Date: 19-04-24  Time: 11:04 am

Author Topic: Winter Corosion on Alloy  (Read 2458 times)

Neon Knight

• Weekend Warrior
  • In space no one can hear you fart !
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS1000 01
    • View Profile
Winter Corosion on Alloy
« on: 27 January 2015, 07:37:46 pm »
Brain Picking Time. usually ride my box eye 600 in winter but due 2 some prick jamming on his anchors and me clipping him and being sent downward rather hard I have had to switch to my summer toy (gen 1 1000) whilst I scour the tinternet and other places for replacement bits for old faithful. I have been out and about on the thou in all weather for the last 2 months now and the alloy bits are starting to became a little furry. Apart from Autosol and a lot of elbow grease, does anyone have any other, hopefully better suggestions as to how I can return the afore mentioned alloy bits to their former glory. Here's hoping. Cheers and thanks in advance.  :thumbup

devilsyam

• GP Hero
  • Veteran fazer modder
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - streetfighter
    • View Profile
Re: Winter Corosion on Alloy
« Reply #1 on: 27 January 2015, 08:21:48 pm »
www.Devilsyam.com (Fazerpedia)

Smurfbud

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - + KTM1190 +GSXR750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 28 January 2015, 08:59:42 am »
In this case prevention is better than cure ...

Give the bike the best clean its ever had and dry it off using a hairdryer/leaf blower. Then give everything metal/alloy (except brake discs of course) a good coating ACF50 to help prevent corrosion in the first place, using a stiff bristle brush to get the ACF worked into nooks and crannies including bolt heads.

Give the bike a cold water hose down after each use if possibe, but if you are using the bike daily then hose down as frequently as possible to get the road crud & salt off before it gets a chance to cause corrosion.

You are looking to get a long lasting protective barrier on the bike. WD40 also works but to a lesser extent.
Still a pupil at the school of life ....

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 28 January 2015, 03:04:41 pm »
+1 Acf 50. :)
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 January 2015, 11:54:01 am »
There is (or was) a crowd that gave bikes a complete AFC50 protection treatment. I had it done a few years ago in Ireland and can vouch for its effectiveness. I heard they came back the next year but forgot to tell anybody they were coming so no one turned up. I haven't heard from them since and I can not, for the life of me, remember their name. 

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 January 2015, 01:42:53 pm »
All Year Biker

Can't recall the exact Web address (and too lazy to use Google)!

Nooj of this very parish has the franchise in Newbury.

I've had it done on both my Bikes, and all 6 of the charity Bikes - it's very well worth the £60...

bowen93

• CBT Wobbler
  • level of weirdness i can achieve maxed out
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 April 2015, 10:31:15 am »
ifi may acf50 i have used for years and find it amazing stuff i ride in all weathers as it was my only transport until recently, acf-50 was designed by learjet for the aviation industry they also do another called corrosion block that was designed for the marine industry it is like acf-50 but stronger and better also dries and doesnt leave a residue. i buy direct from the flying shop which is a main supplier of acf-50 and corrosion block in 1 litre bottles for 30 quid you can buy smaller though. where as acf-50 lasts for 12 months corrosion block last for upto 2 years same company same makers just stronger due to being designed with dealing with salt damage and corrosion in mind.  i also have for many years used the corrosion block grease on my bike again designed for marine and is far better than standard bearing grease you can buy plus kills corrosion. all of the bearings on my fazer 1000 are packed or put on with corrosion block due to it doesnt break down or dry out in time also. and no i dont work for or have anything to do with them. i have just spent thousands of pounds repairing damage caused by riding in the ice and snow over the years because of salt damage. here is the website if you are interested due to bike dealers over charging for the items as you can see they sell both and they are both the same price http://www.flyingshop.com/aircraft-protection/
from the minute your born you are dying, so make the most of it and live life to the max