Date: 28-03-24  Time: 09:51 am

Author Topic: The perfect workspace  (Read 8488 times)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
The perfect workspace
« on: 10 January 2015, 05:59:04 pm »
I'm sure some of you Foccers have a workshop/workspace/garage where you like to spend the cold winter nights hiding from the wife and kids... Or repairing things (as they believe  ;) ). So I want the benefit of your vast wealth of collective experience...

I am in the process of re-doing my garage. It was there when I bought the house in 08', and had been up for about 15 years then. At that time it housed a boat and little else. Now it has my bikes, tools, golf clubs, occasionally my car, and various other bits and bobs.

It started to subside a while back, so I have used this as an excuse to fix it and fit it out properly. I have fitted 3 x 4ft fluorescent lamps. There are 3 double plug points. I plan to paint the walls white, and in the spring I will use epoxy paint on the floor. I am going to build a 4ft wooden workbench and buy a 4ft metal workbench. These will sit at the back with my triple tool stack in between them. I have various shelving units and stacking systems to hold bits and bobs. I have a bench grinder, vice and might buy a table top drill. I also plan on buying something to house all my bike gear, like a clothing rack or similar. I have a comfy seat, a woklamp, several movable worklamps and a heater. I don't plan to have any running water, as drainage will be an issue. Also, I have loads of posters, pictures and a clock to go up once its done.

It'll mostly be used for avoiding housework and taking stuff apart.

So Foccers, what am I missing to have the perfect workspace?

(The pictures below are the garage in its current state)
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
Re: The perfect workspace
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2015, 06:19:43 pm »
Intercom so mrs knows when you need tea and biscuits    :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2015, 06:21:34 pm »
Intercom so mrs knows when you need tea and biscuits    :thumbup

:rollin :rollin :rollin

I have one. I leave the dining room window open and shout loud as foc!!!
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2015, 06:38:14 pm »
Reckon you've got the space to copy mine...
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Stupid Luke

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM Superduke R
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2015, 06:44:54 pm »
Space heater, stereo, beer fridge.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2015, 07:11:57 pm »
storage mate. storage storage and more storage. The more places you have to put stuff the tidier you can get it, meaning more free floorspace (so long as you dont fall into the trap of filling all your storage with shit you buy from bike shows and jumbles etc. :lol)

a heater is a good shout as above.

I have a wooden shed as opposed to a garage, but I lined most of one wall with various hooks and tool clips for stuff that come in handy. something you might want to lok into as they are fairly cheap and can be put above workbenches to max out storage. thos eplastic boxes you get out of most places now are handy too as you can use them like drawers in storage units, and if you buy ones with lids it will keep damp/condensation out too (I use one of these for storing cleaning cloths in so they dont get damp).

Ive got a spare one of these as well:

Since your local, you can have it if you want. I bought 2 originally but onyl really have room for the one (I dont have spare bottles though, but they hold most spray bottles and aerosol cans as well)  :thumbup

« Last Edit: 10 January 2015, 07:12:52 pm by mickvp »

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2015, 08:25:21 pm »
That look handy Mick. Thanks  :D .

I should have said heater, I thought I did. That is on my list anyway. The beer fridge is a good shout, but it's cold enough to keep beer in there for about 3/4 of the year anyway.

I got some of those big stack-able industrial moving boxes. 5 of them. I think that's about 250+ litres of storage. And they hardly take up any space. I also have 8 shelves, 4 big-uns and 4 smaller-uns. Ceiling hooks are handy too, and I have two bike roof store things.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 11 January 2015, 10:14:01 am »
I'd definitely make a bike bench a priority, so you can get them up above back breaking level to work on, easier access etc.

Frosties, how much to rent yours, where do you put the the bed when not in use, and when can I move in?  :lol

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 11 January 2015, 01:03:33 pm »
Big hooks with a tennis ball on the end are great for hanging helmets on.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #9 on: 11 January 2015, 02:07:44 pm »
Big hooks with a tennis ball on the end are great for hanging helmets on.

:thumbup :thumbup

I have every helmet I've ever owned. I was planning on mounting them on the ceiling or wall (the old ones), like they have at the Arai factory. Mind you, I don't have that many  :lol .

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 11 January 2015, 02:59:57 pm »
Love the way the fazer has its very own square of carpet but the others dont

I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2015, 04:52:04 pm »
Ha. Got to look after my baby  :) .

Doddsie

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2015, 06:31:03 pm »

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #13 on: 25 February 2015, 12:58:28 pm »
Ok boys. I have a week and a bit off work and I plan to use it to finish my "project workshop". I have now finished all of the structural work and the building is solid. The lighting is now up and running and I have everything I need to get the job finished. But I have a problem...

I currently have 5, read five, motorcycles in there  :groan . I KNOW I HAVE A PROBLEM, but that is not the one I need advice with.

I am going to have to take them outside to paint the inside of the garage (walls, floor and ceiling - at least 2 coats each, probably 4 days). I have several security devices and have just bought a couple of new chains and padlocks, so I intend to chain all the bikes together, which should make it quite difficult for a thief (3 of the 5 bikes are alarmed too).

My concern is really for my other stuff. 29er Mountain Bike (cost £1000), 2 other bikes, a triple stacker tool chest full of quality tools, power tools, helmets, leathers, boots, 2 sets of golf clubs... You get the idea. All my stuff.

I can park my car in a way that the the fence would need to be removed for anyone to get a bike out. But the other stuff could just be lifted over. I can bring some of it inside (maybe, but there is a woman in here and the smell of petrol and the fear of spiders could be an issue). I have thought about chaining the missus outside and bringing everything inside, but that's probably not going to be good for my long term health. I have a big tarpaulin and a pop up gazebo, but I recon they might attract attention rather that hide the stuff.

I can put the stuff back inside when I am doing the walls and ceiling, but when the floor gets painted the stuff has to stay outside for a few days.

What do you guys think I should do? What would you do?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 25 February 2015, 01:22:32 pm »
I can park my car in a way that the the fence would need to be removed for anyone to get a bike out. But the other stuff could just be lifted over.

So it's the kind of fence that can be seen through/over? If so, therein lies the problem. But hard to advise without knowing the exact layout you are dealing with and you may not wish to disclose too much on that for obvious reasons. So if you can't replace the fence with something more obstructive sight-wise, hard to know how to help. No one who can look after some of it for you for a couple of weeks?

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #15 on: 25 February 2015, 01:44:32 pm »
why not paint back half of floor and walls etc & a path way down one side one day then whenthats dry move all the stuff onto painted side & paint the front (less "pathway")

just an idea
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

ChristoT

• Alleged Foc-u Daphnis & Chloe expert
  • GP Hero
  • Fluent in English, French and bullshit!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Saab 9-3, caravan, hang glider
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 26 February 2015, 08:35:39 pm »
I currently have 5, read five, motorcycles in there  :groan . I KNOW I HAVE A PROBLEM, but that is not the one I need advice with.

[...]

What do you guys think I should do? What would you do?

Give me one, clear up some space.  :lol
The Deef's apprentice

Estuarybiker

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 26 February 2015, 09:24:16 pm »
I know the feeling...I'm in conversion mode as well.  I added some floor anchors.  You'll need a few with all those bikes  :eek :lol

robby boy

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Sprint ST 1050
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 27 February 2015, 10:14:42 pm »
Do you not have a friendly neighbour who would let you use his garage for a couple of days?
If you worried about falling off your bike, you'd never get on.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #19 on: 27 February 2015, 10:17:38 pm »

Give me one, clear up some space.  :lol

Erm, no. Although they will be outside if you want to try and take one...

By the way, I have firearms in the house  ;)   :lol

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #20 on: 27 February 2015, 10:18:33 pm »
I know the feeling...I'm in conversion mode as well.  I added some floor anchors.  You'll need a few with all those bikes  :eek :lol

Had one in the floor for years and I have another one in a box to be fitted post painting.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #21 on: 27 February 2015, 10:19:09 pm »
Do you not have a friendly neighbour who would let you use his garage for a couple of days?

I am the proud owner of the only garage on the street.

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 28 February 2015, 12:12:33 am »
what ever you have make sure it's tidy.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #23 on: 06 March 2015, 10:38:47 pm »
Foccin 'ell. What a way to spend my week off. Well, two weeks off. The weather has been ok, apart from the wind. On a test run last month my gazeebo thing got trashed. I repaired it and it has help up well. Until tonight. It had been fine all day. Then I called it quits at 7 o clock and went inside for a bath. Got out the bath and the gazeebo is all over the place  :rolleyes . Pictures of that tomorrow.

I have the workspace empty and the painting is about half way finished. Tomorrow I am going to paint the wooden beams grey and make the first coat on the floor.

Then (probably on Monday and have a rest on Sunday) I am going to do the second coat on the floor and paint my go-faster stripe.

The rest of the week I will pick through what is going back in, cleaning everything and building my new work benches - a metal one with a vice and pillar drill, and a wooden one with a bench grinder and work lamp. Both benches will have backboards that will accommodate tools and parts bins.

Oh, and I am having 20-25 A3 laminated posters made up. Just searching the net for some great pictures that reflect me, my space and offer a little inspiration.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #24 on: 06 March 2015, 10:40:49 pm »
And here is the plan for the layout.