Date: 28-03-24  Time: 23:05 pm

Author Topic: I fancy a change of bike... Or do I?  (Read 4403 times)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
I fancy a change of bike... Or do I?
« on: 07 January 2015, 06:42:35 pm »
I am thinking of taking my boxeye off the road when the insurance/tax runs out at the end of Spring. I need to do the steering head bearing and I was thinking of powdercoating the frame and changing the rest of the chassis bearings. Maybe service the carbs whilst the engine is out too. It is coming on 40k and I want to rest it and take care of all the wee bits before they become an issue.

So, my dilemma is as follows... Do I put my YZS 1000 Thunderace on the road for a year, or do I sell it buy something else? I have booked up for Germany for 8 days in May (one my own  :D ), where I will be hitting the Nurburgring again, and exploring the black forrest and surrounding area. I expect to cover around 4000 miles over the year, and it will all be pleasure use and mostly 300 mile days.

I was considering buying a brand new Moto Guzzi 1200 Sport, but have gone off the idea caus' I can't be arsed with the dealer "servicing" (read conning) the bike (me). I do fancy a big twin as I have never had one before. I was thinking of an Aprilia tuono? Honda Firestorm? Suzuki whatsit (not gixxer, the other one, TL is it?). I can spend a few grand in a cash sale, max. No more than that. I have 4 bikes already and the missus will kick me square in the balls if I spend more than that on a fifth bike. If I sell the Ace, she won't bother as it will fund the replacement... Nearly :lol

So, more out of interest, have any of you lived with a big twin that you would recommend? Top speed is of no real interest to me. I'm more about the torque and that glorious sound... Bang, bang, bang, bang!!! I love it. I don't wan't a sporty riding position, so a Duke is out. Upright'sh, wide arms is fine, something that looks cool and has a bit of street cred.

Go on foccers, get stuck in!
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: I fancy a change of bike... Or do I?
« Reply #1 on: 07 January 2015, 07:34:27 pm »
I have had a quick ride of a firestorm in the past. Not for everyone, I quite liked the power delivery though, but I do prefer torque over all out speed.

Fuel economy is supposed to be pretty poor though and range on the one I had a go of was about 90 miles to a tank. May have been the way it was ridden though? You would really need to get a go on one I think to see if it's for you.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 07 January 2015, 07:55:42 pm »
I have had a quick ride of a firestorm in the past. Not for everyone, I quite liked the power delivery though, but I do prefer torque over all out speed.

Fuel economy is supposed to be pretty poor though and range on the one I had a go of was about 90 miles to a tank. May have been the way it was ridden though? You would really need to get a go on one I think to see if it's for you.

Nah, they just drink petrol like its going out of fashion. Early ones had something pathetic like a 15L tank, did go up to 19L on later models but they do absolutely drink fuel.
Personally, if you wanted an upright position I'd be looking at a Tuono without question!

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 07 January 2015, 08:20:40 pm »
Add one more cylinder and have a look at linky. Sounds great, good range, handling (lose a Fazer in twisties) and comfort and a bit of attitude when in black

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/bike-reviews/triumph/tiger-900/1993/
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Aegis Bearing Mel

• FOC-U Instakok ('05)(TM) - Just add alcohol
    Geographically Disorientated Foccer
    Stealthy for a not so fat c**t
    FOC-U DIY Disaster
    Poof the Magic Dragon
    FOC-U Fudge hunting tranny smasher
  • Administrator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Naked Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 07 January 2015, 11:08:12 pm »
Dooks has an SV thou, sounds foccin' magic too.

Gotta love a big v-twin, one thing about my superduke that didn't piss me off.
My history with the SD is well documented, it was a Kunting Twatted Machine, so my advice is avoid them.
Just couldn't handle the 'Weegie weather, wiring loom literally corroded off the bike.

Always fancied an SP2 or an Aprilia RSV-R, can remember the first time the 'Priller went passed me and I could actually feel the pulses, it was lust at first sound.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #5 on: 08 January 2015, 12:53:44 am »
Yeah, I know what you mean. A big twin sounds like a monster. When one pulls in to the car park at a biker joint, it's like the local phyco just walked in to the pub and ordered a babycham. Everyone notices that shit.

The sound does it for me. As to the SV, my mate has the 650. It's a gutless wonder, and I'm really not that keen on something as "normal" as that. I fancy something different. Something that I look at and lust after, even though it's mine already. An SV would never give me that.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 08 January 2015, 02:37:03 am »
MT-01 perhaps? Not sure if its the sort of thing you are looking at given the Tuono...

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 08 January 2015, 02:51:52 am »
How about you give me your Thunderace and buy yourself a new bike? It'd be tough but I'd be willing to do it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 08 January 2015, 06:45:34 am »
Yeah, I know what you mean. A big twin sounds like a monster. When one pulls in to the car park at a biker joint, it's like the local phyco just walked in to the pub and ordered a babycham. Everyone notices that shit.

The sound does it for me. As to the SV, my mate has the 650. It's a gutless wonder, and I'm really not that keen on something as "normal" as that. I fancy something different. Something that I look at and lust after, even though it's mine already. An SV would never give me that.

The SV1000 has a slightly ironed out TL1000S engine in it, which was known for being a bit manic back in the day.
I don't think you can really compare it to the 650.
Get the right exhausts on them and they sound sweeeeet.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 08 January 2015, 07:00:17 am »
Pull two plug caps off the T/Ace. Simples  ;) 

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #10 on: 08 January 2015, 08:55:28 am »
Pull two plug caps off the T/Ace. Simples  ;)

:rollin :rollin :rollin

The MT-01 is my requested 40th birthday gift. I have been grooming the other half for years. As much as I would love one, given my current £3k budget, they are not in the running. Neither is the SV. Its just too Ford Mondeo. Nothing wrong with a Ford Mondeo, I just don't want one.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 08 January 2015, 11:42:44 am »
I know exactly what you mean!

As much as the likes of the Ford Mondeo and Ford Focus are great cars... I just don't want one. I actually saw THREE of the 2nd gen Focus' parked next to each other at Sainsburys. All the same trim (Titanium) and all the same colour (that dark grey) - they are just every where!

This is pretty much why I have my ZS :P

I did have another bike idea... but it's completely slipped from my mind :\

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 08 January 2015, 12:02:09 pm »
Tuono,s are a cracking tool but they only do one thing .....flat out   :lol  ,but would be great round the ring

From personal experience if possible avoid the 06/07 models they have a known issue with the stator
Its just a ride

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 08 January 2015, 05:51:01 pm »
A Honda Firestorm pulled up just in front of me once, completely open exhaust and ever since that chest thudding experience I always thought they are badass. Pretty cheap too considering, but they aren't sit up bikes more sporty with the clip ons and as stated guzzle fuel. Look pretty nice tricked out. TL1000 is an axe murderer machine that has a rear suspension that doesn't work for the engine / chassis although I think a lot have been modded so they do actually work now. Again, quite sporty position. Don't know anything about Tuono's. What is your actual budget? To throw a few curveballs in there that people may not think of I'll say -

Buell Lightening (The newer ones with the clever stuff like oil in the frame and brake discs that run right around the rim)
Husqvarna Nuda 900
KTM 950/990 SM/SMT
Cagiva Raptor 1000
Ducati Monster (New 1200 rated very well in bike magazine)
Ducati Streetfighter
Aprillia Dorsoduro
Honda VFR 750/800/1200
Moto Guzzi Griso 1200
Harley Sportster

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 08 January 2015, 05:56:45 pm »
A Honda Firestorm pulled up just in front of me once, completely open exhaust and ever since that chest thudding experience I always thought they are badass. Pretty cheap too considering, but they aren't sit up bikes more sporty with the clip ons and as stated guzzle fuel. Look pretty nice tricked out. TL1000 is an axe murderer machine that has a rear suspension that doesn't work for the engine / chassis although I think a lot have been modded so they do actually work now. Again, quite sporty position. Don't know anything about Tuono's. What is your actual budget? To throw a few curveballs in there that people may not think of I'll say -

Buell Lightening (The newer ones with the clever stuff like oil in the frame and brake discs that run right around the rim)
Husqvarna Nuda 900
KTM 950/990 SM/SMT
Cagiva Raptor 1000
Ducati Streetfighter
Aprillia Dorsoduro
Honda VFR 750/800/1200
Moto Guzzi Griso 1200
Harley Sportster
MV Augusta Brutale
Fixed that for you  :thumbup
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 08 January 2015, 06:14:10 pm »

Husqvarna Nuda 900
KTM 950/990 SM/SMT
Cagiva Raptor 1000
Ducati Streetfighter
Aprillia Dorsoduro
Honda VFR 750/800/1200
Moto Guzzi Griso 1200
Harley Sportster
MV Augusta Brutale

FTFY  :thumbup

Yamazer-92

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TL1000S
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 January 2015, 06:45:39 pm »

Husqvarna Nuda 900
KTM 950/990 SM/SMT
Cagiva Raptor 1000
Ducati Streetfighter
Aprillia Dorsoduro
Honda VFR 750/800/1200
Moto Guzzi Griso 1200
Harley Sportster
MV Augusta Brutale

FTFY  :thumbup

That one isn't even a twin! Yeah I thought I might get some stick for that one Nick  :D

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #17 on: 08 January 2015, 07:33:08 pm »
Most on that list are out of budget. I "have" ( ;) ) £3000 maximum to spend. Remember this is the 5th bike in the collection. So unless I wan't to be single again, I really can't get away with more than that. No finance either, so it's cash all the way. I had considered a VFR, they are WELL in budget. However, although great bikes, another sports tourer is not what I want. I fancy combining a big twin with something a bit special. Something I can show off a bit with. I know that's shallow, but I work bloody hard and don't have any kids yet. The way I see it I might as well enjoy it before I need to sell the lot to buy pampers.

My mate with the SV is saving for a Duke Monster, so I would not want to buy one before he got the chance. Some of the Supermotos are ace, but I only have 32" legs, so if the seat is over that, its out. I love the KTM SMT. My mate had one. He's 6'4" and it looked big with him on it. The harley. Never. I hate the bloody things. I know there are a few fans on here, and that's fine. To each his own. But they are not for me.

I have been shopping around and like the look of this one... It has all the fancy bits on it too.
« Last Edit: 08 January 2015, 07:55:02 pm by adeejaysdelight »

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 08 January 2015, 11:47:15 pm »
they are nice and seem to hold their price  :D
Its just a ride