is important, the dealer might offer you more than you think.

The last two bikes I have PXed, the dealer offered me £200 less than the average they were being advertised in MCN (not what people got for them). So no fees for advertising, no tyre kickers, no knob heads offering stupid money and most importantly no one casing up my bike/car/house to steal stuff later.

Sort out replacement bike, ride to dealer on old one and home on new one, job done without stress  :D

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 06 February 2015, 06:08:33 pm »

In the interest of just giving you an opinion ballpark figure of worth then i'd personally say actually getting £1200......so selling for £1400 for the sake of the haggling bastardos (why no just have a price & pay?).

I just see the old fazer suffering at the mo like many other bikes because of all the new merchandise on the market.

If it was absolutely minted then id say youd get the £1400 but on your own admission it has a few age related marks.

As for where to sell then ive gotta say when im quiet at work and mooching about online (as all blokes do) i always google "suchnsuch bike for sale UK" & Bike trader never comes up, but MCN does, plus gumtree but gumtree comes across a bit pikeyish & so MCN i'd say is a good bet.......im talking casual browsing though........if its someone on a mission to buy a specific bike then without a doubt Bike trader is best.......here is ok for a minter but lets face it we all have fazers so why do we wanna buy another one.

All above completely IMO of course.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 06 February 2015, 07:30:21 pm »
I would go to the stealers and try get a price for your bike, you might be surprised what they offer, when I traded my fz6 for my Sprint ST I was offered £100 less than I valued my bike, I reckoned that was a win for me as it meant I was not going to get hassle from a punter moaning about this or that not being right on the bike.

The 2008 on Sprints had an updated fairing fitted which helped with the overheating of your leg syndrome.
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #6 on: 10 February 2015, 10:16:45 am »
thanks for the advice folks,
I was looking at Pidcocks triumph website yesterday & they had an on-line px section so filled in my details, they rang me back and took some more details over the phone. I told them about condition, was totally honest and then they asked me what I wanted for it (against new) then they rang me back & offered £100 less than I had asked for against the listRRP, which is bloody good!!

just got to decide do I really need to swap or not!!

might try with a more local dealer. (only went with Pidcocks was because I'd dealt with them when I had my Beemer!) so will try swindon & exeter or plymouth see what then can do for me lol

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #7 on: 16 February 2015, 09:22:44 am »
update.. Thursday went out on a test ride on Sprint GT in Guilford.
ok so riding position wasn't 100% comfy at first, bit more forward sports bike against the fazer but it is lot bigger bike.
having never riden anything this big or expensive was nervous at 1st but soon got used to it.
the thing is after the 45 minute ride i wasn't grinning from ear to ear and whilst I like the idea of a bigger bike & the deals that were put on the table I wasn't snapping his hand off.
at weekend had chat with Mrs R & have decided to wait a year. for a few economic reasons and the fact that my bike, unless something major happens to it isn't going to depreciate in value by too much.
Just got to get the Topbox I bought last year fitted & I reckon I'll be set for another 12 months of fun on my fazer600 :)