Date: 28-03-24  Time: 21:35 pm

Author Topic: bike cover  (Read 1757 times)

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
bike cover
« on: 17 October 2014, 06:21:14 pm »
ive been planning on getting a 'lean to' built to cover the bike from the worse of the forthcoming weather,but the fella who was going to help me build it is flat out with work so is struggling to spare me a few hours,so ive just had a shufty on the WWW and found this,anyone have one? the beuty is,you can rawplug it to the ground as the wind last winter took the flimsy cover id brought right off the bike.ive brought a OXFORD STORM cover,but it still lets a bit of water in if its pissing down,so i'll use the cover and this together. and if ever i move i can take it with me.

lew600fazer

• GP Hero
  • There is only one form of racing, road racing.
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - 2017 MT-09 Tracer ABS
    • View Profile
Re: bike cover
« Reply #1 on: 17 October 2014, 07:25:28 pm »
Has it got a breathable membrane? so you get air circulation, if it has not possible that condensation will be a problem. Just my opinion.
Lew.
MT-09 Tracer for those who no longer can handle a BIG boy Fazer

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 17 October 2014, 09:36:13 pm »
Has it got a breathable membrane? so you get air circulation, if it has not possible that condensation will be a problem. Just my opinion.
Lew.

condensation is my concern,just re read the spec on the web site,it has ventilation holes that can be velcroed together when needed.
to be honest,id leave it up unless i knew it was going to hose it down,then id put the cover down-i tend to watch the forcast daily as i need to know the weather because of my job.
thanks for your comment Lew  :thumbup

Lampwick

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 18 October 2014, 09:21:29 am »
Had one of these style covers for about 8 years, yes you will get some condensation in it, even with the flaps open. Still a far better option than standard covers. Mine is in a sheltered spot, so if your exposed to any wind make sure you lock down the front.

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 18 October 2014, 10:14:16 am »
My dad used to have one, very good, his didn't ever suffer with condensation but was on an uneven drive so a few air gaps at the bottom helped I guess.
Only problem he had was the material fell apart after about 5 years.

pilgo

• Club Racer
  • wyrd bio ful araed
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT 09 TRACER
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 18 October 2014, 06:48:43 pm »
thanks for the replys,
im tempted to make a |_| shaped base from railway sleepers and bolt the thing on top of them,gives a bit of air venting from the front,but the downside would be when its blowing a gale would the wind get under the front and cause problems-it can get a bit 'breezy' out in my yard,and it has to go in in only one direction due to space constrants (its a shared yard)?
ironicaly,matey gave me the quote today to build the original 'lean to' i had planned,and if i included the sleepers into the cover idea,the costs are about the same.
nothings ever easy is it ?!!

tomjimtom

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 20 October 2014, 06:46:52 pm »
I should add, he had an fjr and the design of the cover meant the front wheel went over a metal plate welded to both sides - Nothing's going to blow away if it's got an fjr parked on it!