Date: 18-04-24  Time: 16:36 pm

Author Topic: Fazer thou Gen 1 - questions  (Read 3787 times)

ricknz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Fazer thou Gen 1 - questions
« on: 22 October 2014, 09:12:42 am »

Gen 1 owner here from NZ, had it shipped over from a mate in the UK... he may even be a member here...

Anyhow I've noticed that when I start her up in the morning its a little difficult... there is a slight pause when I press the button, and although it starts pretty much immediately its very "lumpy" and I have to either very gently start increasing the revs to make the engine run clean, or let it die, put on full choke and try again. I'm so used to my bikes starting first pop, and cleanly. Its never very cold here so full choke seems a bit unnecessary.

Also, over the past few days (I don't ride it as much as I'd like) I've noticed that immediately on startup there is a faint squeak that disappears within 0.5s or so... anything I should worry about?

I'm planning on servicing the bike very soon in time for summer months... oil, filter, coolant, bleed brakes, sync carbs, TPS, plugs etc. so maybe this will help.

Any advice appreciated - thanks!
« Last Edit: 22 October 2014, 09:14:19 am by ricknz »

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
Re: Fazer thou Gen 1 - questions
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2014, 09:27:07 am »
Could be blocked pilot jets causing difficult starting. Squeaking could be exup valve or servo.

Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

ricknz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2014, 10:03:38 am »
Yeah I've done some reading and just checked Mr Haynes... will inspect carbs when I remove them.

I greased/inspected the exup value around 6 months ago but the bike has seen little use since... i noticed at the time that the pulley was damaged so I have a spare one (+spring, washers etc.) ready to go when I do some service work.

Thanks for the info.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2014, 11:14:21 am »
Before you go stripping things down looking for a problem...
The Fazer doesn't start first go for most people. It is normal to need a little choke and/or a touch of throttle.

As for the squeak,  that could be any one of quite a few things. I would suggest you wait a moment between turning on the ignition and pressing the button to allow time for various self tests to complete. (Fuel pump priming, exup valve check and so on.) If you still hear something going on, try and pin down at least what part of the bike it is coming from. Front below tank - exup servo, under seat - fuel pump,  down low, exup valve. 

ricknz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 25 October 2014, 12:33:34 am »
It's definitely the exup valve, I'll service it when I replace the pulley.

I'm looking into installing an Ivan kit... It's very lumpy around 3k and vibrations around 4.5k and I've heard installing the Ivan kit smoothes this out and increases power. Is it worth purchasing an overhaul kit in addition to the Ivan kit? I figure the seals etc have never been replaced and its 12 years old now (mileage is only 17k).

Any decent stockists in the UK where I can get both kits at the same time?

I already had an after market end can, Remus revolution.

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 25 October 2014, 10:29:46 pm »
My thou never starts as well as the 600 .always runs lumpy for a few seconds, but no big deal!

ricknz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 October 2014, 04:51:08 am »
I've found SG Motorsport... 110GBP but I've seen it on Ivan's website for 120USD which is a lot cheaper... does anyone know if its possible to buy direct from Ivan's website?

Falcon 269

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Yamaha R1 1999
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 October 2014, 06:57:59 am »
Ivan doesn't do online sales, as far as I recall.

Call his shop in New York and ask them how much to ship to NZ.  Don't forget to add in any import tax that might be levied by your customs people, though.

ricknz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 29 October 2014, 11:45:02 am »
no customs tax unless its >400NZD so all good there...

just suprises me why the kit appears to be ~20% more expensive in the UK c.f. USA even with the 20% VAT removed!

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 29 October 2014, 01:39:30 pm »
just suprises me why the kit appears to be ~20% more expensive in the UK c.f. USA even with the 20% VAT removed!

that's because we have to pay ~20% import duties as well as VAT.

ricknz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 30 October 2014, 07:18:59 am »
Ahhh I think you may have hit the nail on the head  :lol

ricknz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 30 October 2014, 10:54:07 am »
Spent a lot of time tonight reading up on factory pro vs. ivans kit for the gen1... read lots of interesting forum posts!

What are peoples thoughts here? I don't mind drilling holes in my carbs for performance/smoothness gains as-per Ivans, but if that can be attained with the factory pro without drilling, that seems appealing to me...

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 31 October 2014, 09:24:17 am »
Until your post I wasn't aware of the Factory Pro kit, I knew about the Holeshot kit and of course Ivan's. I did a bit of reading on the other forum and came to the conclusion that whatever kit you fit will address the main fueling issues and you will most likely be happy with the results. I remember on one post someone saying that Ivan was seeking fueling perfection which is why his kit is a bit more drastic in terms of carb modification, implying that the other kits although beneficial may not give as good results, however that was one persons opinion and not backed up with any substantive proof.

Most if not all of us on these Forums will be using Ivan's kit primarily because we are fortunate enough to have Mikes services to supply and fit these kits for us. Everyone he has provided the service for has been incredibly happy with the results, as have those that have fitted their own, so there seems little point in exploring the alternatives and as such they are pretty much unknown entities here.

I would also be nervous about drilling holes in my carbs but there are some good instructions out there and Mike is usualy available to advise those who want to fit their own Ivan's kits.

ricknz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 November 2014, 08:01:07 am »
Thanks for the info pie eater  :D

I've actually ordered the Ivans kit now from the UK, should be arriving soon with a new OEM air filter, carb gasket kits plus lots of other goodies. KTech springs should arrive soon also, and umming and arring about fitting their piston kit...

I need to source some simoniz aluminium engine enamel paint also... I can get it in the UK but posting it in an issue... going to get in touch with simoniz uk to search for a NZ stockist. There is some peeling I need to address.

Minty

• DAS Born Again
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • - TTR-250
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 18 November 2014, 09:25:22 pm »
I used to get a squeak from the fuel pump before starting, when it'd been in the garage for a week or two.

Starting always needed a good bit of throttle on mine, often 2nd go due to me been scared of flooding it, old habits die hard!

ricknz

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 November 2014, 06:54:15 am »
Maybe I should start a new thread... but I'll just continue here!

Bike well stripped down now and work is starting... carbs out (that was a pain) and starting to strip them down to clean up, fit Ivans kit and new seals. I'm tempted to split them to clean them individually... would anyone recommend not to do that? Is it difficult to put them back together? Looks fairly simple...