Date: 29-03-24  Time: 15:28 pm

Author Topic: Rev counter gremlin  (Read 4179 times)

sid

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - same
    • View Profile
Rev counter gremlin
« on: 30 December 2014, 04:11:10 pm »
Hello all, I'm new to the forum, just purchased a 2005 fazer 1000 and I have encountered a problem with the rev counter. With bike on centre stand and running from cold for the first 5 minutes the rev counter needle bounces up and down from 0 to 8000 rpm approx and back to 0 repeatedly, actual revs remain steady. Does anyone have any ideas what the issue might be or indeed have come across the problem and know of a fix.? :(

Watch those car drivers!

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Rev counter gremlin
« Reply #1 on: 30 December 2014, 08:14:52 pm »
Hi Sid, welcome, you have put it in the wrong place, you need to be in the hints & tips, fazer 1000 /FZ1 corner, you can introduce yourself in the introduction section, from home page click forum then the section you want, sorry but I don't know what's up with the rev counter as I have a FZ6, the first section on mine (digital) flashes on and off until the engine reaches working temp, it may be that or a fault code, someone on here will know.

sid

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - same
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 December 2014, 08:21:47 pm »
thanks chaz will do

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 31 December 2014, 11:15:24 am »
Hi Sid and welcome  :)

The Fazer 1000 has a simple fault diagnostic system incorporated in the rev counter.  The details are in the owners' manual on page 3-5. 

If there's a fault with one of the monitored items, the rev counter will show actual revs for 3 secs, then jump to the fault code indication for 3 secs, then drop to zero rpm for 3 secs before repeating the cycle.

The usual culprit is the EXUP valve which comes up as 7000rpm on the tacho.  Since the problem you've reported goes away after the motor is warmed up, I suspect the valve needs cleaning and adjusting.  See how to do it here: http://www.cartestsoftware.com/fz1/  Look under 'Exhaust Valve Maintenance'. 

Hope this helps.
« Last Edit: 31 December 2014, 11:31:58 am by Falcon 269 »

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 31 December 2014, 01:47:21 pm »
:thumbup to Falcon269

It does appears to be EXUP related, if the valve is moving freely then check the cables and the EXUP  motor. I have seen a few EXUP motors including my own give problems.

sid

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - same
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 31 December 2014, 03:41:24 pm »
Thanks to both of you for the info, I will strip down the valve and overhaul it and let you know if that fixes the problem.

Sid :)

schlumpf

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 31 December 2014, 05:44:38 pm »
All correct what's been said. The error comes up if the servo is not able to find its desired position. Mostly the exup valve has mechanical problems.

In rare cases the servo or the ECU or the cabling towards has a defect. The servo is controlled by the ECU. A time ago I had a ECU on the table with a fried driver circuit. Even that is fixable, with some effort.