Date: 20-04-24  Time: 04:37 am

Author Topic: Balance weights  (Read 1938 times)

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
Balance weights
« on: 16 October 2014, 09:56:34 pm »
Checking tyre pressures today I found the weights have fallen off the rear wheel. i've not noticed any effect on handling during my commute. Is it worth taking wheel in to be rebalanced?
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Grahamm

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 04-06
    • View Profile
    • Affordable Leather Products
Re: Balance weights
« Reply #1 on: 16 October 2014, 10:12:12 pm »
How much would a quick check for balance cost?

How much would it cost if it suddenly started to wobble at speed and you dropped it...?

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 16 October 2014, 10:27:56 pm »
Its not that important on the rear wheel, if you've less than half the tread left leave it till next new tyre, it can go out of balance as it wears down anyway but how many have there tyres rebalanced? if you're riding close to the limits then it could be worth while. up to you?

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 16 October 2014, 10:35:26 pm »
How much would a quick check for balance cost?

How much would it cost if it suddenly started to wobble at speed and you dropped it...?

I don't think there is a need to be alarmist, this is not a serious problem. A front wheel out of balance might cause consternation at moderate speeds and perhaps roadholding issues at higher speed but the rear is far less critical when it comes to balance and certainly won't cause you to drop it, the effect isn't that dramatic.
 Best thing to do is take the wheel out, put the axle back through and set it up on two axle stands and balance it yourself, there are lots of 'how to' vids on Youtube, it's easy, a 15 minute job. You don't even really need the proper weights, I hacksaw old fishing weights up and bash them flat with a hammer and fix then to the wheel with ductape.
There is something nicely therapeutic about balancing a wheel, do try it.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 16 October 2014, 11:51:27 pm »
Ooo what a good idea, does Ducktape work well then
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 17 October 2014, 09:30:06 am »
Ooo what a good idea, does Ducktape work well then

I've never had any fall off, in fact it is an effort to remove.

tony_d123

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 17 October 2014, 03:16:19 pm »
You don't even really need the proper weights, I hacksaw old fishing weights up and bash them flat with a hammer and fix then to the wheel with ductape.
There is something nicely therapeutic about balancing a wheel, do try it.

Shouldn't that be in the tightwads thread :)

They are cheap enough on eBay.
« Last Edit: 17 October 2014, 03:16:58 pm by tony_d123 »

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 17 October 2014, 04:00:22 pm »

They are cheap enough on eBay.

Mine don't fall off.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 17 October 2014, 07:43:11 pm »
I've run a couple of rears unbalanced and you don't notice any difference.  It is probably best practise to balance me though.
With a front you will notice if it's badly out.

So, personally, I'd just run it till the tyres done.

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 17 October 2014, 09:19:00 pm »
 "Its not that important to balance the rear wheel"  is a very common misconception.  :rolleyes

Balancing the wheel/tyre does 2 things

Reduce vibration which increases grip levels
Reduce tyre wear over the life of the tyre.

An unbalanced wheel/tyre will cause  vibration and can effect grip especially on wet/damp surface and the faster you go the worse it gets, the tyre also wears faster as the heavest part of the tyre will wear faster as it tries to bring the Wheel/tyre closer to balance.

Look at the wear on an unbalanced tyre which would require 30 or more grams to balance it, part will be worn completely while the rest will be well within the wear limit.
I have seen tyres worn to 1mm of thread at one point and have 4mm left on the rest.

I have always balanced both front and rear on any bike capable of more than 50 MPH

If you lose more than 5 grams, then you should rebalance the wheel/tyre.

Prior to balancing and changing my own bike tyres I always insisted that front and rear were balanced and any knowledgeable tyre fitter will do it without question.

Many times I had to insist that fitters balance the front and rear wheels/tyres of my car also. The garage I now go to for car tyres, change the valves, balances all wheel/tyres and uses a torque wrench to tighten the nuts on the alloy wheels. :thumbup

Simon.Pieman

• Club Racer
  • Life of Pie
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 17 October 2014, 11:59:22 pm »
"Its not that important to balance the rear wheel"  is a very common misconception.  :rolleyes

Balancing the wheel/tyre does 2 things

Reduce vibration which increases grip levels
Reduce tyre wear over the life of the tyre.

An unbalanced wheel/tyre will cause  vibration and can effect grip especially on wet/damp surface and the faster you go the worse it gets, the tyre also wears faster as the heavest part of the tyre will wear faster as it tries to bring the Wheel/tyre closer to balance.

Look at the wear on an unbalanced tyre which would require 30 or more grams to balance it, part will be worn completely while the rest will be well within the wear limit.
I have seen tyres worn to 1mm of thread at one point and have 4mm left on the rest.

I have always balanced both front and rear on any bike capable of more than 50 MPH

If you lose more than 5 grams, then you should rebalance the wheel/tyre.

Prior to balancing and changing my own bike tyres I always insisted that front and rear were balanced and any knowledgeable tyre fitter will do it without question.

Many times I had to insist that fitters balance the front and rear wheels/tyres of my car also. The garage I now go to for car tyres, change the valves, balances all wheel/tyres and uses a torque wrench to tighten the nuts on the alloy wheels. :thumbup

Rubbish. Where did you cut and paste this nonsense from?

« Last Edit: 17 October 2014, 11:59:58 pm by Simon.Pieman »