Date: 24-04-24  Time: 03:47 am

Author Topic: Polo 04 1.4 engine locked???? I know it's a car but running out of places to Trn  (Read 4277 times)

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Help, I don't know if anyone here can help with this, I know it's a car but but it's an engine, 04 polo 1.4 running fine one day and seized up next the next morning. I parked up with no issues next day it turns over a couple of times then stops, then click click, ok, charge battery and click click. Cam belt covers off and I found a broken guide pulley so wondering if it's jumped a couple of teeth and jammed on a valve, cam carrier off, all valves appear to all be up so crank should turn....no. I've been wielding spammers for a fair few years now and have never had an engine do this, it's acting like I've been thrashing it with no oil in and seized solid but it had been left out over night and was stone cold, oil at correct level. I'm stumped so I was hoping someone here might be able to shed some light on this.
There ain't arf been some clever bastards

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Have you tried turning it over with the plugs out?
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Yep plugs out, cranking by hand and not a dicky bird, it's like I've drilled through a cylinder and put a bolt through.

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
But difficult to say but it could be a bearing failure. Have you tried turning over by hand with any ancillary belts removed? Also try turning engine over backwards in case it's something thats jammed in the forward rotational direction.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
 It sounds like the symptoms of hydraulic lock -ie a cylinder fills with petrol and when the crank gets spun by the starter it locks and a con rod gets bent. Hopefully it's just the valve timing has gone awol.

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Hydraulic lock was my first thought that's why I asked if he'd tried turning the engine with the plugs out.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
When you say broken guide pulley do you mean tensioner pulley ?....if the belts jumped a few teeth the pistons can hit the valves and bend them resulting in loss of compression, this will not seize the engine though,worst case the head of a valve has sheered off and jammed between piston and cylinder wall..... :\
« Last Edit: 01 January 2015, 09:23:42 pm by red98 »
One, is never going to be enough.....

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
clutch broke,trying to turn the gearbox ?

An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Thanks for replies folks, plugs are out, looked down holes with torch all look good and dry so no hydro lock, we tried bump starting at the beginning, clutch spun ok when pushing it in gear, tried cranking by hand both ways and it won't budge a jot, I'm seriously stumped by this one, maybe it is a bearing that just failed on start up. Sump off next me thinks. Please keep the suggestions coming.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
A bearing would lock solid at start up. Sounds like the cam belt has jumped a tooth and now you have the piston and valves making contact. Ford Transits cannot be bump started as they have a tendency to jump a tooth and take out the engine.

Have you tried using a socket on the crank and turning the crank backwards? You should get some movement one way or the other even if its only a few degrees.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
strange,very strange......clutch spinning when bumped but cant turn the crank on the front of the engine !!!!.....yep,agree with you,sump off time......

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
After sleeping on it I woke up realising the only other part that interacts with the crank via the fly wheel is the starter motor, popped it off and seized solid while fully engaged with the fly wheel = locked engine. All moving lovely now, never seen a starter do that before but happy it's moving again. Thanks all for your replies, I posted this on a vw forum and got no replies, posted it on here and find helpful focers willing to try and help, I think that says a lot about bikers so thanks again and happy New year to you all.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
:thumbup

That's a big part of what makes this forum great - you can ask a question on anything, and get help! Long may it continue.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Good news greenman.....got a 1.4 golf myself had a few problems lately myself, am a member of a vw forum but nowhere near as good as this one......glad you got it sorted............so.the pulley was a red herring... :lol

greenman

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Got the car started today, starter motor from a breakers, New cambelts, water pump, idler pulley (which was a red herring but I'm glad I found it) all running lovely now. I will definitely ask here first next time I need help, cheers guys.

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Thats good greenman.....another common falt with these engines is the water pump.the original has a plastic impeller that has been know to break up.hope your new one is the metal type.......