Date: 24-04-24  Time: 17:24 pm

Author Topic: Thoughts on Headlight Bulbs  (Read 14852 times)

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
Thoughts on Headlight Bulbs
« on: 27 October 2014, 09:43:24 pm »
Hi all, been a while but had a lot going on. Decided to go out for a ride yesterday and blew a bulb which was a pain as I didn't have a spare with me so had to find somewhere open on a Sunday evening that had an H7 in stock to get me home.

I've always used the Osram Night Breaker found it to be excellent, although a little disappointed this time as the bulb has blown within 6 months, when I got the FZ6 I put the new bulbs in and the ones I took out the old Fazer were kept as spares so stuck the spare H7 in today. I knew they didn't last as long as normal bulbs but as one side is H7 and the other H4 it's £30 a time although that are pairs but still at least £30 a year, didn't go too much on some of the reviews I read last night either with people blowing the bulbs in a couple of months although it is down to how much you use the bike and this year I've used it a lot more so maybe that explains it.

Anyway I was wondering if I should keep paying out for the Osrams or go for some cheaper ones that are long life, only listed the H7 I would of course buy the H4's as well but Twenty20 have a bulb with a 4 Year Guanrantee and Osram have one with a 3 Year Guarantee.

Just wonder what peoples thoughts where on the bulbs they use in regards to performance and price and if anyone had used Twenty20 before, these are rough prices as I buy from different places normally.

Thanks for any input. 

Current Bulbs

H7 OSRAM Night Breaker Unlimited +110% Upgrade Xenon Headlight Bulbs

3000 Kelvin

I brought the last lot on Amazon for £14.95 (pair)

No Guarantee (500-800 hours)

Maximum Brightness

H7 Twenty20 Daylight Upgrade Headlight Bulbs +100%       

3200 Kelvin

£16.20 (pair)

2 year Guarantee (400-500 hours)

Long Life Bulbs

H7 Twenty20 Endurance Headlight Bulbs

3200 Kelvin

£6.20

4 Year Guanrantee (2000 hours)

H7 Osram Ultra Life 12V 55W Bulb

2000 Kelvin

£7.50

3 Year Guarantee (3000 hours)

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
Re: Thoughts on Headlight Bulbs
« Reply #1 on: 27 October 2014, 09:45:36 pm »
 :think
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 27 October 2014, 09:48:18 pm »
Been down that road of trying cheaper bulbs, failed miserably.
Most state they do this and that but they're normally shite, stick to what you know.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 27 October 2014, 10:01:21 pm »
I did actually notice a massive difference in brightness and how far a could see with a £3.99 dipped beam fitted and a Osram Nightbreaker highbeam, It did have Philips H7 when I got the bike and that is just as bright but for some reason seem to have rubbish reviews online lol

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 27 October 2014, 11:55:17 pm »
In 8 years and 38,000 miles I have only replaced the rear bulb. but don't ride in the dark, ok I know the lights are on all the time but not switching between main and dip? the lights must have been on around a 1000 hours so must be getting close to their lifespan?
The H7 that I used in my last car were lucky to last a couple of years but I was using cheap ones.

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 28 October 2014, 10:04:58 am »
I have had the Osrams fitted to both bikes and ride 365 with the lights on all the time. Not had one blown yet so reckon you were just unlucky fella. Stick with them, far better than normal bulbs......
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 28 October 2014, 02:57:41 pm »
Thanks for the replies, looking at the prices think I am going to stick to the Osram as I do a lot of night riding and had recent incidents such as foxes and a stag in the middle of the road and the Nightbreakers do give a lot more light out and much whiter. Thinking about it I pay roughly £15 for a pair of Osram H7 and same again for the H4 but I buy them off places like Amazon as a car kit so get two of each. The long life seem like a good idea but would be paying anywhere between £6 and £10 for a single bulb actually works out more expensive so think I will just order another H7 car kit.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 28 October 2014, 07:32:03 pm »
Another +1 for the Osram bulbs - been using them in both the 600 and the thou. Can't report too much with the 600 as they haven't been in long / the 600 hasn't been out much, but the bulbs are going strong in the thou and I use it for commuting now so its getting daily runs to and from the office

Devic

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 November 2014, 09:57:23 pm »
Been looking at the Osram and decided to stick with them, they got the newer version now I'm using Osram Nightbreaker Plus but going for the newer Osram Nightbreaker Ultimate with slightly higher specs but same price.

Autobulbs

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 10 November 2014, 03:52:16 pm »
Ninja'd  :)

Glad you came to a decision,

We just got the Twenty20 range in recently and had the same worries about "cheap bulbs" but after testing them, they were brilliant (some of us even have them). Impressively they do have a 2 year guarantee (One year longer than Osram and Philips) on the Twenty20 Daylight & Hybrid bulbs,
but all in all no complaints so far  :)

-Rowen

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 10 November 2014, 07:11:52 pm »
I've been using philips x-treme lamps in bike and car for years.
I've had the car 9 years now and the bike coming on 11.
Stuck philips lamps in both car and bike not long after I bought them.  All H4's.

I think over what roughly the last ten years I've had two fails.  I think that's not bad. 

Bear in mind that when you fit them do not touch the glass part of the lamp.  Perhaps wear surgical or nitrile  gloves to make sure.  If you do touch the glass with your bear fingers they will quite likely fail prematurely.

So option 5 - fit philips?  http://www.amazon.co.uk/Philips-12972-XVS2-X-Treme-Vision-Bulbs/dp/B00440CWCG

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 10 November 2014, 08:18:52 pm »
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/bulbs/halfords-super-brilliance-blue-hbu477sbb-h7-car-bulb-x-1

£19.99 and a BOGOF Been using these in the car for years and will be getting some for the bike...not a fan of Halfrauds and wouldn't be surprised to hear they get them made by someone else for next to nothing...but they have done the job admirably
The Frying Scotsman

flesh

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT10
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 10 November 2014, 09:19:31 pm »
http://www.halfords.com/motoring/bulbs-wiper-blades-batteries/bulbs/halfords-super-brilliance-blue-hbu477sbb-h7-car-bulb-x-1

£19.99 and a BOGOF Been using these in the car for years and will be getting some for the bike...not a fan of Halfrauds and wouldn't be surprised to hear they get them made by someone else for next to nothing...but they have done the job admirably

+1

Used Halfrauds bulbs for years and they are great.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 10 November 2014, 09:54:54 pm »
1 Halfords 50% brighter lamp for 20 quid, or two Philips 100% brighter for 21.60?

I know what I'd choose.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 10 November 2014, 10:55:38 pm »
Thoughts on Headlight Bulbs.

Don't stare directly into them.

BIG MAC

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 11 November 2014, 07:02:43 am »
1 Halfords 50% brighter lamp for 20 quid, or two Philips 100% brighter for 21.60?

I know what I'd choose.

These things are all relative, how effective the lamp actually is in use which matters. If a standard lamp provides shit light at 100 feet and and uber lamp provides shit light at 100ft, 150ft and 200ft whereas a Halfrauds provides good light and longevity at 150ft....You pays your money and you quite rightly know what you would choose...it doesn't necessarily follow that the rest of humanity will.
The Frying Scotsman

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 11 November 2014, 07:24:50 pm »

My Philips extreme are apparently winners in the H7 sector, but just also rans along with the Halfords branded lamps in the H4 sector.  All my lamps are H4 :'(   However I can tell you they are still way better then standard lamps and they burn for years on end.

Auto express says the best you can get are Osram Night Breaker Plus followed by RING Xenon Ultima

Check the menu on the left for each lamp review - http://www.autoexpress.co.uk/car-maintenance/60969/headlight-bulbs-tested

A pair of those top Osram lamps comes in at just over 17 quid on Amazon, the RING ones about the same price.  So 8.50 each.

But at 20 quid each, Halfords are having a laugh.

BIG MAC

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 12 November 2014, 06:58:58 am »
Osram Night Breaker Plus 64210NBP H7 12V 55W Twin Pack of Headlight Bulbs - Discontinued by Manufacturer according to Amazon.
Meantime I have a Halfords 3 minutes away
The Frying Scotsman

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 12 November 2014, 07:51:49 pm »
Osram Night Breaker Plus 64210NBP H7 12V 55W Twin Pack of Headlight Bulbs - Discontinued by Manufacturer according to Amazon.

That might be because there are new Osram products on the way, such as the Silverstar 2.

Perhaps they are discontinued, but it's still in stock on Amazon and everywhere else and at about 17 quid for a pair.  A steal.

Just over 12 quid for a pair of H4's!!  Think I'll garb a pair myself.  Cheap as chips.

karlo

• WSB Pack Hound
  • By Fazer I Fly!
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Swadlincote, S.Derbys
    • View Profile
    • UK Bikers
« Reply #19 on: 17 November 2014, 01:03:05 pm »
Ninja'd  :)

Glad you came to a decision,

We just got the Twenty20 range in recently and had the same worries about "cheap bulbs" but after testing them, they were brilliant (some of us even have them). Impressively they do have a 2 year guarantee (One year longer than Osram and Philips) on the Twenty20 Daylight & Hybrid bulbs,
but all in all no complaints so far  :)

-Rowen

Had nightbreakers in as dipbeam bulbs which don't seem to last long in the wife's motor so I just fitted a set of these H7 Twenty20 Daylight Upgrade Headlight Bulbs in it, they are not as good as nightbreakers, they produce a more yellow light and don't define the road so well as the nightbreakers so the vision isn't as good.

It has night breakers in the main beam so you can see the colour difference when switching between the 2, will see how long they last but don't think I'll be getting another set