Date: 19-03-24  Time: 07:20 am

Author Topic: ECU Reflashing  (Read 9380 times)

Smurfbud

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - + KTM1190 +GSXR750
    • View Profile
ECU Reflashing
« on: 07 January 2015, 08:05:59 pm »
Hi Guys

There is a lot of talk and info on ECU reflashing on the US FZ8 forum which apparently removes factory restrictions in gears 1,2 and 3, removes that 5500-6000rpm flat-spot and a few other bits. It is customisable for any given tuning mods, ie K&N, slip on etc and also loads in a revised fuel map so a PCV isnt necessary.

I was wondering if anyone in UK has sent their ECU for reflashing? if so any opinions?
cheers
Still a pupil at the school of life ....

Seabass

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
Re: ECU Reflashing
« Reply #1 on: 08 January 2015, 09:00:06 pm »
Got my FZ1 ECU re flash at Hilltop Motorcycles in Leicester. Give Geoff at Hilltop a call mate, the reflash has given my FZ a kick up the arse (not that it needed it in the first place!) I had it done mainly to smooth out throttle response, it did this as well as give me 147rwhp and 76lb/ft torque at the rear wheel, as well as raise the limiter and remove restrictions in the first three gears.

Smurfbud

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - + KTM1190 +GSXR750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 09 January 2015, 11:34:38 am »
Thanks for the reply Seabass. I am bloomin sure the FZ1 didnt require any more horses  :) I too am not looking for power gains per se, just a better throttle response and power delivery.

Thanks for the heads up with Geoff at Hilltop, but Leicester is a canny old treck from Newcastle. During my extensive online explorations I came across Race HQ near Leeds (much closer to me) who will do the reflash with dyno runs included for £150+VAT. I also have the option of just sending him the ECU if I want. This is much cheaper than installing a PCV with dyno runs and mapping locally and once set up for my particular bike mods, I shouldnt need to change it again.

Just need the weather to improve a little so I can take a blast down there. I will update the thread once the work has been done. cheers

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 09 January 2015, 01:03:27 pm »
You'll be much better off taking the bike mate. Dyno's help, but you really need to actually ride a bike during mapping to see how it feels, not just on paper!

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 09 January 2015, 02:54:39 pm »
Thanks for the reply Seabass. I am bloomin sure the FZ1 didnt require any more horses  :) I too am not looking for power gains per se, just a better throttle response and power delivery.

Thanks for the heads up with Geoff at Hilltop, but Leicester is a canny old treck from Newcastle. During my extensive online explorations I came across Race HQ near Leeds (much closer to me) who will do the reflash with dyno runs included for £150+VAT. I also have the option of just sending him the ECU if I want. This is much cheaper than installing a PCV with dyno runs and mapping locally and once set up for my particular bike mods, I shouldnt need to change it again.

Just need the weather to improve a little so I can take a blast down there. I will update the thread once the work has been done. cheers

A guy at work has had his Blade and Aprilia reflashed at Race HQ and recommended them to me, unfortunately he told me about them after I had fitted a JuiceBox pro to my FZ1 :\ . I have been toying with the idea of dumping the JuiceBox and having the ecu reflashed but funding has yet to be released by the wife!
if you do get it done let us know how you get on.

Smurfbud

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - + KTM1190 +GSXR750
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 09 January 2015, 03:58:13 pm »
Spoke with Gavin at Race HQ today and he says he hasnt had any FZ1s or 8s asking for ECU reflashing, only R1s and R6s so far. I am not surprised as it isnt readily obvious that they provide this kind of service for our bikes. I think it needs to be advertised a lot more to generate business, which hopefully this thread will help to do. It wasnt easy to find anyone who does Yamaha FZ's ECU reflashing based in the North.

I totally agree that it is better to take the bike and have dyno runs done rather than send the ECU off for a generic "off the bike" flash, however, its all distance related for most of us. Fortunately its only a couple of hrs down the road for me to get to Race HQ, so I will hopefully get down there later this month.

As I said previously, I will keep the thread updated with progress. Cheers

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 09 January 2015, 05:30:15 pm »
I'm looking for someone in South Wales who does ECU reflashing if anyone can help. Plenty of people with Dyno's but they won't touch ECU's.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

Smurfbud

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - + KTM1190 +GSXR750
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 10 January 2015, 09:18:18 am »
I have come across Motomatrix in Powys if thats any good !! after all, Wales isnt that big a place  :lol

http://www.motomatrix.co.uk/flash-programme.html

They do R1s and R6s so they only need a different interface cable (approx £80) to be able to do an FZ. From what I can see they dont have an in-house dyno though. All depends what you want them to do as to whether you need a dyno. good luck
« Last Edit: 10 January 2015, 09:35:53 am by Smurfbud »

Grayo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • Another ex Fazer owner still hanging around.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Tiger 1050 Sport
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 10 January 2015, 03:28:55 pm »
I have come across Motomatrix in Powys if thats any good !! after all, Wales isnt that big a place  :lol

http://www.motomatrix.co.uk/flash-programme.html

They do R1s and R6s so they only need a different interface cable (approx £80) to be able to do an FZ. From what I can see they dont have an in-house dyno though. All depends what you want them to do as to whether you need a dyno. good luck

Thanks, but they just want you to send them the parts to flash and that's not what I'm after. I'd like it set up on the bike.
I could change my opinion, but then we'd both be wrong.

gel

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 19 February 2018, 04:37:01 pm »
I have 2009 FZ1 with a bos can on and that is all. Thinking about the ECU upgrade from hilltop motorcycle's. Is the bike still ridable in greasy conditions? Is it better than the PC route?