Date: 18-04-24  Time: 16:37 pm

Author Topic: Rockin' Out!  (Read 1465 times)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Rockin' Out!
« on: 25 October 2014, 06:25:05 pm »
Any fans of 70s/80s heavy rock here? Always been into that stuff, and still have all the music I used to listen to back then. But I've also been discovering for myself a load of contemporary bands that fit the same mould pretty much, and wondered if anyone else has any similar suggestions of newer bands to try, as it's always nice to inject a little fresh material into the playlist. Here's a few I'm into of late:

Tracer, Black Stone Cherry, The Answer, Bonafide, Little Caesar, Black Country Communion, Black Star Riders, Hogjaw, Rival Sons, The Temperance Movement. Quite a few American bands in there, which seems to me to be one thing that has changed since the earlier days of the genre.

Maybe you've stuck with this kind of music throughout, but I drifted off to blues and blues/rock after stuff got too thrashy/screamy for me at the end of the 80s/early 90s (can't stand death metal), so it's been kind of like a reintroduction for me in the last couple of years. Great to see this kind of music is very prevalent these days  :)

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
Re: Rockin' Out!
« Reply #1 on: 25 October 2014, 07:02:52 pm »
If you like AC/DC,check out Big Num.Think the lead guitarist even plays an SG.Used to be well into that sort of music.Went to loads of gigs all over in the late 80's/early 90's.Saw Guns n' roses 3 times.Best gig was Donington M.O.R '91 tho.AC/DC headlining with Metallica,Motley Crue + others supporting.When I look at the list for Donington now (they call it download now don't they) I don't recognise hardly any of the bands!.Still go to see Motorhead when they come into town.
« Last Edit: 25 October 2014, 07:08:29 pm by YamFazFan »

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 October 2014, 07:13:21 pm »
Yeah, AC/DC were my favourite when I was a lad, still love em. Saw them on the Back In Black tour at the Apollo Victoria, mind-blowingly loud! Guns n Roses I saw at their first UK Hammersmith gig, on the Appetite tour. Saw Deep Purple (come back) at Knebworth with Scorpions too. I think I'll have to check out who's playing in Oxford over the winter, now I'm using the bike less. Shepherd's Pie at Fat Lil's in Witney tonight; good rock covers band, but I've been told they do too much Iron Maiden stuff lately - I'll check em out, and if no good, there's a good blues band playing at another pub just down the road. Prefer some good heavy rock though!

Big Num - ok, I'll have a look. For that AC/DC sound, Airbourne are excellent, but I'm not overly keen on the vocalist.

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 October 2014, 07:28:45 pm »
Back in Black..what a great album..like 'Appetite' there is not a bad track on it is there :).Yep I have heard Airbourne & they are very much in the AC/DC sound.I saw Iron Maiden at Donington 92',but was never really into them,didn't much like Bruce Dickinsons vocals.He is back with them now isn't he.The best AC/DC tribute band I have seen is 'Livewire'.They had a Bon Scott era singer & a Brian Johnson era singer come on after the mid gig break!.Brilliant group.

Fazafou

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2014, 07:37:45 pm »

Best gig was Donington M.O.R '91 tho.AC/DC headlining with Metallica,Motley Crue + others supporting.

Yeah I was there for that too, cracking day that was. Wish I still had the t-shirt, it was the anniversary one as I recall.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2014, 07:51:21 pm »
Saw Whole Lotta DC at Fat Lil's; Brian Johnson replica ( :lol), excellent. Did the whole Angus Young on his shoulders bit round the audience, and my ears were ringing for several days after.

Always preferred Paul D'Ianno with Maiden, and likewise, pretty much lost interest after Dickinson replaced him. I used to go to a rock disco on a Saturday night at the Ruskin Arms where they started out. On the first album, you'll see the Ruskin sign over a pub on the album cover art. But it was on a corner, not in a row.

I want to see some of these newer bands if I can though. I know Tracer have played Oxford before, and they've just released a new album, so might be due again soon. I'm told Black Star Rider are Thin Lizzy in their latest reincarnation; they still use the twin guitars playing fourths style, some of the tunes have an Irish influence and the current vocalist even sounds quite a bit like Phil Lynott. They're recording a new one now, and Black Stone Cherry have just released a new album too, so could be a good winter music-wise. Haven't been to see anything for ages now, not even locally, as I've been too occupied with Fazering through the summer  :lol

YamFazFan

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 25 October 2014, 08:03:26 pm »

Best gig was Donington M.O.R '91 tho.AC/DC headlining with Metallica,Motley Crue + others supporting.

Yeah I was there for that too, cracking day that was. Wish I still had the t-shirt, it was the anniversary one as I recall.

I never used to buy the T-shirts,still got the programme & me ticket tho!..
« Last Edit: 14 November 2020, 07:26:52 pm by YamFazFan »

Punkstig

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 25 October 2014, 11:15:26 pm »
Hayseed dixie are the best ac/Dc cover band everer!
Some say...

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 October 2014, 12:39:58 am »
Hayseed dixie are the best ac/Dc cover band everer!

Ya fkn hick!

Actually, I like a bit of bluegrass too, so I oughta check em out sometime.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 October 2014, 12:58:43 am »
right then. local band shepherd's pie. very good. good covers of: black Sabbath, war pigs. whitesnake, still of the night. ac/dc, whole lotta rosie ( :rolleyes), highway to hell ( :rolleyes :rolleyes), you shook me, and very good cover of hells bells ( :) ). scorpions...erm..can't remember, but it was good. others. g 'n' r, one from the lies ep/album, one of the live ones, very good. Guy's a bit Dickinson in delivery, but not bad for all that.

Why don't any rock covers bands do Motorhead? Over the Top would be on my set list if I was doing this kind of band. Or No Class, or something else from the Overkill album. And no Rush either. You never hear em cover an early Rush tune.

fireblake

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 29 October 2014, 09:49:31 am »
I hated all this type of music as a teenager. Absolutely hated it. I was into Punk, new wave, Mod revival, Northern Soul, Ska, Rude, Soul boy and then New Romantic. As I've matured I now love all music that is played well, we'll except Slip knot and the like.

Mickey
Sent from my villa in the South of France.

bri h

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 October 2014, 02:59:24 am »
My missus got me the temperance movement cd yesterday and it seems good.
a bird in the hand poops on the wrist