Date: 18-04-24  Time: 11:44 am

Author Topic: Luggage width advice  (Read 1209 times)

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
Luggage width advice
« on: 30 January 2012, 03:08:18 pm »
just wanted to know if there is a legal limit to how wide you can have your luggage panniers?

i know general rule is about the same as your mirrors but i have the missus on the back and cant use the seat so have to go out a little wider?
The weight of it all is fine just need to know im not going to get pulled or told off etc?

i'll add pictures in a second post as they wont add properly  :\

Ride It Like You've Stole It

ghostbiker

• Muck Spreader
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - GSX600F Katana
    • View Profile
Re: Luggage width advice
« Reply #1 on: 30 January 2012, 03:13:35 pm »
a google might come up with the answer but i know there is a rule about there has to be a rear light within a set distance of the widest part of the bike, its a rule i became aware of when dabling in trike building years ago.
i doubt it would effect luggage as it was quite wide. there would be a law on if it was fully secured and not unsafe(unsecured/unsafe load)
but i would imagin it would have to be fairly extream to pull attention from the police.

Ton13

• Weekend Warrior
  • Tonie
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - Honda VFR 750
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 30 January 2012, 03:21:03 pm »
ive had a look online and all i can find is that it changes the handling and it affects when filtering? do i take this as i'll be ok?
Ride It Like You've Stole It

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #3 on: 30 January 2012, 09:21:26 pm »
i know general rule is about the same as your mirrors but i have the missus on the back and cant use the seat so have to go out a little wider?

Are you saying your missus has a fat bum?! ;)

The Givi panniers I have on my FZ6 are wider than my mirrors, so I just have to keep that in mind if I try to filter, but unless you've gone for something ridiculous, I doubt you'd have problems.

You could always check the width of a Pan or a Goldwing...