Date: 26-04-24  Time: 13:31 pm

Author Topic: Dazzling bicycle lights  (Read 7644 times)

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: Dazzling bicycle lights
« Reply #50 on: 22 November 2014, 12:10:25 am »
Hold on red..... No one has mentioned lorry drivers overtaking each other..... Bain of my life atm.....there u are happily filtering along and some nob of a lorry driver thinks he'll have his buddy.... So he pulls out and try's to av Im but Noooooo he hasn't got the legs... So after causing a tailback of 10 min worth of traffic in a rush hour he finally decides to pull back in and wave u on with a THANKYOU wave like he was doin somethin reasonable .... Foccin arseholes.... And another thing ... Why is it that drivers do the most stupid of manoeuvres and then wave to u nonchalantly as if what they are doing is justifiable or the norm or even EXPECTED...it's like they expect u to be forgiving even tho the drive like idiots... WHILST THEY KNOW EXACTLY WHAT THEY R DOING IS STUPID.... Grrrrrrr....good job I'm a nice chap
Hang on Pete - here's something I agree with you on :rollin

Must be getting soft in my old age :kiss

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: 22 November 2014, 12:21:54 am »
There's a back road route I take occasionally to bypass traffic and at the end of the road there's a kids nursery.
They've obviously been told to put their hazards on whilst parked.
I totally understand the sentiment but all cars look like they're about to pull out on you'cos you can't see the left indicator.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #52 on: 23 November 2014, 01:11:33 am »
you must have a fixed light (constant) by law on a bike

Nope, the flashing ones have been legal on bicycles since (I think) 2004.

Highway Code Paragraph 60

At night your cycle MUST have white front and red rear lights lit. It MUST also be fitted with a red rear reflector (and amber pedal reflectors, if manufactured after 1/10/85). White front reflectors and spoke reflectors will also help you to be seen. Flashing lights are permitted but it is recommended that cyclists who are riding in areas without street lighting use a steady front lamp.
Law RVLR regs 13, 18 & 24

the flashing ones do catch the eye

True, but I do recommend the ones that flash very rapidly rather than the ones with a distinct On-Off-On-Off or, even worse, Flash-Flash-Flash-Off pattern because during the "off" phase it's very easy to lose track of the bicycle since your eye is looking for the flashing light, rather than the cycle it's attached to.

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #53 on: 23 November 2014, 01:14:16 am »
They've obviously been told to put their hazards on whilst parked.
I totally understand the sentiment but all cars look like they're about to pull out on you'cos you can't see the left indicator.

Oh gods! Not the "I'm an idiot" lights!

I've seen people do that in a perfectly legal parking space but when they do it between other vehicles, as you say, you can't tell if it's actually a car about to pull out or just some prat who doesn't know what hazard lights are for (and, here's a hint, putting them on  *DOES NOT* let you park anywhere you damn well like!)

Robbie8666

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph NightStorm
    • View Profile
    • RNVMCC
« Reply #54 on: 24 November 2014, 03:10:19 pm »
I really hate people who drive with the sun blind down in anything other than bright weather, some idiots drive at night that with it down too. No excuse for it, oh and 40 in a 60 annoys me too.

I'm a cyclist and I use the flashing lights but I don't ride during the night so I just use the rear one.
I have my sun visor down all the time including night time!! because I don't need to look at that bit of sky and especially not at night when its dark!!

It ain't what you ride, it's who you ride with!!!

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: 24 November 2014, 04:38:23 pm »
The worst thing I s'pose about dazzling bike lights is that..........their lights are brighter than mine.  :'( :'(
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

griff86

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: 24 November 2014, 05:03:55 pm »

[/quote]
I have my sun visor down all the time including night time!! because I don't need to look at that bit of sky and especially not at night when its dark!!
[/quote]

I don't get it, If you had a solid black sticker across your windscreen the same size as the sun blind the cops would probably say it was illegal.

Each to their own I suppose.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: 26 November 2014, 01:22:39 am »
Finally I'm not alone.  [size=78%] [/size]

Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)