Date: 28-03-24  Time: 19:25 pm

Author Topic: new to fzs 1000 advice pls  (Read 2548 times)

Carr

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
new to fzs 1000 advice pls
« on: 29 September 2014, 10:41:47 pm »
Hi all want to mod the bike as follows drop falks 10mm and rise the rear 25 or 40 mm ? change the bars ? fit a race can and jet kit ? any ideas cheers :)

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
Re: new to fzs 1000 advice pls
« Reply #1 on: 29 September 2014, 10:47:05 pm »
Pretty simple to drop the forks through the yokes 10mm. Different dog bones should raise the rear nicely.

Loads of renthal bar options (758's I think are the common ones).

Race cans are widely available and a matter of taste, and ivans performance supplies a jet kit as well.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 29 September 2014, 10:54:01 pm »

Boom boom boom :2guns Quick draw Mick straight in there with some solid answers.

What more is there to say.

Enjoy the thou....& welcome to the forum. 8)
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

nickodemon

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - Aprilia tuono V4
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 30 September 2014, 12:33:30 pm »
I wouldn't do both dropping the yokes 10mm and raising the rear end. Just do one or the other ;) . It's debatable which works better. Dropping the yokes is free!
If it's broken, it's not fixed.

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 30 September 2014, 03:07:48 pm »
I've got shorter dog bones (25mm jack-up kit) a height adjustable shock (Nitron) set to max height and have dropped the yokes by ~14mm. I did actually try all available combinations and reached the conclusion that for me the more weight you can get over the front the better as it makes the bike so much more nimble round the twisties. It's always going to be personal preference and I am 'thick set' which may make a difference to weight distribution, but I much prefer the way the bike handles almost like a sportsbike now, as opposed to the barge it was when I first bought it. So a thumbs up from me for the 25mm arse lift and 10mm dropped front, but I would add to your list replacing the OEM shock if you still have it fitted as it really isn't very good, check out the R6 mod if you're on a budget.

PaulSmith

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - Versys 1000 2016
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 30 September 2014, 04:02:48 pm »
Why? What is it you want to achieve with these changes? It may be that we know of ways to get the result you want that work better for this bike.

Captain Haddock

• Club Racer
  • Miserable Foccer.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - XT600E & TDM850 Mk2
    • View Profile
    • Gone boating!
« Reply #6 on: 30 September 2014, 05:30:40 pm »
For jet kit search this forum for ivanising, for rear shock mods go for Lukes R6 shock conversion and let him know the ride height you want to have and he'll probably do the dogbones to suit.
Both mods are well worth doing and give a superbly ridable bike with good grin factor.
Save the planet...It's the only one with beer!

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 03 October 2014, 10:39:21 am »
Don't fit a race can before you do the carbs.

mickvp

• Global Moderator
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 03 October 2014, 01:44:57 pm »

based on what? I had a race can on mine for 3 months before I had my carbs done, and many, many other members are still on standard carbs with aftermarket cans with no issues?

PieEater

• GP Hero
  • Thank You Melton Mowbray, Yamaha & Ivan
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2014, 03:40:59 pm »

based on what? I had a race can on mine for 3 months before I had my carbs done, and many, many other members are still on standard carbs with aftermarket cans with no issues?

I fitted an aftermarket end can (Fuel) to my Gen1 Fazer not long after I purchased it, as long as I kept the baffle in I didn't notice any difference in fueling / performance, just a nicer sound - which is what I was aiming for. Removing the baffle however made the bike bog down at low revs although it felt noticeably fitter towards the top end. Having the bike Ivanised obviously resolved all of the fueling issues, the bike still produces more power with the baffle out but is equally happy with it fitted. A "Race Can" to me implies an unbaffled can so I would kind of agree that this could in theory have a negative impact on the bikes low rev performance, with the proviso that if you spend most of your time in the upper rev range you could probably live with this. However if the OP meant a regular aftermarket can with a removable baffle then there shouldn't be a problem fitting this before having the bike Ivanised.

bwizz

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 02
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 19 October 2014, 08:36:28 pm »
My own experience of fitting a "race" can before doing the ivan carb mod . Souded great but lost low to mid  power !.Jet kit brought the power back
I was advised by the sites  well known Fazer thou expert, that this would happen and it did!