Date: 19-04-24  Time: 22:50 pm

Author Topic: low speed drop - fizzy lookouts?  (Read 2510 times)

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
low speed drop - fizzy lookouts?
« on: 26 September 2014, 08:54:09 am »
had a low speed drop today whilst braking, 10mph, over diesel at a roundabout near a newbuild estate; often see HGVs with fuel pissing out at the back in a cold morning as it was this morning at 6am. Bike went down on the l/h side and the front nose frame seems tilted up, toward the right; for example  the l/h mirror is about 7cm higher than the r/h side mirror; unable to visually discern whether the forks are 100% ok or the clamps/yolk, so thinking of sending the bike into my meachnic's shop for a checkover. anyone got a similar experience to share wrt to a Fizzy?
« Last Edit: 26 September 2014, 08:55:38 am by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
Re: low speed drop - fizzy lookouts?
« Reply #1 on: 26 September 2014, 08:56:42 am »
Could be the fairing mount bracket that's bent. The fairing and mirrors are bolted to it. They're cheap enough. Any damage to the fairing?

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 26 September 2014, 09:00:51 am »
Not a great deal of damage that can be seen visually:
- Alternator cover scraped and chewed at bottom
- L/h mirror back and edges scraped
- l/h nose fairing scuffing (palm sized to right of indicator
- l/h bar end scuffing
- l/h grip higher than right - bar doesnt appear bent or twisted , but something going on there

Had a givvy box on that took some of the damage

not too bad really

just the tilt of the fairing frame and potential front end geometry that I'm worried about
« Last Edit: 26 September 2014, 05:49:43 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

Arfa

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZ6 S2 07-09
    • View Profile
    • Beginner Biker Adventures
« Reply #3 on: 26 September 2014, 10:18:46 am »
Yep, almost certainly the fairing mounting bracket. Done this myself, a couple of times.

Your's box or fox eye? Box eye on is a funny rectangular affair - seem to be plenty on ebay. Fox eye one is just has two jutting out bits where mirrors bolt on through fairing. Tough to find 2nd hand and about £160 new (last time I checked). Also a bitch to bend back, really difficult to get just right.

Either way, strip off mirrors, screen, fairing and lights, and possibly clocks too. Then go at it with rubber mallet and brute force, whilst someone else holds bike still. Lots of minor adjustment and trial and error, as you keep checking how far off it is. It can be really disconcerting if it's off slightly as your lights and clocks will always look wrong when going straight, and so you subconsciously keep adjusting bars to match then end up drifting in the road... The skewiff fairing can also mislead you into thinking forks are out too. Also watch for headlights pointing up too high, you'll blind everyone (even when on dipped) and it may cause issues at MOT time too.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2014, 10:37:54 am »
Cheers Arfa, it's a boxeye - or a benteye now!

could have been a lot worse. I'll take some pics later this afternoon but the damage is cosmetic and I will sand down and flatten the alternator housing and respray; the plastic black behind the mirror needs repair - not sure how to repair plastic ; also minor repair needed to the fairing; no holes but again - not sure how to repair fairing.

I'm taking the bike to the mechanic at lunchtime and leaving it with him over the weekend. He has all the laser jigs and all that to test the front end - I'll ask him to do the levelling of the front fairing frame too (and lights)

Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2014, 10:44:04 am »
The fairing bracket is made with a soft metal, they can be manipulated fairly easily with a mallet and a bit of persuasion.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2014, 12:25:02 pm »
The fairing bracket is made with a soft metal, they can be manipulated fairly easily with a mallet and a bit of persuasion.
cheers for the hint mate; I just decided that as I will be dropping the bike off and leaving it with him to test out the front end and geometery then he could also sort the nose out but that might cost in time/effort if he doesnt need to take it off?? I will speak to him and tell him I will straighten the nose if he doesnt need to take it off.
Cheers again, I'm off to hobble to the bike now and limp to his garage slow time
Three lefts make a right

Paul

• Weekend Warrior
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 26 September 2014, 12:25:27 pm »
I think they look better without a fairing personally.

You could always convert it to a 'naked Fazer'

I did it to both of mine.

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 26 September 2014, 01:05:34 pm »

I have a left mirror, left mirror bracket...plus a reconditioned fairing bracket in the noggy shop should the need for more parts arise.....the bracket iust painted with black hammerite direct to rust paint.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 26 September 2014, 04:16:12 pm »
cheers fellas; noggy - I'll stand by one that offer if I can , the bike is in with the shop - didnt expect him to take it and work on it today/tomorrow. He is stripping the front end and will test for tubes runout , fork and wheel alignment, rims, bars and general health of geometry. I didnt have chance to take pics - he took it right off me.

In the interim, is there any tips on how to repair plastic scuff/scrapes about hand palm size to the back of the mirror and fairing - I'm searching youtube but not found anything yet
Three lefts make a right

72 chamb

• CBT Wobbler
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 26 September 2014, 05:21:05 pm »
I had scuffs on my mirrors and used different grade wet and dry paper until smooth..i used boot poish to colour  and shine...ill find a picture. .

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 26 September 2014, 05:44:18 pm »
Hey tweety...hows your handlebars...i dont have any but seriously those cheesestrings things have more strength than standard fazer bars.

I bet they're bent but it wont be obvious while they're on the bike.....if youve bent the front bracket and scuffed the mirror then why wont the bars be bent........mine bent right in and dinged the petrol tank but i crashed at 50mph.......but still they didnt look too bent until i took them off......renthals are the way forward :evil [size=78%] [/size]
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 26 September 2014, 05:49:04 pm »
Hey tweety...hows your handlebars...i dont have any but seriously those cheesestrings things have more strength than standard fazer bars.

I bet they're bent but it wont be obvious while they're on the bike.....if youve bent the front bracket and scuffed the mirror then why wont the bars be bent........mine bent right in and dinged the petrol tank but i crashed at 50mph.......but still they didnt look too bent until i took them off......renthals are the way forward :evil

good spot mate! I just checked my posts (http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,14837.msg168084.html#msg168084)  and I omitted to mention that the l/h grip seems higher than the r/h. didn't look bent but I mentioned it to the mechanic and he sat on, tried it, looked down the tubes and said "mmm, strange" - not looking good then.
edited the post http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php/topic,14837.msg168084.html#msg168084
« Last Edit: 26 September 2014, 05:50:11 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 26 September 2014, 05:52:01 pm »
I had scuffs on my mirrors and used different grade wet and dry paper until smooth..i used boot poish to colour  and shine...ill find a picture. .
cheers pal; I've got some 80, 200, 500 and 1200 so will do this when the bike is back. Doesnt need to be professional - just a quick tidy up. I've got some black satin plastikote lying around unopened so that's going to get cracked open soon.
Three lefts make a right

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 26 September 2014, 06:07:37 pm »
With the fairing and clocks off, I have used a wooden shovel handle wedged in to great effect (without out the shovel attached to it). :D You can bend it up or down in or out with the handle located to suit. Great leverage with the handle and it is cheaper than the bracket to buy  :lol

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 26 September 2014, 06:17:48 pm »
With the fairing and clocks off, I have used a wooden shovel handle wedged in to great effect (without out the shovel attached to it). :D You can bend it up or down in or out with the handle located to suit. Great leverage with the handle and it is cheaper than the bracket to buy  :lol
ah, now I am defo going to try that - next time , as this time it's in the garage anyway and he's stripping the front off anyway so he can check stuff off the bike
Three lefts make a right

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 27 September 2014, 03:59:13 pm »
Bike back. Front end OK save a slightly tilted faring and l/h bar 4cm higher than r/h end. Used a rubber hammer to knock the l/h grip down. Feels fine now. Measured both sides from floor to centre of bar end bolt. Same height. No discernments to the bar integrity, not looking crased or cracked. Taking front of tomorrow to set the nose. Just need to repair plastics...pics attached? Best idea for repair ??? Sorry about the angles... This focin phone camera has a mind of its own
« Last Edit: 27 September 2014, 04:03:57 pm by tweetytek »
Three lefts make a right