Date: 26-04-24  Time: 05:40 am

Author Topic: grumpy old man or DVLA taking the pi$$  (Read 2135 times)

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
grumpy old man or DVLA taking the pi$$
« on: 22 September 2014, 02:26:45 pm »
Well the road tax is due on the MT, £44 for 6 months or £80 for the year. So that works out at 10% intrest if you pay it in 2 installments, erm no that would be the case if you got the tax now and paid for it in 12 months time, what you are doing is paying £44 now (borrowing £36 for 6 months) so now the rate has gone up to 44.5%, arr but there's the extra cost involved in.......... not printing two tax discs not posting two envelopes ........just an electronic transfer which costs about the same as a text does.
I think the rate should be £40 and £80  but then who would pay for the full year? I'm paying the full amount as I get about 1.5% on my savings.

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
Re: grumpy old man or DVLA taking the pi$$
« Reply #1 on: 22 September 2014, 02:35:57 pm »
I bought mine on Sunday morning online and thought 10% extra for the year was a bit steep. Instead I did a 6 month one so I could ride the bike and plan to go to the monthly payment once that runs out.
Another ex-Fazer rider that is a foccer again

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 22 September 2014, 04:46:49 pm »
I bought mine on Sunday morning online and thought 10% extra for the year was a bit steep. Instead I did a 6 month one so I could ride the bike and plan to go to the monthly payment once that runs out.

:eek :think :think :think :think :think  :eek
The 10% comes from buying 6months..
are they charging to do monthly instalments as well?
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #3 on: 22 September 2014, 05:37:31 pm »
yes they will be charging for monthly payments but it is meant to be less than the 6 month increase and you don't need to remember to renew it every year as it keeps rolling on as long as you have MOT and insurance..
« Last Edit: 22 September 2014, 05:40:12 pm by BBROWN1664 »

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 22 September 2014, 06:06:06 pm »
Well the road tax is due on the MT, £44 for 6 months or £80 for the year. So that works out at 10% intrest if you pay it in 2 installments, erm no that would be the case if you got the tax now and paid for it in 12 months time, what you are doing is paying £44 now (borrowing £36 for 6 months) so now the rate has gone up to 44.5%, arr but there's the extra cost involved in.......... not printing two tax discs not posting two envelopes ........just an electronic transfer which costs about the same as a text does.
I think the rate should be £40 and £80  but then who would pay for the full year? I'm paying the full amount as I get about 1.5% on my savings.

Mate ---- you should be in number 11
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

JoeRock

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 22 September 2014, 09:02:36 pm »

Mate ---- you should be in number 11

I have no idea where you're getting £36 from? It is a 10% increase if you pay it apart - it's either £80 or £88?

chaz

• WSB Pack Hound
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 22 September 2014, 10:59:00 pm »
Joerock............. if you tax it for 6 months you pay £44 now so you defer payment of the rest of the £80 for 6 months that = £36 you then pay another £44  so you have paid £8 extra to "borrow" £36 for 6 months, it's as clear as a foggy night?

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 22 September 2014, 11:28:14 pm »
If you can afford to own and ride a bike then you can afford to tax it.
Accountant perchance?  :lol
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

Dead Eye

• GP Hero
  • What doesn't kill me, will only make me stronger.
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2014, 11:34:44 pm »
I've never found motorcycle tax to be much of a problem... after a few years of paying tax on a carbon spewing car, it's certainly not of the same calibre :P

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 23 September 2014, 08:37:42 am »
Per mile my bike costs me more than doubble to tax than my car does due to the milage done on the bike, so I would prefer the tax to be on the fuel,but then you end up paying tax to cut your grass so that can of petrol is now a can of worms  :z
« Last Edit: 23 September 2014, 08:40:40 am by fazersharp »

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 23 September 2014, 08:54:18 am »
Per mile my bike costs me more than doubble to tax than my car does due to the milage done on the bike, so I would prefer the tax to be on the fuel,but then you end up paying tax to cut your grass so that can of petrol is now a can of worms  :z

Dave48

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - MT-07 Tracer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 23 September 2014, 09:25:32 am »
Cage:    5 years old   1100cc VED £30 per annum Average mpg 55. Annual mileage 8000
Bike :    11 years old  600cc  VED £58  "      "           "         "     55      "        "        3000

Surely the only fair way would be to tax vehicle use-the more you drive/ride the more you wear the road out! :lol  This myth of "Road Tax" persists- its a vehicle tax since none of it is used to maintain the roads. The simplest way to achieve this would be extra duty on fuel-the more you drive-the more you pay. This in turn might encourage some drivers to rethink their car use-my own particular pet hate is the school run drivers who cause chaos around the local schools each weekday morning/afternoon in their whopping great kiddie carriers. Dont any kids walk anywhere anymore?

BBROWN1664

• Administrator
  • GP Hero
  • Should get out more!
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - Tracer 900
    • View Profile
    • My website
« Reply #12 on: 23 September 2014, 10:27:58 am »
:agree

Add the duty to fuel. That way I would not have to pay when the vehicles are not being used. At the moment in my house we have the following:

My car - Used 4-5 times a week at the moment but paying £250 (ish) a year for tax so I can park it in the road.
My van - Used once a week on average but paying £250 (ish) a year for tax so I can park it in the road.
My bike - used once a month on average but paying £80 a year
Wifes car - used daily paying £200 ish a year
Sons car - Used fec all as he is at university but paying £250 (ish) a year for tax so I can park it in the road.
Sons bike - will probably get SORN when it runs out as he is away at Uni and we keep it off road.

Other years I will do 20,000 business miles and accept I would pay more for tax but the fairest way is to pay as you use. The government made a big thing about car tax being related to emissions. Fuel consumption is directly related too really. The more fuel you use, the more you pay.

midden

• Operation Foc-UTree
  • GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 02-03
    • - Falcon Stealth
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 23 September 2014, 10:53:49 am »
At the end of the day it is down to the individual how many miles he/she does on a bike. Perhaps seasonal bikes used say below 2k miles a year should attract a enhanced 'luxury' tax.

As for the original post I tend to think of tax being 88 quid a yr and I get 10% multi buy purchase discount
Women have chocolate men have bikes.....
including ones who like chocolate....;)

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 23 September 2014, 11:21:44 am »
. Perhaps seasonal bikes used say below 2k miles a year should attract a enhanced 'luxury' tax.
:nana