Date: 26-04-24  Time: 10:59 am

Author Topic: Unexpected results flushing brake fluid  (Read 1579 times)

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Unexpected results flushing brake fluid
« on: 24 November 2014, 12:54:45 pm »
Hello good people of Fazer land,

Yesterday for the first time I had a go at flushing out old brake fluid and replacing with new.

All went smoothly with the front-left calliper. I'm using the Mityvac vacuum pump method and so I attach my bleed line to the nipple, use the pump to create a vacuum / negative pressure, open the bleed nipple and watch the old fluid get sucked out to be replaced with new fluid from the reservoir, then close the bleed nipple, check the reservoir hasn't dropped to low, top up the negative pressure with the vacuum pump and repeat.

I flushed through 3 reservoirs of fluid for the left and was pleased to find the brake lever continued to feel nice and firm. All good.

Moved on to the right, same process as above but oddly when I opened the bleed nipple nothing happened. No fluid was drawn out, no air, negative pressure remained constant. I'm sure there is a vacuum because when I remove the bleed line (having closed the nipple) I can hear the rush of air. I wasn't expecting this and so could do with advice on how to proceed please.

Is the bleed nipple faulty?
Can it be replaced without draining the whole system down? It's the first time I've attempted this job and I was hoping to avoid tacking the greater job of a full bleed at this stage.

Or maybe it's just blocked?
Is there some way I can test this, perhaps some way to go about cleaning without causing damage to internals?

Has anyone else experienced this?

As always any pointers, advice or wider discussion welcomed.

Thanks, Andy

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Unexpected results flushing brake fluid
« Reply #1 on: 24 November 2014, 01:04:39 pm »
From what I've had previously:

open the nipple, put some cloth over it and squeeze the lever. I found a little bit of crap shot out and then it worked as it should have!

slappy

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT09
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 24 November 2014, 01:06:22 pm »
Possibly the bleed nipple could be blocked up with crud. Try cleaning the outside with something like wd40, using a pin to clean round the little outlet.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 24 November 2014, 01:42:52 pm »
Okay thanks, good news if it's that simple, will try that today and let you know how I get on.

Andy

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 24 November 2014, 04:25:34 pm »
Yup, followed both of these recommendations and that's sorted it. Thanks very much, all done now.

Andy