Date: 28-03-24  Time: 16:12 pm

Author Topic: Buying a fazer1000....help!!  (Read 3759 times)

Jimmy2wheels

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
Buying a fazer1000....help!!
« on: 24 December 2014, 11:59:58 am »
Hi guys. I'm new here. I'm looking at buying a yamaha fazer 1000. 2003 model but it's got 50k on the clock. There's no history with it and the fairing is missing because it's turned into a streetfighter. Used to be a police bike. I've done HPI check. 2 previous owners. Owner says it rides like half the mileage and he bought it from an auction and it didn't have the service history. It's been resprayed and the logbook needs updating to the new colour. I need some guidelines on what to check when I go look at this bike. I really want a fazer and turn it into a streetfight so it's the perfect bike but I dont wAnt my head ruling my heart. What things should I look for On the bike? It's just had a service and a mot. It's cheap. £1400 so I've got a a few hundred to play with putting things right.____________________
Jimmy
[/font]

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
Re: Buying a fazer1000....help!!
« Reply #1 on: 24 December 2014, 12:18:43 pm »
50k mileage is not too much to worry about on a fully serviced bike, the valve clearance being the big service. Price really depends the on condition and because it is HPI clear doesn't necessary mean its not been crashed at some point, you have to ask yourself why the fighter conversion and respray, as it could mean its been in some kind of accident and that you will never know.

You say it used to be a Police bike......never seen a Fazer being used by the Police and I would imagine it would have been well serviced during that time if it was.

If you have a few hundred more to spend I would be tempted to look around and go for something else with less mileage and history.....its a great time to buy a bike at the moment so don't make any rash decisions.

« Last Edit: 24 December 2014, 12:22:25 pm by bigbluebear »

esetest

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - MotoguzziV7racer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 December 2014, 12:26:50 pm »
The EXUP valve needs regular servicing but is quite often neglected , check the price against the Parkers price guide online , the price given is for a standard bike with average mileage , check for cosmetic damage , and if your paying  cash , haggle , the valve check is supposed to be done at 24k so it should have been done at least once , how long has the previous owner had it and why is he selling . And don't pay extra for extras .

Jimmy2wheels

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 December 2014, 12:44:04 pm »
I'll find out the previous owner details.

He said he's selling for a change.

Is there any way of finding previous owner details online because I'm guessing he won't know apart the name of the previous.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 December 2014, 12:54:26 pm »

I would walk away.

Sadly i usually dont walk away when im involved myself because it is easy to get cought up in the excitement.

But in the cold light of day and not being involved i say walk away.

Unless you can get it for a grand.......coz if you got it for that and didnt spend much on it well that is cheap transport but otherwise no.

Plus for an extra 1k (£2500) you could have my 2008 Gen 2 with 40k miles :b ......yes im shameless.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Jimmy2wheels

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 24 December 2014, 01:07:28 pm »
Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151511201530?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not bothered about the headlight or seat but can anyone see any other problems in the pictures?

Appreciate all your advice.

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 24 December 2014, 01:17:09 pm »
Why would you pay £1400 for that bike when you could get this bike for a couple of hundred more...
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,15551.0.html   

Its advertised in the for sale section of the forum
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 24 December 2014, 01:18:35 pm »
I'll find out the previous owner details.

He said he's selling for a change.

Is there any way of finding previous owner details online because I'm guessing he won't know apart the name of the previous.

Time to walk away from this I think.....too many unknowns....bought it from an auction is a real good excuse to hide quite a lot.

Log book not updated....why has he not done this or has he not had it that long...but says he's selling for a change mmmmm!!!!!!....do all the engine and frame numbers match????

If I was buying a bike with 50K on it I would want water tight evidence with it.....you can check out the mileage from the previous MOT's on the Governments website, but why bother.

To be honest it is not a cheap bike and may turn out to one helluva expensive dud.....there's plenty others out there.

You wanted some guidance and all the advice from others on here is don't touch it.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 24 December 2014, 01:22:23 pm »
Hasnt been very well looked after really has it, stored outside, not even been cleaned properly, engine possibly been painted over.

For a few hundred quid more you could get far better.

Get one wth a fairing and then you can sell a good fairing for good money.

Jimmy2wheels

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 24 December 2014, 01:23:55 pm »
Think you guys are right.

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 24 December 2014, 01:24:08 pm »
Here's the link.

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/151511201530?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

Not bothered about the headlight or seat but can anyone see any other problems in the pictures?

Appreciate all your advice.

That front wheel looks cracked.....he's pulled the advert too.....MMMMMMMM!!!!!!!!

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 24 December 2014, 01:30:25 pm »
Why would you pay £1400 for that bike when you could get this bike for a couple of hundred more...
http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,15551.0.html   

Its advertised in the for sale section of the forum

Jimmy am i right in saying youve already asked about this bike?

The guy may not have visited the site but you can send him a private message to his email by clicking on his profile and send message....hope that helps.

If not then plenty will come up on here.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 24 December 2014, 01:36:59 pm »
The listing has been ended so presumably someone made him an offer he didn't want to pay the fees on, hopefully the OP didn't ignore the previous advice ............

Pretty shocking pile of carp considering what you can get for £300 more, brake lines and rear shock are OEM so would need replacing, I'd be very surprised if it got through the MOT with the cut down can, and if the seller CBA to give the thing a wash and fit the lights properly before listing the bike he's not going to have bothered with servicing it. Walk if not run away..........

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 24 December 2014, 01:41:40 pm »
Have a good look through the Fazer Parade thread.....every single one is better than that pile of shite.

http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,5311.0.html

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 24 December 2014, 02:04:31 pm »
Over priced if you ask me, sub 1000 .......high mileage is not a problem on these bikes as long as they have been looked after...that one has'nt.......noggys, right, the engines been repainted, look at the cam cover around the plug holes, its still silver........time to walk....the one on here looks good   :thumbup
One, is never going to be enough.....

Jimmy2wheels

• CBT Wobbler
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 24 December 2014, 02:44:21 pm »
Cheers guys, great help.

I'll give this a miss. I was going to swap for my Ducati 750ss here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161516513811?ssPageName=STRK:MEUNSOLD:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1560.l2649

But think I'll just service mine and keep an eye out later on.

Timbo

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 08 January 2015, 09:48:09 pm »
Jimmy

I have pm'd you. My Fazer is up for sale

Bw

Tim

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 09 January 2015, 10:32:31 am »
Cheers guys, great help.

I'll give this a miss. I was going to swap for my Ducati 750ss here:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/161516513811?ssPageName=STRK:MEUNSOLD:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1560.l2649

But think I'll just service mine and keep an eye out later on.

Sweet little Ducati, I've always wanted a go on one of those. I doubt I'd own one as I need a bike for a 40mile a day commute every day of the year, which my Fazer does. It would make a lovely second bike though.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.