Date: 29-03-24  Time: 00:24 am

Author Topic: Touring in France beware.  (Read 1814 times)

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
Touring in France beware.
« on: 22 October 2014, 09:09:53 am »
Just a heads up , someone may have posted something similar before. I travel up through France a few times a year to Bordeaux(family) . I have noticed it more recently if you buy fuel for the car/bike and pay by card at the pump even though your fuel bill comes to say € 22.50 they will debit your account by up to €100/150.00. Okay after about a week they refund the difference. Make sure you keep your receipts. Surely this practice is not legal?

I am aware this happens in some places but seems to be coming more wide spread. Just think especially on the bike you are filling up every 150/200 miles it will not take long to perhaps hit your agreed credit limit.

Pay cash were ever possible but if you cannot ALWAYS KEEP YOUR RECEIPTS.
Lew
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: Touring in France beware.
« Reply #1 on: 22 October 2014, 09:14:18 am »
:agree

On Sundays, pay at pump can be all that is available in areas off the motorway. Not all UK cards work in them either.

Avoid the pay at pump unless you can avoid it in France.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

Frosties

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tiger 900, CBF 1000,Bandit 650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 October 2014, 09:26:40 am »

On Sundays, pay at pump can be all that is available in areas off the motorway. Not all UK cards work in them either.

Avoid the pay at pump unless you can avoid it in France.

Well that's that cleared up BB, thanks.  :lol
Those are my principles...if you don't like them I have others.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 22 October 2014, 10:19:01 am »
It's standard practice with pay at the pump in this country too. When you see the bit that says "begin fuelling, max spend, £99" - that's because they've authorised (not debited) £99,and then the correct amount is debited afterwards. And there's usually a stick on notice that says, if you use a particular card type (can't remember which one) , they recommend you fill up with at least £20, as that card type doesn't release the authorised funds straight away.

That's what happening in France, but with the added complexity of it being a cross border / currency transaction.

andybesy

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 October 2014, 11:32:48 am »
Yeah when you submit a card transaction you can do one of three types:

1) PAYMENT - Takes the money there and then
2) DEFERRED - Also known as SHADOW, reserves the money on your account for some period of time
3) AUTHORIZE - Checks the amount is available at that point in time but doesn't take payment or reserve funds

If not promptly either PAID or CANCELLED by the merchant then deferred transactions can hang around on your account for some time. It IS reserved, you can't spend it while it remains. Typical use is ordering on-line from a merchant who doesn't hold stock and doesn't want to take payment until goods are shipped, but does want to make sure funds are reserved for them.

But I wasn't aware the pumps used these, is that just foreign transactions or UK pumps too? Is it definitely DEFERRED not just AUTHENTICATE?

I can see how with regular fill-ups and a small tank compared to the £100 reserved that could quickly max out a card's "available funds".

Andy
« Last Edit: 22 October 2014, 11:34:08 am by andybesy »

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 October 2014, 02:08:15 pm »
It's standard practice with pay at the pump in this country too. When you see the bit that says "begin fuelling, max spend, £99" - that's because they've authorised (not debited) £99,and then the correct amount is debited afterwards. And there's usually a stick on notice that says, if you use a particular card type (can't remember which one) , they recommend you fill up with at least £20, as that card type doesn't release the authorised funds straight away.

That's what happening in France, but with the added complexity of it being a cross border / currency transaction.

The point I am making is that they do take the €100.00 from your account, personal expeirence here it has happened on at least 3 occasions to me. They do refund the difference in about a week. I am not talking a small retailer either. It is the likes of Inter Marche, Le Clerc , also had it with the Esso automatic stations, I am using a Euro bank card and not a Sterling card, that is even a bigger rip off. Using a UK card, the robbing gits charge you £2.50?£1.50 for using your own money then on top of that they charge a foreign transaction fee, also they likely as not do the £>€ exchange rate at a not so competitive rate.

richfzs

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 October 2014, 02:16:01 pm »
Ah, was forgetting you live in Spain. Dunno what Spanish cards used in France would do. I've never seen that with a UK card - would be complaining if I did!

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #7 on: 22 October 2014, 03:43:39 pm »

I forgot too. That will be your Spanish bank taking money away from you so you have to pay them interest or they don't have to pay you interest whilst they make some for themselves. :pokefun
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 October 2014, 08:46:27 pm »

I forgot too. That will be your Spanish bank taking money away from you so you have to pay them interest or they don't have to pay you interest whilst they make some for themselves. :pokefun

Nah, it is them robbing french twats, that country is more fucked up and when the rest of europe and the world realise how skint they, well watch the shit hit the fan then lol :pokefun

BIG MAC

• Thinks custom titles are stupid!
  • GP Hero
  • New site same sh1te ;-)
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - FZ1 Fazer, FZS600
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 22 October 2014, 10:18:35 pm »
France is economically screwed until it sorts out the 35hr week, 2hr lunch and striking at the drop of a baguette. It's still ten times better to live in than this shit hole
The Frying Scotsman

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 22 October 2014, 11:32:10 pm »
France is economically screwed until it sorts out the 35hr week, 2hr lunch and striking at the drop of a baguette. It's still ten times better to live in than this shit hole

Sorry BIG Mac lived there for 7 years, close I will give you that, but think the UK edges France . Just do a google search and see how many french young folk are leaving, and actually making the UK home. The 35 hour week maybe some, my lad averages a 60 hour week and does not get paid overtime. He is told if he is not happy they will soon get someone to take his place.

Spain is pretty fucked as well but at least the sun shines here most days and the cost of living is a lot cheaper than the UK & France.