Date: 20-04-24  Time: 07:02 am

Author Topic: Breakdown cover  (Read 8876 times)

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Breakdown cover
« on: 29 October 2014, 10:36:01 am »
What is everyone doing for breakdown cover?  My FZS600 will be 14 this year so breaks a lot of companies 10 year rule for cover.

Last two year I was with the AA as I got personal cover, plus wife, and homestart for a reasonable cost.  Needless to say this year the renewal price is horrific (£181!).

Bike insurance is due in a couple of weeks so may bundle breakdown in.

Cover I want:
Bike cover for breakdown and recovery.  Mainly for punctures.  Homestart would be good.
Car cover for me and the wife.  Car is 2 years old and still in manufacturer warranty so recovery to garage of my choice would be best.

No need for onward travel and Europe cover.
Most travel is within London.  Some trips down to the South West.

I'm starting to wonder whether to just go without and pay the rate if their is an issue.  And buy a new moto puncture repair kit as a get me home option (I previously bunged a tyre to get me to my local tyre place for a repair)

MEM62

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: Breakdown cover
« Reply #1 on: 29 October 2014, 11:14:00 am »
Add up all the premiums that you have paid for breakdown cover over the years.  If you had put that into a separate fund I bet you would have enough to pay for multiple incidents of roadside assistance and/or recovery.

At the risk of sounding like a hypocrite I do use breakdown cover but only when I am on overseas trips where the cost of recovery in the event of a serious mechanical failure would be considerable but I would not have it for UK the only.

At the moment I don't have any as my 1200RT is still under BMW warranty which includes Europe-wide coverage and that is my touring machine but if the FZS1000 ever went to Europe I would cover it.  On that subject I do feel a bit guilty - I have owned the Fazer for nine years now and never taken it on a Euro-jaunt.  I think it deserves to see some Spanish sunshine.  (My previous touring machine was a '98 VFR800 until my girlfriend started coming with me - hence the change to the RT)

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 October 2014, 11:28:13 am »
I have RAC which covers me, gets me and bike/car home or to where I'm going, costs about £70 a year, not used it in 3 years but I get the basic bike insurance as some breakdown cover is upto 12 miles to nearest garage, then what? so what I save on insurance just about pays for RAC, Just seen on facebook a bloke left his scooter in a layby went a mile to a garage and it was gone when he got back?
Don't know what a rescue on a motorway would cost but you can't get a mate to help, bet you would be looking at around £200?

bigralphie

• 6 Million Dollar Foccer
    Scenic Pisser
    FOC-U Equine Entrepreneur
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - ZZR1400
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 29 October 2014, 01:25:27 pm »
I got euro cover with http://www.startrescue.co.uk/annual-breakdown-cover for my trip in July
I decided to get the full yearly policy when I went away again in Sep , best deal I could find and many positive reviews on the web
Though I have not needed them yet (touch wood)  :lol
Its just a ride

kelly1

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 29 October 2014, 01:41:58 pm »
hi phone theAA and ask them to do a better deal I did and saved £45 still got full cover bike  car   recovery  home start etc etc

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 29 October 2014, 01:54:16 pm »
Over the years I've used breakdown a few times with the fazer.  I've had 4 punctures - they have plugged or trailed me home (One was a somerset to london tow!).  Also I've had homestart a couple of times when the battery went flat through cold / lack of use.  Usually I get more than a quarter of a mile away trying to bump start though!  These days I'd probably take the battery off and charge it rather than bumping though.

Tefer

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • - FZS1000 2003
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 29 October 2014, 05:22:53 pm »
I have breakdown through Swinton bikes, £4.99 a month and three months free at the start of policy. You can upgrade to Euro for £6.99 if you need it. I have called them once, and local company was with me in about an hour to take me home. if you add it all up thats £60 a year but sometimes the peace of mind is nice. I never had it before and nothing has ever really went wrong (touch wood)

Four Wheels Moves The Body... Two Wheels Moves The Soul

peejay

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Triumph Bonneville
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 29 October 2014, 06:21:23 pm »
Alan,
Carole Nash do a 6 wheel insurance to cover car and bike. They also include breakdown cover. If your car and bike insurance are due around the same time, it my be worth giving them a call.

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2014, 06:46:52 pm »
+1 for Carole Nash.May not necessarily be thecheapest BUT  everything is included- worth it for my peace of mind.

dickturpin

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2014, 10:47:36 pm »
I don't bother with homestart....figure if its a problem at home I can sort it with help of internet.
Personal cover for car also includes bike....and don't forget the cashback sites.

Czechbiker

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2014, 11:12:07 pm »
I'm picking up my Fazer 1000 on Saturday and I've put a breakdown cover on my insurance before I get to know my new/old bike.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 29 October 2014, 11:59:18 pm »
Over the years I've used breakdown a few times with the fazer.  I've had 4 punctures - they have plugged or trailed me home (One was a somerset to london tow!).  Also I've had homestart a couple of times when the battery went flat through cold / lack of use.  Usually I get more than a quarter of a mile away trying to bump start though!  These days I'd probably take the battery off and charge it rather than bumping though.
Just invest in an optimiser and leave on charge, much better for the battery all round, likely as not you can get one for about £35.00
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 30 October 2014, 10:40:48 am »
I've got an optimiser - but bike is on the street so can't leave it plugged in.  In time I'll get the bike round the back but at the moment there are 5 steps stopping that!

Last time I tried Caronle Nash 6 wheel policy it was very expensive (My car insurance is £225 F/C, bike last year was £80).  Will give CN a go for the bike renewal though as I've used them before.

Good call on the cashback sites, not used them before but could be a good way to get the price down.

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 30 October 2014, 10:58:13 am »
Usually I get more than a quarter of a mile away trying to bump start though!
:rollin

Make a plank that has blocks that fit the steps so you can take it on and off and ride up, also getting your bike off the street should reduce your insurance
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

Tifa

• ignorant tw*t
  • Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Aprilia Tuono + Hornet 900
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 30 October 2014, 10:58:54 am »
Ring the AA and tell them you're foccing off to the RAC...you'll get a better price.
Ask me how I know  ;)

K

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #15 on: 30 October 2014, 02:23:11 pm »
http://www.motoringassist.com/

A policy and service for YOU GEM breakdown cover is personal. This means you are covered, as a driver or passenger, in any of your vehicles. So you're covered for:

• car breakdown
  • motorcycle breakdown
  • caravan breakdown
  • motorhome and small trailer breakdown
  • Van breakdown (vans are covered as long as the GVW is less than 2500 kgs)
We're also on call if you're driving a hired or borrowed vehicle. We can even help if you fall ill at the wheel. We look after you.

We can cover up to four drivers in your household so you can all be covered, whatever you drive.  We provide the best breakdown cover available on a budget. When you compare our policies with similar ones, you'll find we're up to 48% cheaper.
« Last Edit: 30 October 2014, 02:24:39 pm by karlo »

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 30 October 2014, 08:43:50 pm »
Ring the AA and tell them you're foccing off to the RAC...you'll get a better price.
Ask me how I know  ;)

K

I have this issue every year with the AA. Pay £100 Year 1 then next year get a renewal for £200+.
Solution:
Go online and apply as a new customer and you get the "introductory" price.
Call AA and advise that you will not renew unless you get the "introductory" price quoting your reference number you get online.
This has worked for me for the past 9 years and I have the full AA cover for £110 (last year)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
« Reply #17 on: 31 October 2014, 01:11:31 am »
I get my insurance through Bennetts and RAC Breakdown Plus cover comes in at £64.99 which is cheaper than buying it individually and works out at just over a fiver a month.

Well worth it for peace of mind IMO, even though I've only ever used it twice in seven years.

locksmith

• FOC-U Official Selfish Bastard
    A bit of a cheapskate
    imageJune 09
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-09 :)
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 31 October 2014, 04:01:26 pm »
Ask me how I know  ;)

K

I have this issue every year with the AA. Pay £100 Year 1 then next year get a renewal for £200+.
Solution:
Go online and apply as a new customer and you get the "introductory" price.
Call AA and advise that you will not renew unless you get the "introductory" price quoting your reference number you get online.
This has worked for me for the past 9 years and I have the full AA cover for £110 (last year)

Snap

alan sherman

• FOC-U Pimp Daddy and
    Sick Note
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: 31 October 2014, 04:56:18 pm »
I've just signed up with Carole Nash.  Insurance including breakdown (which is very good) and a free pair of gloves for £125.  My renewal from Bennetts was £100 so compares very favorably.

Can get basic car breakdown for £35 which should do the job as the car is only 2 years old.

Every year I go through this bollox, car, bike and house insurances, servicing and VED all over a 2 month period.  Spend a few hours sorting that pile of  crap out.  It is always a relief when a renewal is a sensible price so I don't have to hunt around for something else with the endless websites and call centres.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: 31 October 2014, 07:14:15 pm »
RAC covers you, not the vehicle. 

Whatever you are driving they will recover you.

Costs me 70 or 80 quid a year.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #21 on: 31 October 2014, 09:16:11 pm »
See what cover you get through your bank. Mine covers the cars so just got personal cover (roadside only) for covering me which covered me on the bike. New bank policy covers the bike too so only have to cover the van separately now.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Andy FZS

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: 01 November 2014, 11:41:34 am »
What bank are you with. Do others have cover with their bank is it any good.
Cheers.