Date: 19-03-24  Time: 02:59 am

Author Topic: Up them mountains!!!  (Read 16501 times)

Rikki

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
Re: Up them mountains!!!
« Reply #25 on: 05 October 2014, 09:48:45 pm »
I was half expecting to see a football match at the top of Scafell Pike! Not sure if I'll be going back there now it's been ticked off the list, as there are too many others to see first. I've hardly done any of the ones on Nick's list.

Won't be rushing back to the Highlands any time soon either. I went on a camping trip there in the late 90's. I say camping but it was more like SAS survival training. Imagine trying to bash tent pegs into solid rock, while someone blasts you in the face with a pressure washer. I much prefer to get a tan in the hills!

By the way next time anyone passes through Buttermere, be sure to stop for a beer at the Fish Inn. Best pint in the land IMO. Goes down nicely after a days climbing!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: 05 October 2014, 10:50:47 pm »
Was up Scafell Pike some time in the mid 90's
Hardly saw anybody on the way up, but yup it was busy on the summit.

Been far too warm for my liking in Scotland this summer Rikki.

Walked Beinn a'Chroin and An Caisteal last year near Crianlarich, didn't see a single person, just a Raven that followed me for several hours.  They can get quiet curious when you are by yourself.  I was worried it was waiting for me to slip and fall on the wee scramble between the two hills. 

A wee selfie on An Caisteal,

There's loads of walking where you won't see a sole all day in Scotland.
Lots of good wee hills too.
This is Eabhal on North Uist, only just over 1100 feet I think, but what a view.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tuono RSV, YZF 1000, CBF 125
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #27 on: 06 October 2014, 01:49:43 am »
Ha, I don't tan anyway! I lived in Australia in my early 20's. Came back as white as the screen in front of you now  :lol . Although, that was still a few shades up the dulux chart from when I arrived.

That is an impressive view VNA. I like being out there on my own. I was up Ben Lomond once and an Eagle flew by no more than 50 feet away, in the valley to the East of the mountain. It was spectacular. Just me, him and my mate.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #28 on: 06 October 2014, 10:02:42 am »
Adee and others. Some cracking pics there.

Did a but of this myself pre my daughter. Mostly on holiday but I've done the three highest in the UK. A few volcanos  :eek Soufrière in Monserrat (before that went bang), Mt Liamuigi St.Kitts, Vesuvius, Mt. Enta. Ibiza, Gran Caneria... That was a hot climb in the sun and got blistered to buggery. A few other small peaks. Col d'Aspin in the Pyranees.

I love the views, like being on top of the world.

I'm trying to get my daughter in to it now on holiday and have done a few up hill walks in the Brecon Beacons.

This was her first hill but I had to give her a shoulder ride up the last half. Once up there, though not very high, she was very excited at the views. She counts this small climb as a mountain  :lol Bless.

PS Please note the sensible footwear! Her walking boot were in my rucksak  ;)

Llangorse
« Last Edit: 06 October 2014, 10:09:28 am by Kosmic Kartman »
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #29 on: 06 October 2014, 12:53:46 pm »
Beautiful picture Kartman. I'm not letting you count Ibiza as a mountain though  ;) . I'm just back from there. The highest peak is 485 meters. Walking to the co-op is more of a climb for me  :lol .

Some of those volcanoes sound great though. The only volcano I have climbed is Mount Ngungun in Queensland, Australia. Its been dormant for a wee while though.
Not quite sure what to do with my early mid-life crisis. Ideas on a post card to P.O.BOX 150...

Kosmic Kartman

• Photo comp trophy
    July & September 2010
  • GP Hero
  • Champion on two, three & four wheels
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - KTM640LC4SM, XRX125SM
    • View Profile
    • Trackart.co.uk
« Reply #30 on: 06 October 2014, 03:35:07 pm »
Ibiza  :lol

I'll have look out for some other pics when I get an odd hour.
Some say that he eats habanero chilli peppers dipped in oil of capsaicin for extra bite and that his pyjamas are made from Nomex. All we know is, he's called Ad the Bad

bigbluebear

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Kawasaki Z1000SX
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: 06 October 2014, 06:38:56 pm »
I've done 22 Munroe's in my time....before I got married....happy days they were....not so foccin happy now

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #32 on: 07 October 2014, 10:15:48 pm »
I managed Ben Vorlich, the little hills and Stob Na Coinnich Bhacain today. I was (miss)informed that there was no direct path up Ben Vorlich, so I took the direct route. I was absolutely shitting it. About an hour up a very steep climb (apparently 45%) I stopped to catch my breath and have a look at the helicopter flying very close by, and for the first time I got a look at where I was. It was quite terrifying, as I am scared of heights. There were cliff walls I made my way around, but obviously as I had to move along the mountain, so I was sitting just above one. The drop was phenomenal, and the roll after would not have been pleasant. Then some arsehole PPI mob called me  :lol . It eased my nerves a bit and I moved on.

It took me 3 and a half hours to get up the convoluted route I took. I did however find a path just before the summit and made a mental note for my return leg, which took an hour down the mountain and another hour down the road. Just as well I found the path or that helicopter might have had to come back.

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #33 on: 07 October 2014, 10:19:34 pm »
A few more

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: 07 October 2014, 11:10:30 pm »
Now you did have a map, didn't you?

Also if you are on walkhighlands you can zoom into get 1:25000.  Bing maps is even better, full OS maps at 1:50000 and zoom into 1:25000.  If you huvnae got the OS map just print out what you need. 

There are lots of ways you get up Ben Vorlich.  The most popular way up by the looks of things is just short of where you chose to go up.   It's marked Lag Dubh on the map, and you can see it's not quite as steep and there's nae crags in the way. 

A lot if folks head up from Ardlui as well. 

Fine views from up there though - eh?

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
  • FOC-U official topiary expert
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: 09 October 2014, 09:45:21 pm »
This Is What It's All About!

Thought you might be interested in a typical 2 night wild camping walk from my 2 month Lake District trip.

Started at "base camp" near Keswick:

The smaller thing was an attempt at a simple bivi shelter, cut from an old tent. It didn't get used beyond this set up  :lol
Great views from this camp site though.

The walk started along the foot of Walla and Falcon Crags:

And on to Ashness Bridge:

And view back to Skiddaw:

From there, it was on to Watendlath, and then the climb up to Greenup Edge, past Blea Tarn:

It got really boggy here, and I shipped a couple of bootfulls. A tiring slog with full kit on my back, plus 2 days worth of food.

Helvellyn from atop Greenup Edge:

So evening was drawing on, and I'm getting really tired. Then I lost the path and wanted to find a place to stop for the night. Wandered over to the right; nope, only steep drops to the valley below. Ok, stop & think. This was where the mountain navigation course I'd done the previous weekend came in handy. Managed to identify where I was on the map, and used contours and features to pinpoint a likely place for camp. It showed some flat-ish areas, and a stream, so I'd have a water source for brews and cooking. Walked on a compass bearing and amazed myself when I hit on almost exactly the point I'd chosen!  :lol

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: 09 October 2014, 09:52:42 pm »
Evening camp that night:

Woke up to a beautiful morning; yes indeed, this is what it's all about!:

Set out, continuing along Greenup:

...to the top of High Raise:

Next destination was the Langdale Pikes:

View of Great Langdale from the top of Harrison Stickle, highest point on the Pikes:

Now heading down to Stickle Tarn, that night's camp site:

Did a bit of evening scrambling; once again, spot the tent:

And a last bit of evening sunshine on the crags, before turning in for the night:

This is why I want to move up to Cumbria!  :)

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #37 on: 09 October 2014, 10:37:26 pm »
It is very beautiful Nick. Very beautiful indeed. I can certainly see why you may want to move there. Don't go to the Austrian Alps, whatever you do. You'll be in lederhosen before you can say wunderbar.
Unfortunately your overnight wild campsite choice would only work in the winter here. Having water nearby is sure handy, the midge's would definitely agree!!! :lol

I am heading out on Saturday with my mate to tackle Ben Ime and Ben Vane. The weather is looking awful, which is nice. It adds to the challenge (although detracts from the photography).

Keep them pictures comming :)

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: 09 October 2014, 10:47:03 pm »
Have a good one Adee, go careful mate.

I'll see if I can put another little trip in pictures together at a later date.

Funny thing is, you do get midgies in the Lake District too. But I never had a problem in the hills, even on a still, warm evening. But I got eaten alive on my last morning at the campsite in Keswick; little buggers were waiting for me outside the tent first thing to say goodbye as I packed up for the last time!  :lol And no bloody open water there either  :\

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #39 on: 10 October 2014, 11:20:35 am »
little buggers were waiting for me outside the tent first thing to say goodbye as I packed up for the last time!  :lol 

:rollin :rollin :rollin

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: 10 October 2014, 11:31:35 am »
That's proper walking Nick!

As for figuring out where I am on a map, well I cheat these days, I use a Satmap loaded with full UK 1:50000 mapping.  I still carry the paper map and a compass.  The Satmap tells me where I am, the paper and compass tell me where to go next.

addeejay, Ime is usually done with Narnain and The Cobbler, but yeah plenty of folks, well the really keen ones, will combine Ime with Vane but bear in mind it will quite possibly be rough walking.    It's also a fair drop between the two. 

Also it looks as if the cloud will be down on Saturday, so you'll need nifty navigation to avoid the steep bits and hitting crags etc between those two peaks. 

Have fun.

Ben Vane;

Beinn Ime

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #41 on: 24 October 2014, 11:43:23 am »
I had a wee day out myself yesterday and climbed Ben More. It was raining when I started, but soon ended up, by far, the worst conditions I have ever faced on a mountain. The wind was so strong that I was getting blown over every time I lifted a foot to take a step. I went on my arse a few times. I was absolutely soaking wet. Never been so wet in my puff. I found myself wandering back down the mountain after ten minutes at the summit (that was enough, have a look at the video). Turns out I got completely disoriented and ended up walking round to the wrong side of the mountain. It was only because the clouds cleared for a few seconds to reveal Stob Binnein in the distance that I knew I was way off track. The map was useless up there (45+mph wind anyone). So I took a breath and headed back to the summit. I re-pointed myself from there and eventually found the faint trail. It took ages to get down too, as the water was starting to make its way off the mountain. So what had been walkable in the morning was not a stream or bog.

Well, that is another one climbed this year. I might retire at that... till the spring.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: 24 October 2014, 06:04:34 pm »
Sounds like you had fun DJ.

I think it's worth finding out where your limits lie weather wise.  You need to be wary of summit fever too, and very much so as we move into winter.

I crawled the last couple of 100 feet up onto Conival a couple of years ago, madness.  A bit of summit fever got hold of me that day.    It did kind of work out as I knew I should get shelter across the ridge to Ben More Assynt, so I pressed on.  And it did work out, it was like somebody switched the wind machine off as I dropped down onto the ridge between the two.  Heading back, a good look at the map helped me determine that when heading back off Conival, once I'd left the madness of the summit plateaux if I dropped off the ridge to the west a tad I might get a little shelter from the NE winds.  It worked treat.  Though still left me with a scary approach to the down scramble of the bealach, so was back on my hands and knees for that wee bit.

Another thing I find with high winds is it renders my poles useless.  So the wind and no poles makes taking a tumble much more likely.   But yeah I leaned one of my weather limits that day.  Was fun but not intention of trying such madness again.

Keep your map on the page you need in a map case.  Your map should not be rendered useless under any circumstances (though yeah wee accidents do happen!)  Get an Ortlieb one, they are worth the extra and will last much longer than the cheap ones.  If you know where you are (like on the summit) you should always be able to head in roughly the right direction on a compass bearing.  If the cloud is down keep an eye on that compass.  If you get blown about, and dodge round a few rocks or whatever it's so easy to end up heading in the wrong direction.

One way of navigating when the cloud is down is time and direction. 

I do like my GPS, it's pretty accurate and very reassuring tae ken exactly where you are.  So with GPS, even in a white out, you can still take a compass bearing with reference to your map with very reasonable confidence.  It may have saved my bacon a few times!

Should still be time for some more big, or biggish hills depending on the weather.  But once there's been a few good falls of snow yeah you need to do a bit of thinking before you head to the hills and you would need to invest a bit more in kit. 

Meanwhile I'm still stuffed.  Just about managing not to loose all my fitness, but still got some sort of hip issue.  I think it's a muscular issue.  So following my physio's advice I'm gonna start my swimming regime tomorrow.  How I hate swimming and bleedin swimming pools.

That's five months I've been struggling now.  Gonna be gutted if I don't start making some decent progress soon.  Winter hill walking can be absolutely magical.  I only go on good weather days and when the snow should be stable and on straight forward routes, but always well kitted out for possible bad weather and carrying the usual axe and crampons should they be required. 

Oh not been up Ben More yet.  Nice one.

How did Beinn Ime go?

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #43 on: 25 October 2014, 10:11:50 am »
Solid advice. Although in order to learn your limits, first you must pass them.

My map pocket was in the house, clearly not the best place for it. Waterproof/windproof gloves? In work. Waterproof trousers? In my bag. I put them on after I got soaked. Clean dry clothes to change in to? Loads of them at home, several hours away. That was the least prepared and worst conditioned mountain walk yet. I clearly was taken by summit fever. I knew it at the time. I sat and had my lunch at a small section that seemed to have the wind machine turned off, as you say. I got a text from my good lady asking how I was. I thought... The water  is dripping from my phone and from the inside of my jacket and my waterproof socks had become little bacteria swimming pools. My middle toe on the right foot was shredded to bits. My exposed face was in pain and everything in me said - STOP. GO BACK AND DO THIS ANOTHER DAY. For reasons best known to my subconscious, I ignored my gut, which has served me well over the years, and continued. Almost at the expense of a looooonnnnnggggg night on a cold, wet mountain.

Lesson learned. I would have felt a right fanny if I had to spend a night up there. That would not have been fun. And yesterday was not any better, so it would have been the same again.

I might take my GPS as back up next time. Just in case.

Good luck with your swimming and recovery.

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: 25 October 2014, 03:34:25 pm »
I tend to keep most of my stuff in my walking bag ready to go.
A quick check before you head out the door is a good idea.
You did well without gloves!  Bloody norra.    Absolutely essential this time of year.
A lot of people carry two pairs of gloves in winter (and basically it's winter up them hills now).  Losing a glove can be a disaster.  Can be bloody painful too defrosting a paw. 

It can though be invigorating going out in wild weather. 

Anyway weather forecasts are pretty accurate these days.  I start losing interest fast if it's less than 60% chance clear tops and 40mph winds or higher.  Worth paying attention to the cloud base, smaller hills can be clear tops when the bigger hills are in the clouds.  For me it's all about that view.

I think also if it's an iffy day and you still want to head out, bear in mind the further you drive to get to the bottom of the hill, ie the more effort you put in getting there the more likely hood you have of suffering a wee dose of summit fever. 

Did you do Vane and Ime?  Was wondering if you did how that went.  My guess is that it could be hard going between those two. 

Oh GPS.  Mine is a Satmap.  Had it for about 4 years now.  You can do all sorts of stuff with it.  But the main thing is that it has OS maps loaded and shows you exactly where you are on the OS map.  I know loads of people tut tut about the use of GPS, but I feel I've improved my navigation with it.  It's never let me down yet, but you've also got to bear in mind that electronic devices can decided to retire just when you need em most.   Bear in mind the compass built into the GPS is pish.  Also the GPS only shows you so much, I find I need to look at the map to get a feel of where I am and where to go next if I'm in the cloud.   So map and compass is still essential. 

Went to the pool this morning.  It's hard work getting anywhere wi just yer legs!  Made a start, so see how it goes.  Desperate for some fine cold settled winter weather and a day in the hills.

Hedgetrimmer

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: 25 October 2014, 04:04:57 pm »
I  For me it's all about that view.

but you've also got to bear in mind that electronic devices can decided to retire just when you need em most.   Bear in mind the compass built into the GPS is pish.  Also the GPS only shows you so much, I find I need to look at the map to get a feel of where I am and where to go next if I'm in the cloud.   So map and compass is still essential. 

Went to the pool this morning.  It's hard work getting anywhere wi just yer legs!  Made a start, so see how it goes.  Desperate for some fine cold settled winter weather and a day in the hills.

It can be very dispiriting to put in all that effort only to find you can't see anything when you get up there! All that hard work needs some reward apart from just the fitness-building side of things I think.

Not keen on GPS etc for those very reasons you've stated Andy. I understand that they have their uses, but best to familiarise oneself with ordinary map and compass first, and always carry them at least as back up. But only being able to see a small part of the map at a time is the main reason I don't use them, and this goes for when I'm exploring on the bike too. I like to see my location in a broader context of the area I'm in at a glance. That I find important on a bike when you can cover a lot of ground very quickly, but I can also see how fiddling with a GPS/Satmap could be a problem in poor conditions in the hills. When your energy levels and concentration are taxed already by high winds, wet, and biting cold, having to move the display around on a tiny screen and trying to keep the bigger picture in your head is the last thing you need. Not to mention batteries can freeze too!

Sometimes those bad-weather experiences can come in handy though; help you to deal with them if encountered again, and not only in reminding you how important it is to have warm, waterproof clothes with you, even on the brightest of summer days.

Hope your recovery goes well Andy. Those cold, clear winter days can be the best ones; hot work climbing those hills!

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: 25 October 2014, 04:25:48 pm »
Cheers Nick.

I think my problem is muscular, at least I hope it is, hopefully just a matter of gently building strength (swimming) and doing all the stretches till things settle down.  Hate swimming but I'll do anything to get back fit again.

I went for the GPS becuase I walk by myself.  I guess I'm out for 4 reasons, the view, helps VNA stay sane, to take photos and exercise.  It's the photos that screw up navigation, always stopping to take snaps.  Also I don't want to care about time when I'm in the hills.  Accurate navigation is all about time, distance direction.  So I don't fit the rules, and frankly I don't care for 'the rules'.

Yes I need and use the map.  Aye if the cloud is down I take my direction from the compass.  But the GPS serves one essential function that a map cannot when the cloud is down or there is a white out.  It tells me exactly where I am.

I've been lost before and didn't like it one bit. 

You can also have your planned route superimposed on the map, so you can see where you are in relation to where you intended to be :lol

This is the GPS I use.  Mine is the older lower res Active 10 version. 

https://satmap.com/

VNA - BMW Wank

• BMW Wank
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - BMW R1250R Honda C90
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: 25 October 2014, 04:35:53 pm »
Oh you can work that thing with gloved hands - no problem.   No touch screen crap, buttons and a joystick thing you can work wi big gloves on.     It automatically puts you in the centre of the screen (ie your position). 

If you set the power setting up correctly it will run for days and days on one charge. 

I use the rechargable li-on battery, but it will also run off AA Mi-Mh batteries and it runs pretty good on them too. 

I take it wi me on days out on the bike too.  Brilliant for finding those red phone boxes I have a thing about (I know I know I need help! :eek )

adeejaysdelight

• WSB Pack Hound
  • I love riding my bike!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
    • www.roadrashjeans.com
« Reply #48 on: 26 October 2014, 05:42:27 pm »
When I went out with my mate the other week we went to the area between Ben Narnain, Ben Ime and Ben Vane. I gave him the choice of which he preferred to climb. He chose Ben Narnain. Unfortunately we got to within 100 meters of the Trig-point and his vertigo kicked in big time. His legs basically gave out. I went on another 100 or so feet to check how close we were, whilst still having him in sight. I shouted over to him that I could see the trig point and that we were almost there. But he really could not continue. We sat for a bit, then (very slowly) began to make our way down. He said to me that I could go to the summit and pick him up on the way back. I declined and sat and had a fag with him instead.

I have been good friends with this guy for about 15 years. He introduced me to my wife to be. I really had no idea that he got the fear in that way. I also have vertigo, of sorts. But I also like to put myself in situations where I get the fear and push myself past it. I felt for him and he is determined to overcome this, and as his friend I will help him every step of the way. We will be back, and this time he knows what to expect.

As to Ben Ime and Ben Vane in a 'wanner, I will do that myself. It will require a reasonable level of fitness and some serious head down, heart rate up climbing if I am to achieve both summits in the short days of winter. I don't fancy another "episode" on the mountains.  :lol

slimwilly

• GP Hero
  • I love to ride them hills
    • Main bike:
      FZ1 Faired Gen2
    • View Profile
An ageing test pilot for home grown widgets that may fail at anytime.