Date: 18-04-24  Time: 11:59 am

Author Topic: stone chips  (Read 1665 times)

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
stone chips
« on: 11 January 2015, 03:56:56 pm »
I had a good ride down to loomies today and one of the chaps turned up on a beautiful panigalle. He was distraught because it was the first time out and he has picked up a couple of stone chips.  The thing is is it really worth spending that much on a work of art if your going to be upset every time you take it out. Maybe a glass case and a rat bike is his way forward.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: stone chips
« Reply #1 on: 11 January 2015, 04:03:59 pm »
Bikes are for riding. It's great when you have something shiny and immaculate, but it's not worth getting hung up about the condition deteriorating if you're gonna use it. And no point in having a bike if you don't use it, unless you just like to tinker then flog em on. It wouldn't put me off owning something expensive, you've just got to be realistic about it. But I probably wouldn't use something like that til summer anyway. I'd hate to see his reaction if he dropped it!

Ian-man

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 11 January 2015, 04:27:54 pm »
He should have got it wrapped in that protective film that prevents stone chips etc if he was that bothered

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 11 January 2015, 04:37:13 pm »
agree ^^

Should have got a clear vinyl wrap done to protect the paint if its that much of an issue for him - alternatively he could learn how to repair stone chips himself (although, I wouldnt want to be learning on a panigale!).

Im pretty OCD about cleaning and keeping my bike in good condition, but as Nick has said, you do need to be realistic about what level is achievable. I am able to keep my bike in pretty good condiion becaus eI dont use it in all weathers and dont do massive miles - with my car there is no chance really as I do well over 20k in a year. its all a matter of perspective. End of the day, whenever you buy anything, you need to be prepared to buy it and accept that as you use it, it will wear out. stone chips are just a matter of wear on the paint really.

EDIT. why does the AGREE smiley say im with stupid :lol
« Last Edit: 11 January 2015, 05:00:57 pm by mickvp »

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 11 January 2015, 04:55:30 pm »
Yep I love my fazer to bits but mostly when I'm riding it.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist

pointer2null

• Ye canna' change the laws of physics!
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - NC750X
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 12 January 2015, 07:17:23 pm »
potato chips are much better.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 13 January 2015, 06:12:05 am »
I suppose I would be upset if I had just spent between £K12-£K15 on a bike and got damage to paintwork but realistically you cant ride our UK roads without experiencing some damage. This is purely hypothetical as I dont have that sort of money to spend. To my way of thinking some bikes like Ducati exotica & MVs look too good to ride on our awful roads but the riding position wouldnt do me any favours-hence Fazer ownership-it may not have the kudos of the more exotic machinery but for real world riding I am more than happy!
I also run a car (bought new for £K8 5 years ago) and gave it a good coat of protective polish-hasnt stopped it getting stone chips but at least its easy to keep clean.
The way some bikes are priced its getting like the exotic cars bought for investment-not driving. Im sure the designers/factories intended their products to be used not stored away :eek

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 13 January 2015, 01:42:47 pm »
I've only bought a brand new bike once and not sure I'd bother again for this reason. The moment you ride it off the forecourt it's getting wear and tear and you have to accept that.

Buying second hand already has it 'worn in' and you're not so bothered. Also the related depreciation has passed.