Date: 20-04-24  Time: 11:22 am

Author Topic: Winter equipement.  (Read 1439 times)

youngsterbiker

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Winter equipement.
« on: 13 December 2014, 09:39:25 pm »
Been here a week and already creating hundreds of topics  :o
So a question for all you winter commuters. What are decent winter gloves? I need some for myself and as a present for the little sis.
There seems to be alot of different ones, plus under gloves things....I get confused.
Has anyone got a favourite pair that keep the hands cosy?
Thank you :D

positron

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Winter equipement.
« Reply #1 on: 13 December 2014, 09:52:35 pm »
This is one or those topics where you will get seven recommendations from six bikers.

From my experience, if you are out in the cold 40 mins or over, traditional gloves alone just won't work. If you do a lot of cold riding, I could recommend heated gloves (Gerbings is what I have). The next best would a combination of heated grips + hand guards or heated grips + muffs - muffs being better / warmer / drier but more cumbersome to operate the controls.

If your ride outs / commute are under 30 minutes, it might be worth looking into various goretex winter gloves (Richa  cold protect etc).

Just me 2c worth.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 13 December 2014, 09:55:37 pm »
The best combination to protect your hands from winter cold is a pair of heated grips plus handlebar muffs. Most folks say you can then get away with just using summer gloves. A lot of people (self included) don't like muffs cos they look awful, but if I did have to do a regular winter commute, I'd fit them.

For the amount of winter riding that I do, I find the Spada Enforcer gloves quite good. They're a bit on the thick side, but I find I get used to that the first time I pull them on for the winter. I have heated grips as well, which make quite a difference in combination.

It will also make a difference to keep your body core nice and warm, this will translate somewhat to your hands. Use thin, warm layers, with a windproof layer, all under your bike jacket, making sure of course that you have a good waterproof layer in there somewhere for wet conditions.

Ok, positron beat me to it, but I'll post this anyway cos it pretty much underlines what he said.

chris.biker

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Hornet 600
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 13 December 2014, 10:39:34 pm »
http://www.jtsbikerclothing.com/shop/motorcycle_clothing/motorcycle_gloves/jts_gloves/jts_mitt_waterproof_motorcycle_gloves/black.html

If the link works, these are the gloves I use in the coldest weather, I also have heated grips. The twin finger combination is warmer.

stevierst

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XSR900
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 13 December 2014, 10:52:24 pm »
I'm another one that agrees wholeheartedly with positron about the time frame with gloves, and I've tried a few combinations.

As for the gloves alone choice I've settled on Hein Gericke Gore tex master iv which are very thick and warm, and I can wear them on my R1 for 40-60 minutes without feeling any cold.
My commuter has a pair of Daytona heated grips (not my favourite, but they were cheap) and modified muffs which are by far the toastiest. I've used the grips/muffs through the last 10 winters with summer gloves, and it works for me. And I don't give a stuff what it looks like, my hands are always warm and dry.
Stop polishing it and ride the bloody thing!!

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 14 December 2014, 11:26:41 am »
I have a pair of Rukka winter gloves that are very good, and a pair of keis heated glove liners for when it's really cold or on long journeys.

The heated glove liners are better than heated grips as they keep your whole hand warm (even between the fingers) whereas grips only heat your palms.