Date: 25-04-24  Time: 12:44 pm

Author Topic: Gen 1 hard to start  (Read 1508 times)

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Gen 1 hard to start
« on: 03 November 2014, 01:20:49 pm »
I hadn't rode my bike much for the last 6 weeks because of my accident, last week the bike had no issues as all starting, today it is colder and it is being a bitch to start cold or hot, I have to give half throttle and the engine spins over quite a few times before it bursts into life, I have ivanised my bike. Earlier in the year I had to remove the carb warming pipes because of a water leak but when the engine is running it has no issues at all, it is smooth with no hick ups at all, one thing I have noticed I haven't heard the fuel pump make a noise for a while, are the pumps prone to fail?

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: Gen 1 hard to start
« Reply #1 on: 04 November 2014, 12:04:02 pm »
Anyone??

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 04 November 2014, 12:41:19 pm »
It sounds what you'd expect. My bike is Ivanised and starts with just a single prod when the weather is warm. But today, which was the first real cold snap it was quite reluctant to do that and needed a bit of choke and a small twist of throttle to start.
 I found that when starting on the choke the engine is happier to idle at 2000rpm for while, if you try to jiggle the idle any lower by easing off the choke it stalls.
My neighbours arn't happy with this but it's neccessary. So they should stop standing around in the cold moaning in their dressing gowns and go back indoors.
« Last Edit: 04 November 2014, 12:48:55 pm by Simon.Pieman »

bigfootpete

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 November 2014, 11:28:43 am »
How's your battery? Mine always took a few attempts to start, but it starts first time with the new battery, seems to work better
If I don't pump the throttle first.

solorider

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 November 2014, 11:29:09 pm »
How's your battery? Mine always took a few attempts to start, but it starts first time with the new battery, seems to work better
If I don't pump the throttle first.
My battery is less than a year old yuasa, it hasn't done it since till today when it was a right pig to start when hot, no issues when cold which I had before.