Date: 28-03-24  Time: 10:55 am

Author Topic: 1999 Yamaha Fazer 600 rattling / tapping noise / cam chain / blowing ?  (Read 2991 times)

MarkW7

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile

This has just happened on my Fazer, it's making a rattling noise it sounds like it's coming from the top of the engine. Also sounds like it's blowing, I've tightened all of the exhaust manifold nuts up but the third pipe along does seem loose / has play inside the manifold.

Video above.

Any ideas?

unfazed

• GP Hero
  • Never ride faster than your guardian angel can fly
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - FZS1000 05-06, Serow 2000
    • View Profile
Re: 1999 Yamaha Fazer 600 rattling / tapping noise / cam chain / blowing ?
« Reply #1 on: 25 September 2014, 12:02:15 am »
Remove the downpipes and check them for holes especially under the engine and replace the manifold gaskets. Definitely a hole or crack somewhere.

Careful with the manifold nuts and studs they are only supposed to have 10Nm torque and are easily broken  :eek

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 25 September 2014, 01:08:21 am »
Sounds like an exhaust leak to me too. My exhaust looked perfect no rust anywhere but it had rusted behind the clamps and all four had to be welded. Like unfazed said be really careful with the nuts and studs. They're too small imo they should be M8 and the nuts should be closed at the top not open. Make sure you use plenty of penetrating fluid and work the nuts back and forward to clear the crap out of the threads.

MarkW7

• Cager in Training
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 25 September 2014, 11:37:51 pm »
I'll get them removed and checked, what sort of replacement exhaust gaskets do I need I have searched and I can see copper and fibre. Are there any recommended ones?

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 26 September 2014, 08:54:23 am »
The original ones are copper. I've seen aluminium ones too. Don't think it makes any difference which ones you use.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 26 September 2014, 10:55:18 am »
Think they're actually called aluminium fibre!
Personally I'd go copper, but it's still just a gasket so doubt it really matters which ones you choose, they're probably a similar price anyway!
Make sure you give the area a good scrape out and clean where the gaskets sit, a good dollop of grease will keep them in place when refitting.
My exhaust was blowing a bit on my first MOT and it turned out that the previous owner had put the new gaskets on top of the old ones!  :rolleyes
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 26 September 2014, 11:00:05 am »
The header nuts are only torqued up to 10Nm as well so don't go mad on them as it feels like they need much more.
And keep checking the nuts for a couple of weeks because vibration makes them bed in and they tend to slacken off a bit with movement.
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.