Date: 25-04-24  Time: 12:17 pm

Author Topic: Luggage and 12v adaptor question  (Read 2515 times)

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Luggage and 12v adaptor question
« on: 28 January 2015, 07:09:54 pm »
Just wondered if someone could shed some light on luggage and 12v adaptor fittings. I really like the bike and now we're back from holiday I fancy doing a few ride outs - the added bonus of working from home comes in handy  :) I've only managed to clock up 1200 local'ish miles since September having returned back and fancy clocking up a few more than that  8)

Thinking of getting a box and maybe some panniers with the box preferably having a back rest on it - so the wife can come out to play as well - hopefully she'll get over here fear of falling off the back. Looking at some makes is a bit of a mine field and with some people preferring certain makes, fitting kits, etc. I pretty much want to be able to store 2 lids and a few other bits and pieces in it but also looking at something that is fairly easy to remove if and when. does anyone have experience of a certain make that holds up that won't break the bank?

Also, I've got what looks like some kind of charging point that is connected directly to the battery - not 100% sure as I've not looked directly at the battery and just assuming it is, as it has optimiser/optimate (?) written on it. Just thinking it would be handy to have a hook up point for maybe my phone/ twat nav, etc and wondered what my options are?

I did think about fitting a 12v cigarette lighter in the fairing but not to keen on drilling out the fairing.....

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
Re: Luggage and 12v adaptor question
« Reply #1 on: 28 January 2015, 07:27:07 pm »
I have a 12v cigarette type connector and a usb connector in a little unit that I got off ebay for about a fiver. I use it to power my satnav and phone. I just stuck it on the fairing infill panel with a double sided sticky pad, has stuck ok for the last 2000 miles.
As for luggage you are probably looking at givi, loads off different sizes and not cheap new, look for good second hand stuff, top boxes that can hold two helmets are quite large!

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2015, 09:58:03 pm »
Thanks for the that. Don't suppose when it's possible that you could post a pic of it up at all or a link where you got it from?

Givi seems to be coming up quite a bit and you're right there not cheap  :eek Am I right is saying that I'd need the rack, the adaptor, then the top box. Main thing is to store the lids when out for a day so I'm not carrying them around that would also double up, if needed, for bunging some other stuff for a weekend out somewhere.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 29 January 2015, 12:08:49 am »
Givi seems to be coming up quite a bit and you're right there not cheap  :eek Am I right is saying that I'd need the rack, the adaptor, then the top box.

I have the Givi setup and you're right, the problem with the FZ6 is that, with the under-seat pipes, you need the adapter kit to be able to mount the pannier racks and top-box plate. Once you have that, you're sorted, although it's a bit of a faff fitting them.

The 44 Litre Givi Top Box will hold two lids.

The connector you have is, as you say, for an Optimate charger, but you could use it "backwards" to power other things. Just remember that it's not switched, it will always be live, so if you leave something attached it could end up draining your battery!

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2015, 09:06:25 pm »
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Motorcycle-Scooter-12V-USB-Waterproof-Cigarette-Lighter-Power-Port-Outlet-Socket-/400695563263?pt=UK_Motorcycle_Parts&hash=item5d4b5113ff.

Try this link for the power adaptor, it is very similiar to mine, though they do seem to have gone up in price.

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 January 2015, 10:05:14 am »
Thanks Grahamm & slappy  :)

I might just keep an eye out for a second hand rack and box. The other option would be to buy another bike with it on already - although that's just an excuse to get another bike of some sort  :lol

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 02 February 2015, 04:15:30 pm »
Thanks Grahamm & slappy  :)

I might just keep an eye out for a second hand rack and box. The other option would be to buy another bike with it on already - although that's just an excuse to get another bike of some sort  :lol

Well of course you could always put it to the Mrs as "I'm looking for something more comfortable for the two of us to share"  ;)

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 February 2015, 10:56:47 am »
Already dealing with that one  8)

The other half is pretty cool knowing that I'd do it anyway so why go against me. I won't be looking to get rid of the 6 as it does everything I need. It's an 04 with 9k miles and pretty much mint and out the box. I can hear a twin or a triple calling my name  ;)

Estuarybiker

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 04 February 2015, 06:56:18 pm »
Nath, I got a DL1000 GT for the touring.  Came with Monster panniers and top box as standard.  I got an '08 for 3.5k with 10k miles.  It's a very different ride to the Fazer and and the engine braking like the fuel consumption when ridden hard is WOW! It's a great balance to the Fazer. 

Nath

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 07 February 2015, 09:19:32 am »
I like the look of the DL's  8) I think I need a 1 litre bike in my life  :b