Date: 28-03-24  Time: 14:28 pm

Author Topic: How far to commute?  (Read 9158 times)

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
How far to commute?
« on: 10 January 2015, 01:07:56 pm »
I 'Might' be getting a job in a few weeks which is 70 miles away, but hopefully for quite a bit more money, and a much  better job!

I currently do a 40 mile round trip during my shifts, and I see that as reasonable.

How far do you guys commute to work, and how do you get there? (car/bike/bus)
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
Re: How far to commute?
« Reply #1 on: 10 January 2015, 01:12:36 pm »
50 mile each way into and across London to Canary Wharf. About 55mins going in and an 1hr 5mins coming home.

Should be a fairly easy ride from where you live, especially for a better job with a lot more money. Only downside I can see is filling up each day.

Good luck fella.
« Last Edit: 10 January 2015, 01:16:25 pm by Frosties »
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #2 on: 10 January 2015, 01:38:05 pm »
7 miles from my home to the Control Room. That's where I start every shift. If I go anywhere else, it's in work time. Oh, 11 minutes there and 7 minutes back. If I'm in rush hour and in the car you can add another 5 minutes. And there is a train station at the end of my street. The next stop is Glasgow Central and it takes just over six minutes.

I've never been one for a big commute. I can't be arsed with it. It's bad enough having to go to work  :rolleyes .
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

J_Dub

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 10 January 2015, 01:43:50 pm »
I currently commute from Rossendale to near Congleton, just over 50miles each way. Takes me an hour and a quarter in the morning including a stop at a Tesco for a paper, milk etc. The return journey varies, about an hour and 20 mins (non stop) but can take much longer depending on the traffic on the M60 and M66. I travel by car/van as I have equipment to take with me. Worth it to me for the money and I'm used to the travel (but would like something a bit closer to home), I work in construction and have to go where the work is.

Tmation

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 10 January 2015, 02:02:10 pm »
I live about 700M from my work, no commute   :thumbup

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 10 January 2015, 02:55:43 pm »
about 12 miles each way for me. usually 20 mins - half an hour each way on either the car or bike (always nearer the 20 on the bike, because filtering).

I see anything upto 20-30 miles each way reasonable, not sure I would want to go much more than that, especially not if it meant going through a heavily congested area.

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 10 January 2015, 03:00:18 pm »
15 Miles each way for me. About 30 minutes there (I tend to work early mornings if I can) and about 45 minutes back. I use the bike in the Summer then it's only 20 minutes each way.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2015, 06:04:18 pm »
Most days I work from home so about 15 seconds to walk from the bedroom to the office.
Other days I go where the company wants me to go. When I was working in Canary Wharf (25 or so miles from Crawley) it would take at least 1 1/2 hours each way. Heathrow in the car was 45 miles away and took  1-1 1/2 hours in the car or an hour on the bike. Vauxhall (25 miles) takes me 1 hour 40 mins by train.

For the last 25 years or so, I have seen a 1 hour commute as normal and acceptable.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

mr self destruct

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Riding without a crash since 24-04-15
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2015, 08:40:34 pm »
By car, my commute is 21 miles taking 25 minutes (I live just off the M6 jct2 and work just off jct5), but on my bike it's 25 miles and an hour as I like to take the country lanes. Using public transport it would be 3 hrs in theory, but impossible as I work shifts.

At 70 miles you're probably looking at 1 1/2 hours each way depending on the type of roads etc, which regardless of the job can potentially take a real toll on your home life, so factor this in when making your decision.
My wife used to work in Birmingham city centre, and despite being only 4 miles more than my commute, hers took 1 3/4 hours minimum because of the traffic. A lot of the time it would take her over 2 1/2 too.

Best of luck though, whatever you decide to do.  :)
Broken, bruised, forgotten, sore,
too fucked up to care any more.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 January 2015, 09:05:52 pm »
9 miles at the moment. For the most part I've been using the bike, but recently I've been using the new car

Soon to be < 2 miles as of a month so I'll probably start cycling when it's dry :D

Millietant

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Apr RSV, FJ1200, FZS1000 & 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 January 2015, 09:41:31 pm »
I commute to one of three offices - the closest (Bradford) is 119 miles each way and the furthest (Weston Super Mare) is 140 miles away.

I commute by car, but occasionally take a bike in the summer (the Fazer 1000 or FJ 1200).

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 11 January 2015, 02:33:46 pm »
70 miles each way? Bugger that! I've always moved close to wherever I work in the past, keeps commuting costs down, which can be very substantial (fuel, tyres, wear and tear etc), and come winter, I wouldn't be interested in biking that distance every day in all weather. Plus, that's up to 3 hours added on to the working day - 3 hours in which you could have your feet up in front of the telly, relaxing, so feeling more refreshed for the next day. In my case, that means feeling fresher at work, so I do my job better, and the working day passes more quickly. I've always strived to give work as little time as I can get away with, try to reduce it's impact on my free time as much as possible, because it's my free time, and what my pay allows me to do with it, that counts in this life. Maybe you're made of tougher stuff than me Stevie, but I wouldn't do it. I think 20 miles or so each way would be my max.

NorthWestern

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 11 January 2015, 03:01:37 pm »
45 miles each way. Take the bike pretty much every day unless I need to lug something bigger than my too box.
Intentionally left blank

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 11 January 2015, 05:42:38 pm »
Yeah, it's looking like if I get the job I'll have to move a bit closer to work. After thinking about it quite a bit, It's a bit too far even for me and my crazy ideas!
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

maddog04

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Pan ST1300
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 11 January 2015, 10:49:16 pm »
20 miles each way always on the bike, unless its proper poor weather I ride all year round. takes about 40 minutes E/W

where are you off to Ste and what will you be doing (promotion?)
fire never sleeps

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #15 on: 12 January 2015, 10:08:40 am »
daily commute of 32 miles each way (45-50 mins) from waterlooville to Basingstoke
weekly commute 240 miles to Falmouth fridays & sundays
gotta go where the work / money is!
It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 12 January 2015, 10:13:25 am »
I used to do 80 miles up the M3 from Southampton to Heathrow.  I found that my lips would be numb when I arrived at work in the cold weather so I couldn't talk properly.

I hate commuting and changed jobs to get an easier commute.  Currently I either do 7.5 or 5 miles (depending on office).  I usually cycle now so at least I get some fitness out of the commute time (45 minutes plus 15 shower time for the 7.5 miles in to central London).

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 January 2015, 11:05:17 am »
50 mile each way into and across London to Canary Wharf.

Hey Frosties, I'm in the Thomson Reuters building...where do you keep your bike?
Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 January 2015, 12:07:15 pm »
Most days I work from home so about 15 seconds to walk from the bedroom to the office.

Can you cut your commute in half if you walk faster, or do you have a really big house? Either way, I am jealous!

45 miles each way, cutting across Dublin about and hour door to door. Traffic is foul but weather is usually the biggest challenge. I don't mind rain, but fierce cross-winds on the exposed sections of the motorway which gets under my skin after an hour of being buffeted around the place. I have started working from home 2 days a week, so it's not as bad as it used to be - give me a chance to dry out the damp gear.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 12 January 2015, 01:31:24 pm »

I remember being able to do this... sometimes I still do. Tomorrow will likely be one of those days ;)

I need to figure out if the cost of fuel to drive to and from work, is more or less than the cost of having the heating on in the flat all day if I am home :P

Fazerider

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 12 January 2015, 01:51:19 pm »

I've a 36 mile journey from Sandhurst to work in West London but do 12 hour days so only travel in 7 times a fortnight, additionally I've the benefit of choosing my start time so I can avoid the rush hour. It's still a pain in the backside though.
The fun of a 70 mile trip 5 days a week would wear off pretty fast I suspect.

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #21 on: 12 January 2015, 02:35:51 pm »
Only about 12 miles each way, Dagenham, East London to London Bridge. But can take around 40+ mins as it's always snarled up big time.
However I ride year round. In 2.5 years of riding, only on one day have I looked out the window and said 'feck that for a laugh' - there was 4" of snow on my bike...

odbguy

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 12 January 2015, 02:45:39 pm »
420 miles each way by car.. I'm only home for the weekends  :(
My drive home on a Friday tends to take anywhere  between 4 and 8 hours..
Back to work 4-5 hours ..
Looking forward to abit of good weather then the bike will hopefully be quicker and abit more fun :)

Buzz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: 12 January 2015, 03:23:43 pm »
420 miles each way by car.. I'm only home for the weekends  :(
My drive home on a Friday tends to take anywhere  between 4 and 8 hours..
Back to work 4-5 hours ..
Looking forward to abit of good weather then the bike will hopefully be quicker and abit more fun :)

Wowsers, where to where and what do you do when you get there?!?!

Eagles may soar, but weasels don't get sucked into jet engines...

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: 12 January 2015, 03:43:56 pm »
At the moment 6 miles each way , so I drive in on night shift as the car park is empty , have been taking the bus to work on day shift but I am going to start cycling on day shift as of Wednesday , If i'm taking on  permanently I will use the Fazer  from the spring onwards when on nights .
Used to travel a lot further when I was younger , and anything over 100 miles each way , I would lodge and come home weekends , can.t be arsed with that anymore  .