Date: 27-04-24  Time: 00:17 am

Author Topic: Sprucing up the old FZ1  (Read 30482 times)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Sprucing up the old FZ1
« on: 29 January 2015, 08:54:27 am »

I'm looking at adjusting my rear sets on the FZ1 (gilles) because my quad cramps up badly after about 150 miles.

At present id say they are more or less in line with my hips but i got thinking about whether it would be less taxing on the legs to actually have them adjusted all the way to the rear of the bike.

It's  tricky with the FZ1 coz its a semi upright.....if it was a supermoto id say in line with hips would be good.....if it was a sports bike  i'd say as far rearwards as possible for the lie down position.....but the thou is somewhere between.

Has anyone tried it, what were the results?

The bike is currently sorn so i cant do trial and error yet
« Last Edit: 31 January 2015, 07:04:40 am by noggythenog »
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Rear set, set-up.
« Reply #1 on: 29 January 2015, 02:30:14 pm »

I've had a sit on the bike & there isnt much scope for adjusting the pegs further down towards the ground but i can go back a little bit.

I actually noticed that when sat on the bike my Knees & thighs arent exactly resting up to the lip of the tank, you know the bit i mean on the tank.....the huggy but that you grip onto......my knees and thighs are actually a couple inches down from the lip and resting on a bulbous bit of the tank.............so im actually curious now as to whether i should adjust the rear sets backwards and upwards to try get my legs up and nestled against this lip and be a bit more one with the bike.

I sat on a new R1 once which i thought would be totally uncomfortable but to my surprise because i was so tipped forward the rear sets on it seemed to make sense......like i say the Fz1 is difficult because of its sporty but semi upright position.

Any thoughts on this?

HarryHornby

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 January 2015, 02:40:21 pm »
Oh, FFS, how many years have you been on this forum? You know the rules, shouldn't this be posted in the FZ1 section???  :b :pokefun
Money doesn't buy happiness, but it buys beer, and that helps!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2015, 02:45:16 pm »
Oh, FFS, how many years have you been on this forum? You know the rules, shouldn't this be posted in the FZ1 section???  :b :pokefun

Ha ha

It probably should have in hindsight........but it's more about rear sets in general and upright bikes so im gonna blag it :rolleyes

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2015, 03:14:27 pm »
I've got Gillies rearsets on my gen 1 Noggy.
I have adjusted them to the rear as far as I can without removing the centre stand.
As it is I have had to extend the stop on the stand to prevent it hitting the rearsets.
I seem to recall you may not have a centre stand so this won't be a problem for you.
This set-up works for me and feels comfortable as I always felt my feet were too far forward with the original pegs.
The extra ground clearance was another reason I went for the rearsets as well as comfort.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2015, 06:57:44 pm »
I've got Gillies rearsets on my gen 1 Noggy.
I have adjusted them to the rear as far as I can without removing the centre stand.
As it is I have had to extend the stop on the stand to prevent it hitting the rearsets.
I seem to recall you may not have a centre stand so this won't be a problem for you.
This set-up works for me and feels comfortable as I always felt my feet were too far forward with the original pegs.
The extra ground clearance was another reason I went for the rearsets as well as comfort.

Cheers Dazza that's a little inspiring anyway coz i thought i might be off on yet another tangent.....appreciate i bore the shit outta some folk here but i cant say ive read a rear sets thread in the last few years so tough shit to them go back to the which screen threads :evil

Anyway......just trying a last ditch effort while i have the inspiration to make me keep the thou....i want to say ive tried.

It's almost counterintuitive for me to go from wanting more leg room to then thinking of moving the rear sets upwards & backwards but im just thinking that maybe having the pegs too far forward "could" be causing the cramps by making me a bit skee whif & awkward & probably stopping me from getting enough weight forward onto the bars.

dazza

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 January 2015, 07:11:28 pm »
 :z :z :z :z :z :z :z :lol

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 January 2015, 07:38:46 pm »
Shhhhusshhh

i am now in the hottub with red wine, radio on,oldies,,and i gotta read this  :eek

that didn.t read correct :lol (oops)

rear13
rear13

with original footrests

giles1
giles1
With thr Giles rearsets,

i have not looked at what adjustment there is but they are a couple of inches rearward of standard and are fine for me,,5,6" normal gent :lol

i have now opened the windows as i am boiling, the snow is blowing in and is refreshing ,more wine vicar

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 January 2015, 07:50:03 pm »
Hey Slim...what wine you on?

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 January 2015, 07:56:23 pm »
Red CRISTOBEL 1492, not that good,piss really,screw top bottle, 2013 vintage,

oh dear the wife has left me :) :eek :lol

oh ,the three foster kids upstaires :'( :'( :'( :'(

she has gone to stay with her mother whom is a bit poorly, i am staying in the tub though,well untill i get wrinkly skin like my ball bag , all over :lol

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 January 2015, 08:54:22 pm »

Im on the whisky.......but i dont like whisky......so ive watered it down with some crabbies ginger wine 8)

Seriously though........i hope those rats & Bees have pissed in your hot tub :lol

Tricky to see with your rear sets coz theyre black.

I do like that vfr rear hump.

Ill try get some sunny weather and put a pic up of mine as they are.

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 January 2015, 09:32:01 pm »
So we could be waiting a while then

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 29 January 2015, 09:35:13 pm »
So we could be waiting a while then

All i ask is just a wind free day with no rain, overcast will do, ice even i dont mind

Yep.....could be ages  :(

By the way slim.....get those pillion pegs off.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 29 January 2015, 09:40:39 pm »

Side on piccy.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 29 January 2015, 11:36:27 pm »
Noggy - just giv eit a go. Doesn't take long to adjust them, so even if you don't like where they are you can play around with them.

Word of warning - be careful taking the bolts out - Gilles bolts are made of what I can only assume is some kind of cream cheese

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 30 January 2015, 06:34:54 am »
Yes "cream cheese stainless" bolts, i changed each of mine as i removed them,the allen key heads will round off.

Your pegs look more rearward than mine already.

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 January 2015, 07:17:51 am »
Change them bars to 754 or 755 much more comfy
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 30 January 2015, 10:49:37 am »
Change them bars to 754 or 755 much more comfy

Good shout Devilsyam

The 755's look good.

I did fancy the 758's but on the fz they're maybe not sporty enough but the 755's on the red bike pic are nice.

Out of interest have you still got the lowering linkage for sale, i sem to remember they could raise the arse end too....if i could get a decent rise it could be another option for me. Lust racing do one but it's £60 for 2 poxy metal plates.

Think ill ask the kind admins if i can move the thread now, im a scourge. :rolleyes
« Last Edit: 30 January 2015, 02:09:35 pm by noggythenog »

slimwilly

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
Re: Sprucing up the old FZ1
« Reply #18 on: 31 January 2015, 07:13:45 am »
Noggy , your seat look suspiciously like an after market one, i will buy it if you change it. It looks about 20mm taller than standard

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 January 2015, 07:35:52 am »

Have decided to change the title & turn the thread into the keeping of my FZ.

Decided to bite the bullet and make it more the bike for me.....despite lengthy looks at lots of other bikes im still of the opinion that the pure rush from the FZ engine is tough to beat and also that no bike is perfect.....tracer or MT09 are the best looking alternatives.....but i cant afford them.....so i need to wait a few years for one.

I still have a powerful bike that looks the part but theres quite a few jobs to get it up to scratch. A few bits are more tatty than i prefer,  It's a commitment because it'll require quite an outlay so suffice to say the bike wont be up for sale for £2500 any more if i do it all.

Instead of scrimping and saving using up every last penny to try get a new bike i can now afford to do the things my thou needs while still being able to afford to live.

Ill be generous and allow myself £1000 spend and i should have a top notch bike for that spend. 8)
« Last Edit: 31 January 2015, 07:40:00 am by noggythenog »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 January 2015, 07:38:42 am »
Noggy , your seat look suspiciously like an after market one, i will buy it if you change it. It looks about 20mm taller than standard

It's supposedly a gel seat slim but is still very hard, i think its filling has seen better days, i hadnt realised it may be taller than standard but taller is where i wanna be. Gonna get an airhawk cushion and take all things seating from there.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: 31 January 2015, 08:29:07 am »
TO DO LIST:-

FRONT FORKS:-currently far too stiff with a couple of inches unuseable travel on max adjustment despite my weight. Sketchy info from previous owner indicates they "might" have Ohlins springs in them - my plan is to firstly get the fork oil only changed. I'm educated guessing that anyone doing a spring upgrade would most likely also upgrade to thicker fork oil so perhaps changing back to normal grade will do the trick. If it fails then all ive lost is the cost of oil and ill then look at different springs.

FRONT FAIRING:-small crack under the indiator running underneath, not easily visible but ill eventually get it plastic welded, the lawnmower also atacked it and as a result i lost half of one of the FZ1 decals so ill take both decals off and see how it looks and perhaps replace with decals of my choosing....im quite fancying a couple japanese rising sun decals as i think they'll really snap against the red background.

HANDLEBARS:-replace them with some Gold Renthals, either 755's or 758's, the 755's look closest to original and are probably the safer bet but i like the thought of the ultra low 758's as i havent seen them on a FZ1 and the long width of them will look pretty wicked i think.Gold Renthal bar end plugs.

HANDLEBAR CLAMP/RISERS:-replace with a black one & source some Gold clamp bolts, the silver is out of place on the bike which is mostly black and gold and red.

TOP YOKE:-source a half decent yoke cover in carbon or black, the silver is out of place and is impregnated with grime that i cant seem to clean off.

OXFORD HEATED GRIPS:-have them removed as im mainly fair weather and ive heard stories about them causing niggly electrical issues, worth it for commuters but for the use i give them not worth the hassle, replace the grips with something nice....not sure what yet?

IGNITION:-sort out the intermittent starting issue....possibly a coroded connector somewhere, need to take them all apart and inspect and clean.

TANK COVER:-the bolts into this little front cover are bloody awkward, wish i never took them out now, replace with the quick release fairing fasteners.

TANK:-needs replacing eventually due to the disgracefully rusty fuel filler rim on the lip underneath the cap, ill look out until a cheap one comes along in red or if an immaculate one comes along in another colour i might just have it with a view to a spray, ill get by for a while as it is.

SEAT:-get an Airhawk seat cushion to add a little comfort and a little increase in height for extra leg room.

REAR SETS:-adjust the Gilles backwards and upwards for a more tilted forward position and give it a try, make it easier to put the weight on the front end (see i pay attention).

BELLYPAN:-stone chipped to death & road scuffed on the underneath on both sides....either leave it as it is as it is clearly protecting other bits of the bike, or maybe ask devilsyam about this carbon dipping, im divided on how it would look in carbon & my ocd would then want the rear mudguard done the same to match on the bottom end ie carbon fender extendor, bellypan & mudguard, possibly a bit carbon overkill given how much it already has.

EXHAUST:-replace the studs & collars to manifold as they look tatty and need future proofing.

REAR SUSPENSION:-leave the Nitron alone for now but eventually get it sent off for a service and adjustment for me. Get a Jack up kit for the rear + 25mm for a meaner look and more room and complete the sporty stance,  im tall enough for the rise.

ENGINE:-oil & filter change, look out for a cheap power commander, already has a K&N, lars airbox mod, blocked AiS, de cat, Ivans FCE but i really need a power commander to tie it all in. It has done 40k miles now but is really strong. Thinking i shouldnt worry about it as it should do another 50k and im not likely to still have it in another 40k considering i average 3-4k a year.

FASTENERS:-replace a number of bolts and fixings as they are a bit corroded and furry and nasty looking, i need to find an alternative to Pro-Bolt as they cost a fortune, without being too tacky i would like a few gold bolts dotted around for the general theme.

NUMBER PLATE:-get a slightly smaller plate as the massive standard one it has now is spoiling the rear end.

TYRES:-need new ones, keep my promise to stevie and give some Maxxis Diamonds a go.

MOT:-probably should have put this at the top of the list, fingers crossed.

« Last Edit: 31 January 2015, 08:53:03 am by noggythenog »

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 31 January 2015, 09:25:38 am »
scrap all efforts above come see me i have up/down plates £20 powder coated to not pait finish like the expensive lust ones

755 mid rise bars on lower risers so 755 low rise on stock bar risers would work out same

low rise 755 on fazer 1000 risers

best set up so far triumph speed triple risers and 755 mid rise

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 31 January 2015, 10:19:16 am »
Fancy another project Luke?

I feel a PM coming on 8)

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 31 January 2015, 11:48:52 am »
My order book is full till April's as doing a build for dave bright and front end for nick crisp but always got time to talk and pointers