Date: 16-04-24  Time: 22:49 pm

Author Topic: 2000 Boxeye model what to look for  (Read 3464 times)

Lukaz2205

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
2000 Boxeye model what to look for
« on: 21 September 2014, 09:49:02 am »
Hi, I have bought a 2000 plate box eye model, paid a very good price for it and its been sitting in a hedge for the past 6 years.
I know it has cracked carb rubbers which I know is an issue on these, anything else which its known to have problems with?
Brakes need a good clean up and the engine paint needs redoing as its apparently over heating and got told head gasket.  (although I think its more likely the radiator being jet washed within an inch of its life and has hardly any fins lol).

And any mods which don't cost the earth to do that make it worthwhile to Sell if I do decide to?

Thanks

fazersharp

• GP Hero
  • 10 stone Racing Snake
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 98-99
    • View Profile
Re: 2000 Boxeye model what to look for
« Reply #1 on: 21 September 2014, 11:57:39 am »
A HEDGE  :eek
I don't do rain or threat there of. dry rider only with no shame.

tweetytek

• Club Racer
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • - RR900, SV650
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: 21 September 2014, 01:08:20 pm »
Who left it there :eek
'Known problems', .... Wtf just check it over, especially the straighness of frame and forks
Three lefts make a right

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: 21 September 2014, 01:16:24 pm »
Overheating could be as simple as needing a radiator flush.
Once the waterways get clogged up it will boil the coolant like a kettle.
Start with Radflush treatment.

6 years in a hedge will mean a tough time ahead to be truthful.
And i'd imagine the calipers are seized completely?
More people are born because of alcohol than will ever die from it.

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: 21 September 2014, 01:18:50 pm »
Tyres plus chain & sprockets (and upgraded front sprocket nut) will need replacing too.

Lukaz2205

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: 21 September 2014, 03:40:30 pm »
Thanks for your replies.
I know the main ones i.e. tyres etc being a qualified Motorcycle Mechanic but its the nitty gritty Fazer only type of things I want to look for. Carb rubbers I know of but I've read on here front sprocket nut is another?

And  yeah, a hedge. I think t lhe guy who had it before the guy I got it off of, thought the head gasket had gone and parked it up in the hope of repair.

6 years later and no one trimming the hedge left it half in it lol.

Callipers are not attached but I dont think its completely seized I think its just a bit stiff.
Need to whack a battery on it to fond true mileage but service history shows it at 7600ish in 2002 before the last owner got it and then its paperless lol

Either way im happy with the price I paid for it if anyone wants to harbour a guess.

Got a Datatool alarm and immaculate tank and plastics

darrsi

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS600 00-01
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: 21 September 2014, 04:23:32 pm »
The original 9mm front sprocket nut has been known to strip its thread, come loose or worst case vanish altogether. Actually on my bike it fused itself on and it took my mechanic a while to get off.
Not everybody has had problems, but there are far too many that have.
Yamaha know about the issue and made a new 12mm upgrade nut with a few more threads on it.
Old torque setting was 70Nm, and the new one is 90Nm, but a few people on here, including myself, still don't have full faith in that so opted for 80Nm instead.
But that's a personal choice you need to make.
Be interesting to know the actual mileage though.
Only other thing is cam chain rattle will eventually appear at some stage, but that's a mileage question again?
They really appreciate a K&N air filter too, and they run a bit rich as standard so no need to tweak the carbs.
Other than that, if you're a mechanic then the rest will be obvious to you. :)

Lukaz2205

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: 21 September 2014, 08:24:00 pm »
Yeah just need to grab myself a Yamaha Factory workshop manual so I can go over it properly.

I rode my friends 2002 facelift model fazer and I love how smooth it is through the Rev range and how it just pulls and pulls.
Always been a honda man apart from the time I dabbled on a cheap Kwak and that ate money lol

Might be a full time convert ;)

His Dudeness

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      I don't own a bike
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: 22 September 2014, 02:29:02 am »
Yeah just need to grab myself a Yamaha Factory workshop manual so I can go over it properly.

I rode my friends 2002 facelift model fazer and I love how smooth it is through the Rev range and how it just pulls and pulls.
Always been a honda man apart from the time I dabbled on a cheap Kwak and that ate money lol

Might be a full time convert ;)

All the manuals are in the download section http://foc-u.co.uk/index.php?action=downloads;cat=2

Lukaz2205

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: 03 October 2014, 10:26:36 pm »

Apologies for the massive picture, still haven't figured how to make them smaller.

this is the beast i bought for the princely sum of £200 and came with a free paddock stand, and a MIG welder! ;) not too bad as far as i can see, has a Datatool Alarm and is 98% standard, only things that aren't is the Crash bars and the Carbon hugger w/ chainguard.
i got told it was overheating so the headgasket had gone, im sure that the radiator is the issue although it could be both (although i hope not!)

as i can see, its going to need:

Tyres front and rear
Battery
Fuses (missing for some reason, my guess is because the alarm went loopy!)
Pads front and rear, maybe new brake pins and seals.
Inlet manifold rubbers
Chain although I'm sure i can clean up but if i cant then a new one of them will be needed.
service kit (obviously!)
Radiator (the reason i think its over heating in the first place)

if anyone can see or recommend anything to look at then feel free to drop a hint :)

Lukaz2205

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: 03 October 2014, 10:27:50 pm »

Lukaz2205

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: 03 October 2014, 10:28:29 pm »

Lukaz2205

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: 03 October 2014, 10:30:30 pm »

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: 03 October 2014, 10:47:43 pm »

Get it stripped i say......not worth the hassle.....i dread to think the hassle you'll have with it but that doesn't matter because for a couple hundred squid you'll still make a good profit flogging it off for the good bits instead of patching it up and some poor innocent bastard buying it.
Easiest way to go fast........don't buy a blue bike

Lukaz2205

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: 03 October 2014, 10:49:37 pm »
motor aside, its in pretty decent nick. the only horrible bits are the rad, the metal tube that the rad hose goes onto the left hand side, and the exhaust studs are a bit cack
 rest of it will clean up quite well

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: 03 October 2014, 11:08:37 pm »
motor aside, its in pretty decent nick. the only horrible bits are the rad, the metal tube that the rad hose goes onto the left hand side, and the exhaust studs are a bit cack
 rest of it will clean up quite well

Yeh but the bad bits are the major bits....the engine ill bet is focced......i dunno something seems a bit iffy here..does it have a sprocket nut attached?.......how does it ride?......are the down pipes solid and not blowing?...& will they come off without snapping the studs if the engine is even useable?...apart from being in a hedge do you know any of the bikes history and mileage....clearly the forks have seen better days and it has been ridden under the sea.....is the rear shock original?.

Maybe a couple of decent daylight pics will shed more light on the condition.

Im not trying to piss on your parade...i really hope you can do something with it but i just dont agree with spending a few quid & jobs a good'n..........rightly or wrongly i just stripped an old 600 which was crash damaged & it looked gleaming in comparison.

All that aside though you've come to the right place......if you're crazy enough to fix it then theres plenty loons on here to help you. 8)

red98

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      FZS 1000 Gen1
    • - FZS600,CB400/4,X7,CB250
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: 04 October 2014, 07:10:08 am »
looks like a good project to me  :) ..... a little time spent getting it going,bolt on the calipers and take it for a ride,you`ll soon see what its like,£200 was a very good price and as noggy has already stated it will break for more than that....dont listen to him though hes from wales  :eek ....sort the old girl out with a bit of tlc and get another of these great bikes back on the road.....good luck with the re-build and dont forget to keep us posted   :thumbup   
One, is never going to be enough.....

noggythenog

• GP Hero
    • Main bike:
      Other
    • - TRX Noggyfighter
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: 04 October 2014, 07:59:51 am »

Also although i've been a little negative........i do happen to have a perfectly useable radiator from my bike......all that is wrong with it is that 1 of the decorative side trim bolts has snapped off inside so it cant have them on it....it is ready to fit, complete with the fan and connections intact. 8)

& i kept those pipes....perfect condition & oiled up & in my shed.....i mean the noggyshop £££££££££££  :)

Lukaz2205

• Cager in Training
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: 04 October 2014, 08:58:24 pm »
was looking on the old Ebay gathering prices etc, and saw a pattern Rad for £63 and a Delkovich one for £130 (i know Delkovich make some quality gear and was wondering whether it was worth the extra as the original is fooked).

and regarding the Manifolds cracking, is it just Genuine Yamaha ones or is it any where its exposed to the elements?

a lot of it does look shit, but the pictures make it look worse than it is most of it i'll be able to clean up and respray motor included, im gonna take it apart to have a detailed inspection to see whats what and do all the valve clearances etc.

Brakes are going to be overhauled but the pad pins are rusted to shit so going to need new ones. is it worth sticking with Genuine or is there any feasible upgrades in terms of quality on some parts?

i'll go over it and get it running and clean it up and post some pictures :)